PARISH OF KILBRONEY
by Dean Anthony Davies
Kilbroney � Church of Bronagh.
St. Bronagh was a virgin of Glen Seich desertum. She
set up a religious settlement in the 6th. century near Rostrevor where
the ruins of an ancient church called after her are in the old graveyard
of Kilbroney. Her convent was erected to help sailors cast up on the
beach by a cruel sea. She is referred to in O'Cleary's Calendar of Irish
Saints. Her feast day is 2nd April. The parish of Kilbroney includes two
villages, Rostrevor and Killowen. Rev. Bernard J. Mooney B.D. gives many
derivations on the name Rostrevor.
- Rose Trevor,
- Caislean Trever -- Trever's Castle,
- Caislean Ruaidh � Rory's Castle,
- Carraig abrachta � Rock of malting form,
- Carraig bracha � Malt Rock
- Carraig brachain � Rock of fermented matter.
Rostrevor is a beautiful village described by W.
Haughton Crowe in his book Village in the Seven Hills as "nestling amid
its mountain, stream, sea-lough and valley". This idyllic location, with
its mountain air and sea breezes, has earned for Rostrevor a reputation
for health and well-being attracting, in the past, many visitors to the
village. With its old world charm and magnificent scenery, Rostrevor is
still a very popular resort for sailing, hill walking and other outdoor
pursuits. It is a very popular venue for all types of music, especially
traditional Irish. The annual `Fiddlers' Green Festival' attracts large
numbers from home and mainland Europe every July.
Located at 900 feet above sea-level on the ridge of
the mountain above Rostrevor Village is the giant 30 ton boulder known
as the `Cloughmore Stone'. This is a spectacular remnant of the Ice Age
or `glacial erratic'. Local folklore maintains that Finn MacCool, the
legendary giant, threw the great stone at an enemy across Carlingford
Lough from the Cooley Mountains.
Kilbroney Parish has 19 townlands. It borders four
parishes in Dromore Diocese, namely: St. Peter's Clonallon, St. Mary's
Clonallon, St. Patrick's Clonallon, and Clonduff, and one in the diocese
of Down and Connor: Upper Mourne.
Rostrevor is 2'/2 miles from Warrenpoint, 9 miles
from Rathfriland, 9'/2 miles from Kilkeel. Its Catholic population is
estimated to be around 4,500.
The ancient Cross of Bronagh is
situated in the old Kilbroney Cemetery. The ruins of a
pre-Reformation church can also be seen within this
It falls wholly within the county of Down and the local
government district of Newry & Mourne. Killowen is the other little
village. It is located by an inlet famous for sailing. This area has two
great men from the past: `The Giant Murphy' who was eight feet and one
inch in height and Lord Charles Russell of Seafield, Killowen, who rose
to become Lord Chief Justice of England.
St. Bronagh's Bell or Clog Bun
This bell, concealed in the ivy-covered fork of a
tree was discovered when the tree fell in 1855. Conclusions about the
bell from recent research suggest that it was one of about thirty bronze
bells of similar type in Ireland, mostly found in Ulster. The bell is
bigger than average and resembles most closely a group of three bells
from Bangor, Co. Westmeath, and Cashel. These are decorated with finely
engraved crosses and geometric patterns which suggests a date of circa
A.D.825. St. Bronagh's Bell, although lacking this decoration, is
probably contemporary with them.
The handle of this bell is very important and is unique for three
- It is of bronze cast on an iron core rather than on solid
- It is secured by insertion through the crown of the
bell rather than by being cast in one piece with the bell.
- The terminals, i.e. the portions of the handle in contact with
the crown or top of the bell, are of a highly unusual shape.
All other handles have simple terminals and are of
solid bronze cast in one piece with the bell. The handle of the bell is
a replacement of an original handle of simple form. The date of the
present handle is circa A.D.1100. If this explanation is correct, the
handle is a piece of 12th. century ecclesiastical metal work.
St. Bronagh's Baculus or Staff
`The custodian of the Staff of St. Bronagh,' was a
title historically given to the incumbent of Kilbroney Parish. It has,
however, long since disappeared from use.
St. Bronagh's Cross
This cross, located in Kilbroney Cemetery, dates back
to the 5th. century. It is thought to indicate the grave where her body
rests. Nearby is a large rough granite cross of unknown origin. The
ivy-mantled ruins of an early pre-Reformation church still remain.
A modern shrine to St. Bronagh was erected by Very
Rev. Canon McGinn, P.P. in 1937. The water in the well nearby, contains
carbonates and iron. Miraculous cures have been attributed to it. It is
said to restore sight to the blind and beauty to the unbeautiful.
CHURCH OF ST. MARY'S STAR OF THE SEA,
St. Mary's Star of the Sea Church is a
finely spired revival gothic church dominating the
village of Rostrevor from its position at the top of the
hill overlooking Carlingford Lough and Slieve Foy.
The foundation stone of this church was laid by Rev.
Bernard Mooney, P.P. on Easter Sunday, 24th. April 1848. The church was
dedicated by the Most Rev. Dr. Cantwell, Bishop of Meath, on 15th.
October 1854. Most Rev. Dr. Blake presided at the sacred function. The
sermon was preached by the Most Rev. Dr. Leahy, O.P., co-adjutor bishop
to Dr. Blake. St. Mary's replaced a small Mass House erected by Rev. M.
McAlinden, P.P., in the mid-1770s.
According to tradition, the site for the church was
obtained from the Ross Estate through the good offices of John O'Neill
of Bannvale House, Hilltown. The spire was completed and the cross
erected on 19th. October, 1859. The bell in the tower was solemnly
blessed by Dr. Leahy on 21st. October, 1860. Rev. G. Maguire preached
the sermon. The bell was cast by John Murphy of Thomas Street, Dublin;
its weight about 15 cwt.
The Baptismal Font was blessed by Rev. B. Mooney on
6th. January, 1861.
The church was repaired by Very Rev. Mgr. O'Reilly,
P.P., in 1922, and the Stations of the Cross, erected on 28th. November,
1925. Re-decoration took place in 1932, and the church was solemnly,
consecrated by the Most Rev. Dr. Mulhern on 11th. August in that year.
In 1936, new confessionals were made by Felix O'Hare,
Warrenpoint, while the originals were sent to Killowen Church.
In April, 1982, after the Church had been
sandblasted, a new Cross, made by Liam Baxter of Rostrevor, was erected.
In 1990, in accordance with liturgical changes the
sanctuary was extended and updated. A new lectern and new confessional
boxes were installed. St. Bronagh's Bell was fitted in a glass case. On
the 8th. December of that year, a new altar was dedicated by
Dr. F.G. Brooks, Bishop of Dromore. The preacher was
Dr. John McAreavey, Maynooth, our present bishop.
In 1994-95, four new windows, representing St.
Colman, St. Brigid, St. Oliver Plunkett and Blessed Margaret Ball, Irish
Martyr, were added to the existing windows to the rear of the sanctuary.
In 1999, a new tabernacle was installed and, in 2003,
further renovations, including the laying of a new floor, painting,
interior and exterior plastering were undertaken. The car park was also
upgraded, as were external railings.
The Church of the Sacred Heart was
begun, at Killowen, in 1870. It was dedicated by the
famous Cardinal Paul Cullen in August 1872.
A map of Ulster in 1609 indicates a church in this
district near the Cassy water. This is likely the old church that gives
its name to the townland of Cill Fhelchin (Kilfeaghan) - `Fechin's
Church'. Though there is no trace of it, the old people called it "Seanchill"
(Shankill) - `Old Church'.
Lewis, writing in 1836, tells us that there were some
remains of the old church of Killowen in his time and he puts them on a
par with the ruins of the former parish church in Kilbroney. These
remains must have occupied the old site in Kilfeaghan for we have no
reason to believe that there was any other church before the year 1779
when the new one was built in Ballyedmond on the site now occupied by
Although five Irish saints were so named, it is
probably St. Fechin of Fobhar (Fore) who is celebrated or commemorated
here. He was the most famous of them all. His name is also found in
The first post-Reformation church in Killowen
district was erected in 1779 at the cost of �220. This latter building
was the scene of the celebrated `Yelverton Marriage' on 15th. August
1857. It is now used as a school.
Church of the Sacred Heart, Killowen (Cill Eoghain -
The foundation stone was laid by Very Rev. John
McLeigh P.P. V.G. Clonduff on 8th. April 1870. Rev. Pat O'Neill, P.P.
was responsible for its erection. The dedication ceremony was performed
by His Eminence Cardinal Cullen, Archbishop of Dublin, on 11th. August
Those present included the Most Rev. Dr. Conaty,
Bishop of Kilmore, the Bishop of Maitland, Australia and Thomas O'Hagan,
Lord Chancellor of Ireland, Most Rev. Dr. Leahy O.P. was the preacher.
The bell was blessed on 28th. October 1877. The church was redecorated
by Mgr. O'Reilly, new flooring and seats were installed for the
centenary celebrations on 21st. November 1971.
Killowen Church was re-opened and re-dedicated on
Sunday 24th. September 1995 by Dr. Brooks. The following repairs had
been carried out: the sanctuary was completely re-designed and a new
altar installed; the windows were replaced and designed by Jack
Calderwood; an extended mahogany inside-porch was built at the front
entrance. The sacristies were refurbished, new Stations of the Cross
were erected, the floors were newly carpeted, the roof renovated and the
On August 20th. 1864 Rev. Bernard Mooney P.P. called
to arrange a Branch House of the Mercy Sisters in Rostrevor but he died
very suddenly in November and it was left to his successor, Fr. O'Neill,
to put it into effect.
On 9th. June 1865, the foundation took place when
Mother M. Aquin Russell, Sr. M. Teresa, Sr. M. Evangelist and Sr. Zita
became the founding members, with Sr. Aquin as Superior. Fr. O'Neill
gave up the parochial house to the Sisters until a convent could be
built. One room was fitted up as a choir. The school room was a
converted cow-house. It was impossible to buy land, so the old
school-house was pulled down and a new convent and school erected with
Mr. Barr as architect.
On Monday 3rd. May, 1965, Bishop O'Doherty presided
at a Mass on the occasion of the centenary of the Mercy Sisters coming
to Rostrevor. Very Rev. James P. Canon Burke was the celebrant and the
sermon was preached by Very Rev. A. Canon McMullan, P.P. Dromara.
When the Mercy Sisters left their convent the local
curates used the convent as a Parochial House.
Our Lady of the Apostles
The former 'Rostrevor House' became the
Convent of the Sisters of Our Lady of the Apostles in 1952. It
served as a centre of retreats and other spiritual activities.
The Rostrevor Benedictine community resided in part of it from
1998 until 2003. The property was sold in 2004.
On Sunday 14th. September 1952, a new convent for the
Sisters of Our Lady of the Apostles Rostrevor, was opened and blessed in
Rostrevor by Bishop O'Doherty. On Monday 15th. September, the bishop
celebrated the first Mass in the new convent chapel. Among the clergy
present were Very Rev. Dr. L. Carr, Superior of Dromantine College, and
Rev. M. Butler, chaplain to new convent.
The Benedictine Community of the Monastery of the
Holy Cross arrived in Rostrevor on the I0th. January 1998.
They came from the Abbey of Bec in France, having
been sent by the Most Reverend Dom Michelangelo M. Tiribilli, OSB, Abbot
General of the Benedictine Congregation of Saint Mary of Monte Oliveto,
to establish a monastic presence in Northern Ireland. It was Bishop
Francis Gerard Brooks who first welcomed the community into the Diocese
With the accord of Bishop John McAreavey, the formal
Canonical Erection of the Monastery took place on 29th. September 2000.
From the time of its arrival in Northern Ireland
until this date, the community has resided in part of the Convent of the
Missionary Sisters of Our Lady of Apostles (Rostrevor House).
A providential gift of land was offered to the
community on the Feast of Our Lady of Holy Hope, 23rd. October 2000, for
the building of a monastery on the present site, situated in Kilbroney
Valley. (Benefactors Mr. & Mrs. Patrick Joseph Kielty).
The turning of the sod and blessing of the land took
place on the Feast of All Saints of Ireland, 6th. November 2002.
On 29th. June 2003, Solemnity of the Apostles Peter
and Paul, at the request of the very Reverend Dom Mark-Ephrem M. Nolan,
OSB, first superior of Holy Cross Monastery, the Most Reverend John
McAreavey, Bishop of Dromore, blessed the cornerstone of the Monastic
On this stone were engraved these words:
"Jesus Christ is himself the cornerstone"
The ceremony took place in the presence of the
Dom Mark-Ephrem M. Nolan, OSB
Dom Eric M. Loisel, OSB
Dom Thierry M. Marteaux, OSB
Dom Benoit M. Charlet, OSB
Dom Pascal M. Jouy, OSB
A representative group of friends of the Benedictine
Community gathered for the occasion.
Appropriately, this group was drawn from across the
wider Christian community, given the intention, which had inspired the
building of the church:
"My house will be called a house of prayer for all
peoples". (Isaiah 56:7)
With their building work complete, the small
Benedictine community were able to occupy their new home in December of
2003. The monastery was solemnly dedicated on Sunday 18th. January 2004.
This was the first day of the `Week of Prayer for Christian Unity' for
The date was very special for the new monastery as
the monks consider the development of ecumenical relations to be an
important priority in their spiritual endeavours. On the evening before
Dedication, an Ecumenical Prayer Vigil was held. It was addressed by the
former Archbishop of Canterbury, Lord Carey. The Dedication ceremony
itself was attended by representatives of the various Christian
churches. Among those who took part in the liturgy of the occasion were
Archbishop Sein Brady, Cardinal Cahal Daly, Bishop John McAreavey,
Bishop Francis Gerard Brooks, Bishop Harold Miller of the Church of
Ireland Diocese of Down and Dromore and the Apostolic Nuncio to Ireland,
Dr. Guiseppe Lazzaroto.
The Sisters of Mercy were established
in Rostrevor in June 1865. This Convent building, to the
rear of the parish church, served as their home for
several generations. It was later occupied by curates of
St. Bronagh's Cemetery (Old Kilbroney) dates back to
the early centuries and contains the ruins of a pre-Reformation church.
The new portion of the cemetery was added in 1917.
The Convent of Mercy School for girls was opened in
1866. The school room was a converted cow-house. The foundation stone
was laid by Dr. Leahy O.P. on 7th. July 1868. The first extension was
made in 1961. The second extension and Youth Centre followed in 1983.
The Boys' school was opened in 1889. It was extended
in 19.68. The extension consisted of new classrooms, a kitchen and
servery, an assembly hall and a toilet block.
It is now intended to build a new co-educational school
Drumreagh or Grey Ridge was opened in 1910 and closed
in 1968. It is now a dwelling house owned by Seamus Ferris.
Killowen was opened as a school in 1910.
Rev. Pat Mc Evoy, P.P. secured the tenancy of the
oldest front portion of the house in 1832, and a lease of the same was
secured by Rev. Bernard Mooney, P.P. on 8th. January 1861. A lease of
the entire front was purchased by Rev. Pat O'Neill, RP on 26th. May
1865. The rear was added by Rev. M. Lynch, P.P. about 1890. The new
house is situated in the garden of the old house and was first occupied
on 24th. March 1980.
FACTS FROM THE PAST
The school roll in 1926 : Total was 282. Drumreagh
46, Killowen 50, Rostrevor boys 65, Girls 121. The school roll in 1911,
was 328. The parish population in 1933 was 1,737.
Place names of Rostrevor by Rev. B.J. Mooney
B.D., published in 1951, is a mine of information regarding the early
history of the parish of Kilbroney. Village in the Seven Hills, by W.
Naughton Crowe, also tells the story of Rostrevor.
MASS STATIONS IN PENAL DAYS
Ballincurry Mass Stone was situated on Ballincurry Braes
in the Killowen District.
Ballintur Mass Stone was located in Fitzsimmons' Braes.
Kilfeaghan Mass field is called 'Alt Niffern', on the
land of James Murphy.
Prior to the Reformation, the bishops of Dromore were
the rectors of Kilbroney and the parish was administered by vicars, of
whom only the names of the following remain:
Rev. Florence McDonegan, Canon of Dromore. was
vicar in 1307 when he was appointed bishop of Dromore.
Rev. Hugh O'Rooney was vicar in 1424.
Rev. Agholy McDermydan was "Guardian of the Staff
of St. Bronagh" in 1427.
Rev. John McGerywery, Canon of- Dromore, was
granted the churches of St. Bronagh the Virgin and Disertmoy on 4th.
January 1428. He does not appear to have taken up the charge.
Rev. Gyllabroney McKeown was granted by the
Primate, selle vacante, on 6th. August 1428.
Rev. Philip McKeown appointed by the Primate.
cede vacante, to collect the revenues and tithes of the lands of the
parish in 1431. It is not clear that he was vicar.
Rev. John McAvoy, Canon, 1433 - 42.
Rev. Clement McDonegan vicar on 16th, November 1443.
A vicar unnamed on 12th. September 1492. Rev. Arthur Magennis
vicar in 1526.
Rev. Patrick Byrne vicar in 1526, died in 1534. Rev. McGinn
vicar on 2nd. February 1534.
Rev. Fr. Cowan P.P. in 1657.
Rev. Marcus Fegan P.P. in 1670.
Rev. Maginn P.P. in 1690. He was living in exile
in Paris after 1691.
Rev. John Doran was registered as P.P. of
Kilkeel and Kilbroney on 11th. July 1704. He was then residing at
Drumreagh. He was a priest of Down & Connor and ministered in both
parishes, due to the scarcity of priests.
N.B. According to the report of the Protestant bishop
to the House of Lords, there was only one priest and one school in
Kilbroney in 1731. It was also reported that Mass was celebrated in two
old forts every Sunday and Holy Day.
A parliamentary report of 1766 furnished to the House
of Lords states that:- "There is one Parish priest, Priest Collins".
Rev. Fr. Collins P.P. in 1768 and maybe
Rev. M. McAlinden P.P. in 1772. He built the
original Mass House in Kilbroney.
Rev. Fr. McKey P.P. in 1779.
Rev. Matthew Lennon P.P. in 1769. He became
bishop of the diocese in 1780.
Rev. Thomas P.P., (Forby) in 5th. September 1782.
Rev. Bernard Devlin P.P. 1805 and died 1807.
Rev. ,lames Gilmore P.P. in 1814-17 a native
of Dechomet in the parish of Lr. Drumgooland. He received his early
education of classical training from a Presbyterian minister, Rev.
Samuel Kennedy of Rathfriland. Served in France. He went abroad acting
as chaplain to the British Soldiers at the Battle of Waterloo. During
his absence from Kilbroney, 181417, Fr. Peter Devlin was Adm.. Fr.
Gilmore resigned in 1825.
Rev. Peter Devlin was Adm. and was appointed PP.
in Magheralin in 1817.
Rev. Patrick McEvoy P.P. in 1825. He was a
native of the Parish of Lr. Drumgooland. Died of a fever caught in the
discharge of his duties on 16th. October 1847.
Rev. Bernard Mooney P.P. 24th. December 1847.
He was a native of Clonduff Parish. He erected the Church of St. Mary's
Star of the Sea, Rostrevor, 184854, and died in the Parochial House,
Rostrevor, on 25th. November 1864. He was the priest who officiated at
the celebrated `Yelverton Marriage' which took place behind closed doors
in the old Killowen Church (now the school) on 15th. August 1857.
Rev. Patrick O'Neill P.P. on 8th. December
1862. He was born in the diocese of Kilmore. He established the Sisters
of Mercy in the parish and erected the church at Killowen. He founded
the Newry Conference of the St. Vincent De Paul Society and was its
first Spiritual Director. He died on 16th. August, 1890.
Rev. Matthew Lynch P.P on 26th. April 1890.
Born in the parish of Drumgath, Fr. Lynch was educated by one of the old
hedge masters in his native parish and when he entered Violet Hill
College he was already a brilliant classical scholar. He died on 3rd.
Rev. Daniel Mallon P.P. on 16th. February
1907. He was born in Ballydoo in the parish of Drumgath. Canon Mallon
was a forceful and polished speaker. He died on 28th. March 1921.
Rev. Hugh O'Reilly B.A. M.R.I.A. P.P. on the
30th. March 1921. He was a native of Dechomet. Under his father's
tuition, he was able to read Latin authors at the age of six, and Greek
authors when he was eight. He was said to be a good classical scholar by
the age of eleven. In Maynooth he was referred to by his contemporaries
as "Genius O'Reilly"!
He was appointed President of St. Coleman's College
on 2nd. September 1896. On the death of Bishop O'Neill, in 1915, he was
named 'dignissimus' by the parish priests for the vacant see but owing
to Fr. O'Reilly's failing eyesight Dr. Edward Mulhern was appointed
Bishop. Fr. O'Reilly was made a Privy Chamberlain by Pope Benedict XV.
He died on 19th. January 1927. He was an eminent garlic scholar and is
said to have known the history of every inch of his native diocese. His
only published works were pamphlets on SS. Conall and Dalian (Newry
1891) and Fr. Theobald Matthew (Newry 1891). He was elected a member of
the Royal Irish Academy on 13th. January 1896.
Rev. William McGinn P.P. on 14th. February 1927. He
was born in Goward in the parish of Clonduff. He carried out many
improvements to Rostrevor Church which was solemnly consecrated by Dr.
Mulhern on 11th. August 1932. He erected the shrine in honour of St.
Bronagh, patroness of the parish, over the Holy Well in Kilbroney
Cemetery. He died in Killowen on 16th. August 1943.
Rev. Timothy Boyle R.P. on 8th. September 1944. He
was born in Gilford, in the parish of Tullylish. Fr. Boyle was President
of St. Colman's College Newry from 1st. August 1925. He was appointed a
Domestic Prelate on 7th. March 1963 and Archdeacon of the Diocesan
Chapter on 15th. November 1963. He died on 23rd. December 1971.
Rev. Thomas Mooney P.P. on 22nd. January 1972. A
native of Drumgath Parish, he was appointed Ecclesiastical Inspector of
Primary Schools of the diocese on 27th. August 1937. He was the first
chairman of the Dromore Diocesan Historical Society. Fr. Mooney became
Archdeacon on 20th. January 1984. He retired on 30th. August 1987 and
went to reside in Drumgath Parish.
Rev. Arthur Byrne P.P. on 30th. August 1987. A native
of Lurgan, he was appointed Dean of discipline in St. Colman's College,
Newry on 20th. March 1955. He was Adm. in Newry from 1981. Fr. Byrne was
transferred to St. Peter's, Lurgan in 1992, and was made Vicar General
of the Diocese.
Rev. Arthur Bradley R.P. on 11 th. September 1992. A
native of Aughnagun in the parish of St. Patrick's Clonallon. He was a
late vocation and became Adm. in Newry on 30th. August 1986. He was made
a Domestic Prelate by Pope John Paul II on the 27th. November 1990.
Monsignor Bradley became Diocesan Lourdes Director in 1993 and a member
of the Cathedral Chapter in 1998. He retired in 2004.
Rev. Michael Hackett was appointed P.P. of Kilbroney in
August 2004. A native of Co. Tyrone, Fr.
Hackett previously served on the staff of St.
Colman's College, Newry, and was a curate in Ballela and later in
Lurgan. He was parish priest of Moyraverty (Craigavon) prior to his
appointment to Rostrevor.
|Rev. John O'Neill,
|Rev. John Doran,
||1834 - 7
|Rev. Eugene Crolly,
||1837 - 8
|Rev. Thomas Loy,
||1838 - 40
|Rev. Patrick Mc
||1840 - 8
|Rev. Robert Denvir,
||1849 - 50
|Rev. William Ronan,
|Rev. John O'Reilly,
||1850 - 5
|Rev. Patrick Polin,
||1855 - 6
|Rev. James Mc Kenna,
||1856 - 63
|Rev. John Mc Grath,
|Rev. Stephen Mc
||1867 - 8
|Rev. Daniel Mallon,
|Rev. John Lowry,
||1872 - 4
|Rev. James Lowry,
||1874 - 6
|Rev. Andrew Lowry,
||1885 - 95
|Rev. Joseph Doyle,
||1895 - 1901
|Rev. Edward Mc
||Dec. 1901- Oct. 1905
|Rev. William Mc
||September 1905 - 11
||February - November 1911
|Rev. Daniel Toman,
||November 1911 - 3
|Rev. Edward McRory,
||August 1913 - 7
|Rev. Michael H.
||June - July 1917
|Rev. Edward Mc
||July 1917 - 33
|Rev. Daniel Pollen,
||1917 - 9
|Rev. Henry Doran,
||1921 - 7
|Rev. Bernard J.
||April 1933 - 6
|Rev. John Joseph Mc
|Rev. Hugh Connolly,
||July 1943 - September 1944
|Rev. Edward Moore,
||June 1952 (Temp.) - Nov.1952
|Rev. John Joseph
||Nov. 1952 - Jan. 1965
|Rev. Frank Treanor,
||January 1965 - 80
|Rev. Oliver Mooney,
||Oct. 1971 -Jan. 1972 (Temp.)
||January 1980 - August 1990
|Rev. Peter Lennon,
||October 1985 - January 1988
|Rev. Jim Kerr,
||January 1988 - September 1993
|Rev. Patrick Joseph
||August 1990 - 95
|Rev. Colum Wright,
||September 1993 - 98
||February 1992 - 99
||October 1999 - 2004.
A new feature of the religious life of
Kilbroney Parish and the Dromore Diocese is the community of
Benedictine monks who have lived in the area since 1998. Their
impressive new Holy Cross Monastery located between Rostrevor
and Hilltown was opened in January 2004.