A reprint of the original book
By W. G. LYTTLE 1896
A Pugilistic encounter
Henry Joy McCracken
Map of Ballynahinch
Betsy Gray's memorial
Mr. James Mills
Betsy Gray's Pistol
The Irish Volunteers
McKee family house
Key of McKee's house
Mr. C. J. Robb
Battle of Saintfield
Grave of Dr. James Cord
MEMORIAL TO SOLDIERS
Mr. Wallace Mitchell with a pike
British Army bayonet
Mr. Thomas McMaster with sword
sword and a bayonet
Betsy Gray's cottage taken from an old Photograph
View of Betsy's Cottage
Hans Gray's pewter plates
This miniature of Betsy Gray, which is in the possession of Mr. C. J. Robb, Spa, was first published in the 1920's in a booklet "Out in '98". It was reproduced from a painting by a man called Newell of Downpatrick, who posed as a United Irishman prior to 1798, but who was, in fact, in the pay of the Government.
Are you able to hold up your child Matthew
"He planted the right ... under Dillon's left jaw."
He struck the first blow.
A view of Windhill Hill, taken from foot of Ednavady Hillon Dromore Road.
An Aerial view of the Major Sectors
A view of Ednavady Hill taken from the Dromore Road
The memorial which was erected on Betsy Gray's grave in a vale in the townland of Ballycreen, about two miles from Ballynahinch. The inscription on side shown in photograph reads - "Elizabeth Gray. George Gray, William Boal, 13th June, 1798".
A photograph of the opposite side of the memorial. This reads:
"Erected by James Gray, grandnephew of Elizabeth and George Gray, 1896".
Mr. James Mills, of Antrim Road, Ballynahinch, at the grave of Betsy
Gray. The letters ZABE are still legible on one of the slabs of granite which formed part of the memorial.
This photograph of the pistol believed to have been carried by Betsy Gray at the Battle of Ballynahinch was taken at the beginning of the 20th century by the late Mr. T. McNeilly, father of Miss McNeilly, Mourne View, Ballynahinch.
The axe reputed to have been used in the execution of Monro
(Photo by late T. McNeilly, Ballynahinch).
The Irish Volunteers being reviewed at Lisburn in 1782. Amongst the onlookers on the left is a man with his hand to his chin. He is Henry Monro, who became the insurgent leader at Ballynahinch.
The house at Carricknacessna, Saintfield in which the McKee family were burned to death by the Insurgents. Mr. Wallace Massey, the present owner, who uses the house as an out office, says the window in the gable is farther towards the back of the house than the original one through which McKee's daughter saw the Insurgents approach over Gill's Knowe.
The key of the original door to McKee's house, which is now in the possession of Mr. Robert McKee of Carricknaveigh, Saintfield.
Mr. C. J. Robb consulting one of his volumes of manuscripts.
The epaulette from uniform worn by James Robb at the Battle of Ballynahinch, and the jug from which he drank when wounded.
The scene at Saintfield near the Secondary School, where the skirmish known as the Battle of Saintfield took place.
UNIFORMS - A group of boys from Saintfield Intermediate School wearing Militia uniforms of the late 1700's, which belong to Col. M. C. Perceval-Price of Saintfield House. It is understood that these are the uniforms of the entire platoon which Mr. Nicholas Price was able to raise and they could well have been worn by members of the McKee family who were burned to death. The picture illustrates how the stature of modern man has increased in the past 170 years. The boys are (from left): Norman Leckey, David Carsar, Phillip Cherry, Brian Jordan and Roy Dickson
This headstone in Killinchy Parish Churchyard marks the grave of Dr. James Cord, who was hanged at Downpatrick, after courtmartial, on 23rd June, 1798, for his part in the Rebellion. He was aged 31 years.
MEMORIAL TO SOLDIERS This memorial in Comber Parish Church bears the following inscription
In memory of Captain WILLIAM CHETWYND Lieut. WILLIAM HAWE UNITE and ENSIGN JAMES SPARKS late of The York Fencible Infantry
Who fell bravely fighting for their King and Glorious Constitution in an Engagement near Saintfield with the Rebels On the 9th Day of June, 1798
Their Brother Officers impressed with the deepest sorrow and with the highest sense of their courage and manly virtues have erected This Monument
Mr. Wallace Mitchell, Lake View. Corbet, Banbridge, with a pike which is reputed to have been used in the Battle of Ballynahinch. The pike belonged to his mother and was handed down from a Joseph Richard Hooke, her great-grandfather, who lived on the same farm. Small spikes can be seen in the shaft which prevented the enemy from gripping it when attacked.
A standard British Army bayonet of the 1798 period which was found at Creevy's Rocks. It was probably taken by one of the insurgents at the Battle of Saintfield and left behind at Creevy- Rocks on the way to the Battle of Ballynahinch. It is in the possession of Mr. Cecil Cree, Ballycoan, Purdysburn, a teacher at Inst., who is a descendant on his mother's side of the Scotts of Ballykine.
Mr. Thomas McMaster, of Drumgavelin, with a sword which was found 20 years ago in the thatch of a house belonging to his father, the late Mr. Hamilton McMaster, at Glassdrummond, Ballynahinch. This house is occupied now by Mr, Thomas Duffield, and is only about half a mile from Betsy Gray's grave. There are different traditions concerning the house in which Betsy hid her sword; another house owned by the McMaster family is also believed to be associated with the relic.
Among the old weapons found in York Island, Saintfield, are a sword and a bayonet, which were discovered about 10 years ago by Mr. Billy Grant. His mother, who lives in The Square, Saintfield, is seen holding the relics.
This picture, taken from an old postcard, shows the late Mr. George Macartney with his dog at the door of Betsy Gray's cottage, which stands about 300 yards off the main road, near the Six Road Ends. George and his brother William resided in the cottage, which was sold after their decease, and was purchased (about 1920) by the Warden brothers who now use it as a barn. The postcard is in the possession of Miss Jane Fletcher, who resides a short distance on the Newtownards side of the Six Road Ends. She is a niece of the Macartney brothers and great-granddaughter of Betsy's cousin.
This is a view of Betsy's Cottage as it is to-day. Corrugated iron covers the original thatch, and the building is used as an out office. The original rafters in the roof of the kitchen and the "glaik" or "glaiks" (a wooden contrivance for working the plunger of the churn) are still to be seen. Among the bushes opposite the front of the house is the old well in which pikes were hidden prior to the Rising, and where treasured possessions were concealed when Betsy followed her brother George and her lover Willie Boal to Ballynahinch.
A recent picture of the Gray's Cottage at Garvaghy.
Hans Gray's pewter plates, sugar tongs and signed Oath of Allegiance, also set of Georgian silver spoons, Georgian glass, guinea box and pistol, which are heirlooms of Miss Betsy Gray Macartney.