by JULIE ANN SPENCE
at the Ulster Hospital have been battling to save what is left
of a 10 year-old Dromore boy's hand after a weekend incident in
which a firework he was holding exploded, also injuring his
The boy's family have been left devastated by
the horrific accident, in which the boy lost four fingers on his
Surgeon Mister Brown, who performed five
hours of surgery in an effort to save the young boy's thumb,
said it was a "particularly horrific incident".
He went on: "The majority of his hand is now
useless. He has only his thumb left. This will effect his
hobbies, his job and everything to do with his hand function. It
was his dominant hand."
Dromore Councillor Carol Black, a friend of
the boy's family, said the youngster had further surgery on this
week to graft skin from his leg to treat his chest wound.
"I visited the family on Saturday night,"
said Councillor Black. "They are going through absolute
devastation at the moment. The pain and hurt they are
experiencing is appalling." Ms. Black said the boy faced months
of hospital treatment and would have to adapt to his injuries
when it came to so many activities other youngsters took for
There are conflicting reports as to the
nature of the fireworks involved in Saturday's accident, but
Councillor Black took the opportunity to condemn any individuals
selling illegal, homemade fireworks to local youngsters.
"It beggars belief there are adults selling
these things to children on the streets of Dromore" she said.
"Children don't see the danger; they don't understand it.
They're just happy-go-lucky kids excited about Hallowe'en. What
immaturity and lack of responsibility must any grown adult have
to sell any type of firework to any child?"