LISBURN boy Kyle Conway is recovering well in hospital after he finally had his six times cancelled brain surgery carried out in the Royal Victoria Hospital on Monday. 16-year-old Kyle, who has Costello Syndrome, was left with an anxious wait for his surgery when his operation for a section of his brain to be removed was repeatedly put back.
The operation required surgeons to remove part of Kyle's brain which had grown into his neck, causing him to choke when he ate.
His family, dad Patrick, mum Caroline and sisters Pauline and Tara were left distressed after he was constantly being sent home from hospital after being prepared for surgery.
They are now delighted that Kyle's five hour operation is behind him and he is expected to be home again by the middle of next week.
Kyle's dad Patrick said: "He is coming along nicely. He was in the operation for over five hours and was then moved to a high dependency unity for one night, but he is back on the main ward again."
Patrick and the family have spent anxious hours at the hospital this week, with Patrick sleeping by his son's bedside throughout the night following his move back to the ward. Patrick added: "I stayed with him and by the end of the night he was up asking for water and something to eat, which is great. The surgeons are happy with how the operation went and are hopeful they have cured the problem.
"He will be in hospital for a week to ten days; it is a relief to have it over." Patrick also paid a warm tribute to the staff in the Royal. "The nurses are second to none down there," he added.
The family also received support when the article highlighting Kyle's cancelled operation's was featured on the Ulster Star's website, www.lisburntoday.co.uk, last week. An Australian lady, whose son also has the very rare Costello Syndrome sent a message to the family on the site and wished Kyle well with his operation saying, "I do hope that Kyle was able to have his surgery and all is well."
Speaking about the message, Patrick said, "It was nice to get that support."