At the request of the Lisburn City Council Marketing Department,
all churches in Dunmurry and West Belfast are now featured
online on the ‘All Churches in the Lisburn City Council area’
section of this website
www.lisburn.com. The article, which includes pictures of the
church and the minister, also includes a brief history of each
church from the oldest to the youngest.
The Very Rev. William McMillan, M.B.E.
First Presbyterian Church
(Non-Subscribing ) Dunmurry.
The oldest church in the Dunmurry area,
featured on the website, is the First Presbyterian Church
(Non-Subscribing) Dunmurry, and the history of this beautiful
old church was compiled by the minister, the Very Rev. William
McMillan. The congregation was established in 1676 and a
meetinghouse was built on this site of which no traces remain.
In 1714 a second church was built, part of which forms the
return of the present meetinghouse, which was built in 1779.
The Very Rev. Austin McGirr, P.P.
Church of the Nativity, Poleglass.
turbine at the Church of the Nativity, Poleglass.
The newest church in the Dunmurry area
featured on the website is the Church of the Nativity at
Poleglass, which was opened in September 2004. The parish of
Poleglass was established in 1980 and the Parish Priest is the
Very Rev. Austin McGirr, who is assisted by the Rev. Eugene
Lewis, M.Afr. C.C. A notable landmark at this modern church is
the wind turbine, which is used to generate electricity for the
Parish Community Centre and the Church, with estimated savings
of as much as £3,000 a year. The article on this church also
provides a link to the church’s own website which shows the
beautiful stained glass windows and the church at various stages
The 11 Dunmurry and 4 West Belfast churches
recently added brings the total number of churches featured on
the Lisburn website to 159. This includes all 129 churches in
Lisburn City Council area plus 30 churches in the outlying areas
of Dromore and Crumlin. If you know of any church in the Lisburn
area that has been omitted, please email Jim Collins at: