Our next visit is to Lisburn and I have outlined the programme with some brief introductory information overleaf.
|Meet at the Chestnut Suite, Lagan Valley Island for a reception and welcome to the City of Lisburn by the Mayor.
|There are two guided tours in the morning and two in the afternoon both following the same route:
|Tour 1. Visiting Wallace Park, Lisburn Railway Station and The Bridge.
|Tour 2. Visiting the Lisburn Historic Quarter including Castle Gardens, Lisburn Cathedral, Castle Street and Bridge Street.
|Lunch (not included in the price) followed by a guided tour (at around 1.30pm) of the Lagan Valley Island, an impressive example of our future heritage.
|Depart for guided Tours 1 and 2.
|Each tour will take approximately one and a half hours. The day will finish at around 4pm.
|�10 per person. �5 for children over 10 and free for younger people.
|Can be purchased at the Lagan Valley Island
Please note: packed lunches cannot be taken into the Lagan Valley Island building.
|Free parking is provided at the Lagan Valley Island.
|Participation is by reservation and payment by 4 June 2005.
|LISBURN HISTORIC TOUR - BOOKING SLIP
|Reservation for how many places
|Payment enclosed of
|(or ring direct to the Society and pay by credit card)
|Member of the UAHS
|The Secretary, UAHS/FoWP,
66 Donegall Pass, Belfast, BT71BU
or telephone weekdays 9am to fpm 028 9055 0213
LISBURN HISTORIC QUARTER
The development of the Historic Quarter is an ambitious and exciting initiative which will confirm Lisburn's strong retailing reputation and act as a focus for further investment.
For many hundreds of years, Lisburn's strategic location on the River Lagan made it an important economic hub linking Belfast and Dublin. The area now known as the Historic Quarter was first laid out in the 17th Century. It falls within a designated Conservation area which includes Market Square, Castle Street and Bridge Street. This area was destroyed by the great fire of 1707 but an attractive 18th Century streetscape was rebuilt on the original layout and this has remained largely unchanged to the present day.
CASTLE GARDENS RESTORATION SCHEME
The Council's Historic Quarter initiative has embarked on one of the largest heritage projects under-taken in Northern Ireland; the restoration of Lisburn City's Castle Gardens. Preliminary work to restore Castle Gardens, one of the City's most historical landmarks, to its former glory has begun. The regeneration scheme will transform Castle Gardens over the next three years with major refurbishment and restoration work undertaken. The project is intended to enhance and develop the Gardens, making them a major attraction in the city centre for residents and visitors. Funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund has already been secured.
The People's Park, 25 acres, a gift from Sir Richard Wallace: extract from the Grant dated 22 June 1885 'whereas the said Sir Richard Wallace hath freely and voluntarily agreed to grant and convey the piece or parcel of land ... as and for a Public Park or Recreation Ground for the inhabitants of the Borough or Town of Lisburn'. Sir Richard Wallace financed the building of the bandstand, entrance gates and gate lodges. Dean's Walk, named after Dean Stannus: a public right of way for over 150 years; the entitlement of the people of Lisburn to pass this way is an established part of the history of the town. The cricket ground, given by Sir Richard Wallace, dates from 1854, although cricket in Lisburn dates back to 1836. Boundary stones at the four corners of the cricket pitch are inscribed 'RW.' The pond on the elevated site at Fort Hill is the original old town reservoir which supplied water to the town through wooden pipes. Lisburn Wheeler's Cycling Club was formed in 1897. A cycle track was formed in the park and a banked track was opened in 1953. The velodrome is a unique feature of the park.
We will then enter Lisburn Historic Quarter and view the almost perfect historical railway station and Lisburn's own inland warship.