Presbyterian Church was put up for sale this week as plans
to develop a new church in the centre of the village take
The 19th Century Church at Ashley Park, as well as
the Manse, are being sold for development, whilst Rev John
Braithwaite and his congregation focus on developing a new
church and community facilities at the site of the church
hall in the centre of Dunmurry.
The asking price for the church and manse, which is being
marketed by DTZ McCombe Pierce, is £1.5 million and
according to the estate agent, it will be a popular sale.
Looking to the future at the new church, Rev Braithwaite
explained: "The architects are drawing up plans at the
moment but they haven't been finalised or approved by the
"We looked at the possibility of renovating the church
halls but felt it was a better idea to demolish them and
rebuild the church complex. It will be a very modern complex
with extensive facilities.
"The worship area will be smaller than our present church
but it will meet the needs of a modern congregation."
Rev Braithwaite said he hoped the move to the centre of
the village would encourage new members and ensure the
church remained at the heart of the Dunmurry community.
"There is significant development going on in the area and
we want to be well placed for that," continued Rev
Braithwaite. "The congregation has declined over the years
but there is a lot of life here and we hope this move will
provide the facilities needed for the 21st century."
Depending on planning permission, Rev Braithwaite is
hopeful the new church will be up and running by 2009 and is
looking forward to the move.
"It is a very exciting time," he added. "It gives us an
opportunity for a new beginning with facilities designed for
the 21st century.'
DUNMURRY Presbyterian side of the railway
line from the Church opened in 1863 and was church hall and
the view of the enlarged in 1903. church is a familiar
Dunmurry The church is on the opposite landmark for
commuters by train.
This congregation was first erected
between the years 1676 and 1683 and in January 1683, Mr.
Alexander Glass was the ordained minister.
The current church building was built in
the 1860s and a cheap railway service made Dunmurry popular
as a suburban residence, so that the capacity of the church
In 1903 the church was enlarged.
The present minister, the Rev. John Braithwaite,
previously in Mountjoy and Drumlegagh, Co. Tyrone, was
installed in June 1990 and will be moving with his
congregation to the new church in the centre of Dunmurry.