Christ Church Derriaghy

A Short History of the Parish

W. N. C. BARR,
Derriaghy Rectory.
20th September, 1974






(Copies of those marked with an asterisk are in the Public Record Office
of Northern Ireland.)
1. *Vestry Minute Book 1700-1759
*Baptisms 1696-1754
*Marriages 1696-1746
*Burials 1696-1738
2. *Baptisms 1771-1806
Marriages 1772-
*Burials 1772-1773
3. *Burials (giving causes of death ) 1837-1857
4. *Baptisms 1827-1835
*Marriages 1827-1838
*Burials 1827-1834
5. *Baptisms 1836-1876






7. Baptisms 1932-1963
8. Baptisms 1963-present
9. Marriages 1818-1827
10. Marriages (18 Books) 1938-present
11. *Burials 1836-1872
12. Burials 1873-1882
13. Burials 1882-1913
14. Burials 1913-1957
15. Burials 1957-present
16. Preachers' Books 7 volumes - Christ Church 1859-1974
17. Preachers' Books 4 volumes - St. Mark's, Ballymacash 1892-1966
18. Preachers' Books 2 volumes -St. Andrew's Colin 1957-1974
19. Preachers' Books - Stoneyford 1834-1858
20. Preachers' Books - Stoneyford 1841-1862
Baptisms - Stoneyford 1845-1862
21. Baptims - Stoneyford 1875-1925
22. Preachers' Book - Stoneyford 1863-1887
Baptisms - Stoneyford 1863-1887
23. Vestry Minute Books 1794-1871


Vestry Minute Books


25. Vestry Minute Books 1911-1941
26. *Vestry Minute Books - 5 volumes 1941-present
27. List of Registered Vestry men from 1870
28. Miss Annie Helena Fletcher's Bequest Donations 1839-1920
29. Derriaghy Parochial Young Men's Christian
Society's Library Catalogue and an address to members 1865
30. Pamphlet - Answer to Plowden's charges against the Rev. Philip Johnson and the Orangemen 1814
31. Copy of entries in an old Bible at Ballymacash on the Johnson family 1690-1835
32. Items of School Correspondence.
33. List of landholders and amounts of applotments of Parochial Rates to be levied in 1844-1845
34. Unbound scraps: old receipts and accounts of work done mostly about 1771
35. Unbound day books of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials.
Baptisms *1810-1812
Baptisms 1812-1818
Baptisms *1821-1826
      Baptisms M & B *1823-1825
      Baptisms *1859-1875
  Burials (Causes of Death given).   *1854-1864
  Burials (Causes of Death given).   1924-1927
  Burials (Causes of Death given).   *1864-1875
  Burials (Causes of Death given).   *1875-1891
  Burials (Causes of Death given). (Plot No. given) * 1892-1907
  Burials (Causes of Death given). (Plot No. given) 1907-1927
36. Legal Documents � Wills, Agreements, etc.



(an asterisk means that the interpretation is only tentative)

Aghalislone � field of Luan's fort
Ballycollin � Collins* townland
Derriaghy� oakwood of the field
Killeaton � Eaton's church or wood; perhaps 0 hEitag�in
Kilmakee � the church of the son of Hugh
Lagmore � big hollow
Mullaghglass � height of the stream
Magheralave � mountain plain
Poleglass � green pool.
Aghnahough � field of the lime-kiln*
Ballymacoss � McCash's townland
Clogher � causeway
Whitemountain � in earlier times called Carestoy or Carrastoye i.e. hill-quarter*
Tornaroy � the hill of the fort** Slievenagravery� mountain of the woodcocks
Slievenacloy � mountain of the stone Tornagrough � pointed hill of the stacks
Ballymacward � McWard's townland Island Kelly � Kelly's island
Bovolcan � Bolcan's church or hut
Drumankelly� Kelly's hill-ridge


Miss Fletcher bequeathed "�500 to be placed out on Government or other security, and the interest thereof to be divided by the person who shall be the Protestant Clergyman of said Parish for the time being, amongst the indigent housekeepers in said parish on each Christmas Day."

After recording this extract from Miss Fletcher's will in vestry minutes of 1838 nothing further is recorded until 1865 when a letter was read from Mr. John Richardson, Lambeg, son of Mr. Jonathan Richardson, the executor of Miss Fletcher's Will, stating that there were "difficulties in handing over the money to the Rector or Vicar and Churchwardens for the time being of the Parish".

It was not until 1868 that the parish succeeded in obtaining the money from Mr. Jonathan Richardson. The Vicar General of the Diocese and the Commissioners for Charitable Bequests were consulted by the vestry and the Vicar, at his own expense, took legal advice in attempts to get
the money.

Mr. Richardson had lent the money, 'which was wholly improper', to someone whom he would not name. He took no notice of letters either from the vestry or the Commissioners. The Vicar's counsel said he was guilty of a plain breach of Trust and should be proceeded against in the Court of Chancery. The Commissioners advised that a mortgage be obtained in some part of his landed property.

Much of the correspondence, which was considerable, was with Mr. John Richardson, as his father appears to have spent much of the time
in Italy.

The Miss Annie Fletcher bequest was finally secured for the parish in 1868 when the Vicar reported to the April vestry meeting that "Mr. Richardson had paid off the �500 legacy". The interest continues to be paid, each year, to the Rector. Part is given to Stoneyford parish which, in 1868, was in Derriaghy.

It was soon after the completion of the new Church in 1872 that Mr. Richardson asked to be given permission to erect a memorial to Miss Fletcher. Several designs were submitted and rejected. Finally, the rector, on a visit to London, saw the four panels for sale. A suitable design was agreed to by the vestry and Mr. Richardson, the completed memorial costing slightly over �30.



475. Niall m Corbmaic m Neill m Briain m Neill gallda m Briain ballaigh
476. Tuathal et Conn, clann Felim m Ebir m Guinn m Eogain m Aedha buidhe m Briain ballaigh
477. Tuathal m Ebir m Eoghain m Tuathail m Toirrdelbaighh gallda m Enri caoich m Briain ballaigh
(from the 0 Clery Book of Genealogies in Analecta Hibernica No. 18 Dublin 1951)

It would appear that 0 Clery distinguished three main branches of Muintir na Coille Ultaighe, all descended from Brian Ballagh, who lived in the early fifteenth century. J. Hogan however in his paper "The Irish Law of Kingship" P.R.I.A.xl (1932) seems to confine the title of Muintir na Coille Ultaighe to the line of descent given in 475 above; he also extends the line of Niall gallda beyond the point at which 0 Clery stopped thus: Feidhlimidh Dubh-Cormac -Niall-Cormac-Niall - Brian - Niall Gallda.



An oblong edifice of one storey slated 60ft. long in the clear, 23ft. 3ins. wide in east end and 22ft. 3ins. in the west end. Walls are of stone and lime.
The side walls are not perpendicular�they vary in thickness and are spreading either from age or bad architecture�they average 3ft. 1 in. in thickness.

On the east gable a large Arch window�on the west gable 2 small circular windows and on each side wall 2 windows approaching to a half arch. Entrance door opens from the tower attached to the west end of the church. Alley and area round the Communion Table is laid with cut freestone and pews are boarded. There are neat galleries along the north side and on the west end of the church; they are supported on timber columns.

The pulpit stands about the middle of the church against the south side wall and elevated some feet above the floor. The Communion Table is one of the old-fashioned oak tables and stands under the large window in the east end, and on the north side of it is a baptismal font of cut freestone. Pulpit and all other furniture well constructed and neat.

The pews on the ground floor number 27. Each pew has an average of 18 -ft. of seats and will accommodate each 12 persons. Total 324.

There are 14 pews on the galleries�nine of these average 10�ft. of seats each and will hold 7 persons�total 63. Five pews average 18 -ft. of seats and will hold 12 persons each pew.

Total persons accommodated with seats on the ground floor and galleries: 447, allowing 1-ft. to each sitting.

The vestry is attached to the south side of the church, slated and one storey and measures 10ft. by 10ft. Sins. in the clear and lit by 2 windows. There is a square tower 4 stories high standing to the west gable of the church. It is of stone and lime, corners of cut freestone and windows are cased with the same stone. It measures 13ft. Tins. by 10ft. 8ins. outside. It has 3 arch windows in front, 2 on each side and 1 in rere and on the fourth storey a bell of moderate size on the surface of which is date as follows: Derryaghy 1725. (Note by Canon H. W. Lett in U.J.A. 1905: this bell was consigned to the bell founder's scrap within my own recollection.)

The tower is taped with a timber cupola over which stands a lofty stalk and weather cock. The cock is said to be brass, date 1711 cut in it (the weather cock is still preserved in Christ Church). The cupola is of pyramid shape. The height of the tower, cupola and cock seems to be about 75ft. above the surface, 55ft. of which is stone work and cupola, stalk and cock the other 20ft.

The original tower is said to have stood only two stories high and to have been built about 70 years back (i.e. about 1767). It was raised two stories at some subsequent period. The original cupola was small and soon decayed; the present one was put on 18 years ago at expense of 17 guineas. It is locally said the church was covered with shingles up to about 1750 and then slated for the first time, and secondly in 1813, the walls raised and entire roof put on in the new. It is said that the old church was at least 10ft. longer than the present. However a portion of the old side wall comes out 1ft. farther than the west gable which at once denotes that the original length of the church exceeded its present length. A large portion of the old walls are said to remain in the present work.

Inside the church stands a handsome marble monument to the memory of the late Rev. Philip Johnston died 1833 aged 85 years, 61 years vicar of the parish. Another monument in marble slate commemmorates Rev. Edward Higginson, formerly vicar of Ballinderry, and Margaret his wife. Their ages and date of death are not mentioned. A third monument of cut stone is inscribed: Here lieth the body of Thomas Simpson who was born at Fluckeborough in Lancashire. He departed this life the 4th March 1708. He left for the use of the poor of this Parish and the Parish of Magheragall ten pounds each and forgave his poor debtors above 200 pounds sterling with several other charitable actions.

Mr. Simpson was a private gentleman that came to reside with some friends in the above parish where he died.

The churchyard is enclosed partly by a stone and lime wall and partly by a clay and stone fence. Entrance by a good iron gate. Surnames on tombstones are (i.e. in 1837): Graham � Seeds � Gordon � Gayer � Smyth � Tuten � Higginson � Fletcher � Rosbotham � Alexander � Archbold � Carmichael � Carr � McCormick � Crone � Christian � Clark � Crosby � Corken � Curry � Alderdice � McAllister � McCloy � Dawson � Cahoon � Dunlop � Duncan � McBride � Eager � Williamson � Hull � Woods � Phillips � Hutchinson � Thompson � Simpson � McMurray � Warring � Brown � McKinty � Willes � Lewson � Lunn � Travers � Boomer � Norres � Fair � Heyland � Hendron � Mordoach � Mussen � Marchall � Richardson � Richie � Lawvarty � Lafferty � Grainger � Waring � McMaster � Maze � Maginnis.

Oldest stone 1705: Oldest age 104.



The Vestry Court minute of October 4th 1743 quoted in the text is a typical example of the October Vestry Court minutes from 1729 to 1758 about road upkeep. It records the list of roads to be repaired in the following year, names the overall Director of the operation and states his salary, gives the names of the parishioners responsible as surveyors (or overseers) for particular stretches of road and details which parishioners are to assist the surveyors by supplying labour and materials.

The duty of maintaining public roads had been laid upon the parishes in the reign of James I (E. Bullingbrooke Collection of Eccesiastical Law in Ireland Dublin 1766 p.309), but the Derriaghy Vestry Court minutes, which begin in 1709, make no reference to roads until the October Vestry Court of 1729. This is surprising since during the 17th century, when Derriaghy was united with Blaris (Lisburn), the Blaris Vestry Courts appointed surveyors for Derriaghy, as the Blaris minutes show. Perhaps the Vestry Court of the parish of Derriaghy at first neglected its responsibility for roads when the parish regained its independence, or was not aware of it. The year 1729 is significant in that it is the first year since 1709 in which an October Vestry was held in Derriaghy; this may well be connected with the enactment made in the first year of George II (1727) that each parish should hold a Vestry on the Tuesday or Wednesday after Michaelmas day to appoint overseers of the roads (Bullingbrooke op. cit. p.369). Because the Vestry Court minutes from 1760 to 1793 inclusive are missing we do not know how long the Vestry Court continued to maintain the parish roads; it had ceased to do so by 1794, since the minute book beginning in that year contains no reference to the upkeep of roads.

The minute quoted in the text lists four roads, viz.
from Stoneyford to Lisburn.
from Castle Robin to Lambeg,
from ye fishpond at Mr. Gayer's to widw Pogue's,
from John Glister's to Archibald Johnson's.

This well illustrates the method used to delineate the particular stretches of road to be repaired by giving the terminal points. These might be place names, artificial features or the premises of named individuals; and it should be possible�it would certainly be of considerable historical interest�to map the roads of the parish by a careful study of the terminal points. But the list of roads which follows, extracted from the minutes, shows how difficult it would be to do more than indicate the general direction of the roads. It will be noted that from 1729 to 1741 the minutes do not specify stretches of road with terminal points, but refer merely to road maintenance in the three constablewicks.

Roads list (please click)

It will be seen from the foregoing list that an accurate identification of the terminal points is necessary before the location and direction of the various stretches of road can be satisfactorily determined. In the list certain roads have been bracketed together because it is thought that they are the one road with alternative names for the terminals, but certainty is rarely possible. Some suggested identifications are now offered; numbers refer to the numbers in the list.

  1. The fishpond's site is still visible at the foot of Mr. Wesley Wither's field at Osier Cross, while the Pogues and Edgars had land in Pole-glass. This road therefore corresponds to the modern Stewartstown Road in its general direction .
  2. Johnston's Bridge, called after the Johnstons who preceded the Charleys at Seymour Hill, is the present Swann's Bridge over the Derriaghy River at Seymour Hill; and the ,McCulloghs also had land at that point. The Glisters had land in both Lambeg and Blaris parishes. The Moss may well be what is called the Great Moss on the 1726 Hertford Estate map; it is now occupied by the Killeaton Estate. Milltown is almost certainly the same as the present Milltown, while both the Belsize Estate and the Turnpike were situated at the upper end of Harmony Hill. Road 2 therefore lay approximately along the line of the modern Belfast-Lisburn road, 2a being the whole stretch from Harmony Hill to Seymour Hill, 2b and 2c being respectively the eastern and western portions. It would seem that the road detoured through Lambeg and along the present Mosside Road. Fishpond, Milltown, Moss end, Moss side all seem, used loosely, to mean some central point near the parish church.
  3. These well known terminals suggest that Road 3 was the precursor of our Barnfield Road.
  4. Owen 0 Hamill had land in Aghalislone and it is assumed, perhaps rashly, that the Cuthill was the Lisburn end of the Stoneyford-Lisburn road. Road 4 thus corresponded roughly to the modern Stoneyford-Lisburn road, passing Castle Robin.
  5. There is no sign on 18th century maps of a direct road from Castle Robin to Lambeg. On the other hand a road from Castle Robin to and past Derriaghy Parish Church is clearly marked on the 1726 estate map, yet it is mentioned only once�and then indirectly as the road from Castle Robin to the fishpond�in the minute of October 4th 1743. It seems likely therefore that Road 4 ran from Castle Robin to Lambeg via Milltown.
  6. The direction of this road is clear, though it did not follow precisely the line of the modern Glen Road.
  7. -11. Little of value can be said about these stretches of road except that the four lengths of road numbered 10 were probably subsections of one or other of the roads specified in a minute of October 2nd 1754, while roads 7, 8 and 9 were almost certainly alternative names for some of the roads numbered 1 to 6. It might be very tentatively suggested after a comparison of the road programmes for 1754 and 1757 that Castle Robin to Thos. Evins' might be the Castle Robin Lambeg road; and that the Priests' Highway and the Drumlin road represented Castle Robin to Collin Well, Milltown to Flowbog or Milltown to Johnston's Bridge. Road 11 may have been identical with the road from Lisburn to Castle Robin.

It is remarkable that the minutes contain no mention of roads in the Ballymacward area, though in his history of Stoneyford Parish (1936) the Rev. J. J. McCorry refers to an old horse road from Dublin to Carrickfergus running across White Mountain and Aughrim: such a track is still visible on Aughrim.



No documents have come to tight which would enable us to construct a definite tally of the Gaelic householders or occupiers of land in south east Antrim before the arrival of settlers from Britain at the beginning of the seventeenth century. There are however three documents which name some of the Gaelic families of Killultagh in the seventeenth century, although their lists of names differ in length and composition. Their relevance for a large part of the parish or Derriaghy should perhaps be regarded as somewhat doubtful, since the eastern townlands of the parish, including the parish church, were, according to the Inquisition of Antrim (1605), in the "Cinament of Dirrevologie or Felogh". This Inquisition, however, is the earliest known document to refer to a territory of Derryvolgie, to use the modern name, unless we regard the expression "in Naito" in Innocent III's letter of 1204 as an attempt to represent the alternative form of Derryvolgie i.e. Felogh of the 1605 Inquisition (for a discussion of the Irish forms behind Derryvolgie and Felogh see Bulletin of the Ulster Place-Name Society vol. iv part 2 p.44, Tuath-Divisions in the Baronies of Belfast and Massereene by D Morton).

We therefore know nothing about Derryvolgie in the Gaelic system�whether, for instance, it had some separate form of administration which made it an entity distinct from Killultagh, and other parts of Clannaboy; nor do we know whether the composers of the documents from which we shall be quoting were using the name "Killultagh" to mean a precisely delimited area, or whether perhaps they used it loosely to describe south east Antrim in general. We mention the distinction made by the Inquisition between Derryvolgie and Killultagh merely as a caveat against assuming without question that the names of the Killultagh families in the lists which follow included Derriaghy names, though several of them, as will be seen, resemble names found in later Derriaghy documents,

    Money as Hearth money Rolls

  1. In the Calendar of State Papers (Ireland) 1647-1660 p. 337 an undated and anonymous paper written some time towards the end of the reign of Chas. I and entitled "A note of all the True Natives of Kilulta" places the people of Killultagh into three categories

  1. Those who, except that they paid a token of rent, had the freedom of Killultagh, the Magillmuryes, the MacRories, the Hamels, the McTrealawnies, the Heaghians, the Greemes, the Hillins, the Magveahs, the Macavagans

  2. Those that were true inhabitants and undertenants in the country aforesaid:�The Magillreawies, McShanes, Lawries, O'Mulhalons. McQuaids, McRobins and others.
  3. Those that are but strangers of other countries dwelling in this country of Irish:�The ,McCaines, Magrues, Magowrans, McStranogs, Makeaghrakes, O'Doones, Makeaghulies, O'Deemans, O'Quins, McGeeans, O'Mildownes, O'Kanes, Tallons, Gribins and O'Mullcrewy with their strange followers, the O'Closes, O'Lorkans, O'Forfyes, O'Connorys, O'Conweeles, O'Monans, Magheralls, McRories, O'Mulveanies O'Prontyes, Marlies, MacVoloonyes (?), McDonnells, Hinneries, McQooicks, Maghagans.
  1. 2. G. Hill, Montgomery Manuscripts p.35 n.13, quotes a list of the principal families subject to the O'Neills of Killultagh from an Inquisition, the printed copy of which does not contain the list (Inquisition at Ardwhin (Ardquin) July 4, 1605) viz. Slut Neale M'Cormock, the Hamells of Edergaowen, the Clan Rowries, the Slut Roches, Slut Brian M'Shane Oge and others. (Slut for Irish Sliochtlineage).

  2. 3. J. O'Laverty, An Historical Account of the Diocese of Down and Connor, vol. ii p.318 (note) writes: A great number of the old Irish seem to have settled down after the 1641 war about Kilultagh and the adjoining districts. A petition testifying to the services rendered to the Catholics by the Franciscans, which was drawn up in 1663, and presented afterwards to the Irish Bishops, is signed by Arthur O'Neill, Dynasta Tollaghmore (aged 80); Bernardus O'Neill, ejusdem consobrinus (aged 60); Henricus O'Neill, nepos Domini de Claneboy (aged 70); Phelim O'Neill, in superioribus annis Dynasta de Kilultagh. Then follow the following names of persons, each of whom writes himself Generosus de Kilultagh:�Donald O'Neill (aged 56); Hugh O'Neill (aged 70); Denis M'Grovy i.e. M'Areavey (aged 70); Malachy M'Rory (aged 80); James O'Mulchallin i.e. O'Mulholland (aged 80); Bernard O'Heveran (aged 84).

In a note to his transcript of the Inquisition of Antrim 1605 Reeves observes "A family named McAreavy have from time immemorial inhabited the townland of Tornaroy".


(Centenary Year 1972)

S. Hutchinson, Killeaton Park, Rector's Church Warden
R. Boomer, Marnabrae House, People's Church Warden
J. Morrow, Derriaghy Road,  Rector's Glebe Warden
E. W. McManus, Fairview Park, People's Glebe Warden

T. J. Kelly, Carrisbrook Gardens,

Hon. Secretary
N. Gillespie, Moss Road. Hon. Treasurer
W. Richardson, Colin  

T. J. Fenning, Belsize Road


T. H. Lloyd, Greenburn Park


T. McCutcheon Killeaton Park (on his leaving the parish A. J. Boyd, Killeaton Gardens, became a member and treasurer)

S. Graham, Killeaton Park

R. Clague, Ventnor Park

N. Smyth, Aberdelgy Park

Thompson, Mullaghglass
T. Cairns, Mosside Road
Glass, Killeaton Crescent



C. McGowan, Killeaton Gardens, Rector's Church Warden
R. Boomer, Marnabrae House, People's Church Warden
Hilland, Milltown Avenue, Rector's Glebe Warden
J. Morrow, Derriaghy Road, People's Glebe Warden
T. J. Kelly (Hon. Secretary), A. J. Boyd (Hon. Treasurer)

S. Graham, T. H. Lloyd, E. T. Cairns, W. McCall (Milltown Road), D. Thompson, T. J. Fenning, S. Hutchinson, A. Glass, N. Smyth, E. W. McManus.

Diocesan Synodsmen
E. T. Cairns, T. J. Fenning, T. H. Lloyd, T. J. Kelly.

Richardson, S. Graham, R. Boomer, E. W. McManus.

Parochial Nominators
T. J. Fenning, A. Glass, E. T. Cairns, T. H. Lloyd.

E. W. McManus, S. Graham, T. J. Kelly, N. Smyth.

Hon. Auditor
N. Smyth

Freewill Offering Recorders

Christ Church
A. Glass, E. T. Cairns, S. Cohen.
St. Andrew's
W. Richardson, D. Thompson.
Christ Church Sexton
W. Burrows, Milltown Avenue.

Sunday School Teachers

Christ Church
W. Scully (Superintendent), R. Surgeon, S. Stewart, Mrs. Scully, D. Gribbon, Mrs. Lloyd, Miss M. Benson, Miss E. Richardson, Miss A. Burrows, Miss K. Stewart, Miss R. Kelly, Miss K. Hayes, Mrs. Scarlett.

St. Andrews
Thompson (Superintendent), A. Johnston, Miss N. Thompson, Miss C. Thompson, Mrs. N. Boston, Miss S. Gordon, J. Campbell.


Mr. C. McGowan, Rector's Church Warden
Mr. W. J. Dawson, People's Church Warden
Mr. B. Hilland, Rector's Glebe Warden
Mr. J. Morrow.  People's Glebe Warden
Messrs. S. Graham (Hon. Sec.), A. J. Boyd (Hon. Treas.),
T. Cairns, R. Boomer, A. Glass, T. J. Fenning, G. Fell, T. H. Lloyd, E. W. McManus, W. McCall, N. Smyth, D. Thompson.

Other appointments made in 1974

Mr. N. McCaughey, sexton of St. Andrews on the resignation of Mr. W. Richardson.

Messrs. D. Andrews, S. Ellison and N. Whyte, deputy Churchwardens at Christ Church.


Page 15

The people of the parish:�To the names mentioned in the Hearth Money Rolls of 1669 and still in the parish a century later (indeed to this day) should be added 0 Drean.

Page 38 .

Poleglass Corn MiII:�Luke Teeling's house and bleach green are however shown beside the Osier Cross on Lendrick's map of Co. Antrim (1780)

Page 40

Derriaghy Flax Milk:�Samuel Dunlop was minister of Hillhall Presbyterian Church from 1825 until his death in 1865.

Page 43

Magheralave House:�The association of Jeremy Taylor with a house in Magheralave is based on local tradition and not on contemporary documentation. Bishop William Smyth's association with Magheralave at present rests only on Fagan's statement. An examination of the earliest timber in Beech House has shown that it was cut from its tree about 1630 (A Dendrochronological Study in Ireland, M. G. L. Baillie, May, 1973. M.A. Thesis in Q.U.B. Library).

Page 71

Lines 2/3 should read:�Parts of Aghalislone, Magheralave and Whitemountain.

Page 81

In 1830 a school and Teacher's residence:�It has not yet been possible to establish what connection there was between this school and the schools already mentioned at Milltown (p.78) and the Church (p.79). The list of ten schools mentioned on p.80 is not helpful because it does not give the location of the schools.

If Fagan is correct in saying that carriages left Bishop William Smyth's house for Derriaghy Church each Sunday, this would add weight to the possibility suggested earlier that Derriaghy Church was restored before 1700; Bishop Smyth died in 1699.

Derriaghy Parish 1974