The Rector, the Rev Canon Ernest Harris and organist Robert Yarr pictured with parishioners at The Middle Church Ballinderry following morning worship in the nearby Ballinderry Parish Church last Sunday (13th September). The historic church was one of several open last weekend as part of the European Heritage Open Days 2009. (following bit in BLUE can be omitted) Also known as ‘Jeremy Taylor’s Church’, it was built in 1668 at the direction of the Bishop of Down, Connor and Dromore, Jeremy Taylor, who also financed its construction. It was built to replace the medieval church of the parish of Ballinderry, the ruins of which still exist two miles away at Portmore, close to Lough Beg. He chose this site for the new church because it was more convenient and accessible than the old church, being in the centre of the parish and on a country road. This is how the Middle Church got its name.
This year’s European Heritage Open Days took place last weekend (Saturday 12th and Sunday 13th September). Pictured above are two of the many historic buildings throughout the province open as part of this popular annual event.
|Volunteer guides John Denton (left) and Harry Hume (right) pictured with visitors from Lisburn, Crumlin, Ballymena, Carrickfergus and Dublin at The Balance House, near Glenavy, which was one of several historic buildings open last weekend as part of the European Heritage Open Days 2009.|