by JENNY MONROE
Back Row Mr N McClelland, Mr R Yamin-Ali, Mr F
Hastings, Mr McCarrison, Mr J Mulholland, Mr D Osbourne,
Mr D Stein, Mr R Robinson, Mr R Sloan, Mr C George, Mr R
Bingham, Mr E Adams, Mr J Falloon. Front Row Mr A
McCartney, Miss EM Kerr, Mr D Malcolmson, Miss H McComb,
Mr R Willis, Miss D McCallister, Mr J Graham, Mrs P
Leckey, Alderman S Semple, Mrs JM Barrell, Mr C West,
Mrs J Mairs, Mr W Lilburn, Miss J Beattie, Mr G Black,
Miss A Little, Mr W Bigley.
LISNAGARVEY High School celebrates its 50th
anniversary this year and a year long programme has been devised
to mark the special milestone.
From a school fete to a gala dinner, recently
appointed School Principal Jim Sheerin said he was anticipating
a great year of celebration in the life of the school.
Lisnagarvey County Secondary Intermediate
School was officially opened by Mr Albert Stevenson, Chairman of
Lisburn Rural Council, on September 11 1957. It was built at a
cost of �190,000, which in those days was considered an
extraordinary amount of money to spend on a school.
In its 50 year history it has been served by
only four school principals; Mr W. J. Morrison 1957-67, Dr
Samuel Semple 1967-82, Mr Norman McClelland 1982-2006 and Mr
Sheerin from 2006 to the present.
Lisnagarvey football team 1959-60.
Standing (left to right): Mr. W. J. Morrison
(Headmaster), K. McCabe, J. Smith, H. Birney, B.
Hull, C. Campbell. Sitting: N. McConnell, K. Farr,
R. Smyth, V. Grattan, G. Ward, R. Neill.
Vice Principal John Ferguson, Ken
Farr one of the original class 01 1957, Year 8 pupil
Christopher Davis formerly of Moira Primary School
(one of three generations of his family to attend
Lisnagarvey) and Headmaster Mr Jim Sheerin.
Thousands of pupils have passed through the
school gates and have gone on to play an extremely valuable role
in the life of the local community.
A major change occurred in 1997 when, for the
first time, girls were admitted to the school and now form
approximately 50% of the current enrolment.
Although essentially the school building
remains as it was originally in 1957, there have been constant
additions and modernisations. This year alone some �6,000 has
been spent in facilitating a state of the art 6th form learning
centre, while a further �20,000 was spent in the purchase of
individual laptops for all 6th Form students. �18,000 has also
been spent this year on a new purpose built fitness suite.
Looking to the future Mr Sheerin feels the
school is in excellent shape to meet the needs of pupils in the
"We have first rate facilities and an
excellent staff who work hard to ensure that pupils both enjoy
school and have the opportunity to achieve their maximum
potential," Mr Sheerin explained.
He added that he is confident that in the life
of the school, "The best is yet to be".
Lisnagarvey Prefects 1959-60.
Standing (left to right): E. Allen, S. McLorn, B.
Gibson, S. Taylor, A. McGaughey, W. Stewart, C.
McElroy, M. Kirkpatrick. Sitting: R. Graham, K.
McNeice, R. Irvine, Mr. W. J. Morrison (Headmaster),
J. Allen (Head Prefect), Mr. Wm. Thompson
(Vice-Principal), V. Grattan (Deputy Head Prefect),
K. Brown, J. Finn.