Beanstown Mission Hall
The Beanstown Mission Hall, on the Beanstown Road, Pond Park
will regrettably be demolished due to major road
reconstruction in the area.
The final service on Sunday 27th July at 3.30pm will be an
opportunity for many to give thanks for the faithful Christian
witness carried out in the hall, which has served the community
for 87 years.
The preacher will be the Rev Ronnie McCracken and the soloist
will be Derek Greenaway.
Everyone will be made most welcome.
Brief history of Beanstown Mission Hall
In the early 1900's, Mr William Orr, a member of Magheragall
Presbyterian Church began holding afternoon meetings in the
living room of his home at Ivy Hill Cottage on the Ivy Road,
Derriaghy. The meetings were well attended for many years, but
in 1920 Mr. Orr felt the need for a more central meetinghouse.
He approached a Miss Boomer, and asked for permission to hold
Gospel Meetings in a portion of her cottage on the Beanstown
Road. Miss Boomer approved and a Sunday afternoon Gospel Meeting
has been held there ever since.
They soon found that there was insufficient room for the numbers
attending the meetings and another section of the cottage was
In 1921/2 a Gospel Mission was held, led by Mr. Tommy Haire. Mr
Haire was a plumber by profession and was well known in those
days as the 'Preaching Plumber.' Numbers continued to grow and
the full use of the hall as it exists today was granted.
In October 1923, the Faith Mission Pilgrims were invited to hold
a Gospel Mission in the hall. Led by Miss Joan Harper from
Scotland, the six-week Mission was so popular that separate
meetings were held for children in order to accommodate the
numbers of adults attending. During the Mission the fellowship
at Beanstown witnessed a 'Mini Revival' and as a result of this,
the Prayer Union was formed. They met on Wednesday evenings at
8.00pm and these meetings have continued ever since.