Exiles Forum

Lisburn, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland


30 years service award for Derriaghy Scout Leader Mervyn Fleming

Mervyn Fleming pictured receiving the award from David Hilland and Noel Irwin.

Mervyn Fleming, 1st Derriaghy Group Scout Leader, received the Chief Scout�s 30 Years Service Award at an award ceremony in Derriaghy Scout Hall on Tuesday 10th June. The certificate, in recognition of 30 years service to scouting, was presented by Noel Irwin, Lisburn and District Scouts Commissioner, who also presented Chief Scout Silver Awards to Cub Scouts Alex O�Hare and Ian Hilland.

Formerly known as 11th Belfast Scouts, the name was changed to 1st Derriaghy Scouts in 1934, when they became part of Lisburn and District Scouts. Formed in Derriaghy Parish in 1911 with the Rev T J Armstrong as Scoutmaster and Edward Brown as his Assistant, meetings were held in Derriaghy School. Edward joined the Army in 1914 and was promoted to Lieutenant in April 1916. Regrettably, he was killed in action by a grenade near Ypres on the 7th August 1917 aged 25 and was carried back to the British lines where he was buried in the Huts Cemetery, Dickebusch, Belgium. Prior to joining the army, Edward played for Lisnagarvey Hockey Club and was goalkeeper for the 1st XI. Lisnagarvey�s original colours, light and dark blue, were chosen to represent the newly formed scout troop and these colours have been retained to this day. The Scout Troop has a close relationship with Derriaghy Parish Church and down the years has received help, encouragement and practical leadership from the Rectors and Curates.

The above brief history of 1st Derriaghy Scouts was compiled largely from a book entitled �Christ Church Derriaghy, A Short History of the Parish� by the Rev W N C Barr - Rector (1961-1990) and from �Lisburn�s dead from the Great War 1914-1919� by Mr Pat Geary, History Department, Friends� School, Lisburn.