|TOPOGRAPHICAL AND HISTORICAL ACCOUNT OF
A POEM ON SAME,
THE MAZE-A SATIRE.
TO WHICH IS ADDED, SOME
ETC. ETC. ETC.
BY HENRY BAYLY.
PRINTED BY THOMAS MAIRS, JOY'S ENTRY. e
VERY REV. JAMES STANNUS,
DEAN OF ROSS,
AND TO THE
REPRESENTATIVE, SENESCHAL, BURGESSES,
AND CITIZENS OF LISBURN,
THIS HISTORY IS HUMBLY DEDICATED,
It is not without diffidence that this little volume is laid before an intelligent public; but as it is his first, and shall certainly be his last intrusion, he hopes to meet indulgence; at all events, to escape the penalty of severe censure. Those of the little tribe, vulgarly denominated CRICKETS, who quibble and, nibble at every line, would do well to remember, that it is not quite so easy to write a book as to read one. The fraternity of higher bred critics, it is expected, will be lenient with the production of one whose age is on the youthful side, and whose health, means, and time, allow him very few opportunities of worshipping at the shrine of Literature. The depressing circumstances under which any work is written, should always mitigate the rigor of criticism. Ovid at home, and Ovid in exile, wrote very differently. This volume was produced under many disadvantages. Scarcely a page of the earlier part but was penned by night, after the labor and fatigue of the Author's daily avocation. * WHATEVER WAY BE THE RECEPTION OF THE WORK, THE TOWN AND COUNTRY ATTEMPTED TO BE DESCRIBED ARE NOT DEFICIENT IN MATERIALS FOR SUCH AN UNDERTAKING, OR FOR ONE ON A LARGER SCALE.
To all his Subscribers, and to those friends who exerted themselves in promoting its circulation, the Author returns his most sincere, most heartfelt thanks, but particularly to those professional gentlemen in Dublin, Roscommon, &c. who have, as a personal favor, taken copies of a work so local and exclusive in its nature. Being for a long time a stranger to " Kindness, Encouragement, and Co." the present obligations are the more enhanced and appreciated. And most truly grateful does he feel for the kind manner in which some senior members of the legal profession have expressed a gratification at the literary attempts, and a desire to encourage the child of one (now no more) who, for upwards of forty years, practised in the same courts with themselves, and who, during a long and busy life, filled several stations of honor and trust with credit and approbation.
H. B. LISBURN, 2d March, 1834.
* The Law was not considered by Hume as the best element for fostering and improving a taste or talent for the beauties of Literature. To the poet it would not be very charming, if after the line-" There was a sound of revelry by night," came the exquisite, "To have and to hold" in darkness and light !
LISBURN AND VICINITY.
Samuel Heron, Esq. R. N.
LISBURN is situate in the barony of Massereen,* on the river Lagan, in the county of Antrim, and is seventy-three miles north of Dublin, and something more than six south of Belfast. It is acknowledged to be the handsomest inland town in Ireland. It is the second town in the county Antrim, not only for size, trade, and population, but also as regards political and religious supremacy, moral influence, wealth and enterprize.
In the reign of Queen Elizabeth, Lisburn was only a small village, and at that period called Lisnegarvy. The town having been fired by the rebels in 1641, was the origin of the name being changed. The original proprietor of the territory of Killultagh, in which it stands, was an O'Neill of the Tyrone family. In the reign of James I. Sir Fulk Conway obtained a grant of it. He induced a number of English and Welsh families to settle here. From a plan of the town taken, it is thought, sometime in that reign, and preserved in the Marquis of Hertford's office, it appears that there were then fifty-three tenements in the place besides the Castle. From this plan it is evident that the centre of the town (all that was then in existence) has undergone but little alteration in shape, the streets still remaining in the same form as when laid out in the reign of James I. except what has been occasioned by the buildings near the market-house ; nor for many years after does it seem to have made any great progress ; for in 1635, it is thus described by an English traveller :" Linsley Garvin, about seven miles from Belfast, is well seated; but neither the town, nor country thereabouts, were planted, (inhabited) being almost all woods and moorish, until you come to Dromore. The town belongs to Lord Conway, who hath a good handsome house there."
* Massereen is said to signify a beautiful portion - a name truly descriptive of the Barony.
Lisburn is remarkable for a victory gained over the Irish rebels, commanded by Sir Phelim O'Neil, Sir Con Magenis, and General Plunket, on the 28th of November, 1641, a little more than a month after the breaking out of the Rebellion; Sir George Rawdon, who commanded the King's forces, having arrived at Lisburn on the evening before the battle.
The following detailed account of this engagement remains on record in the vestry-book of the cathedral:
" LISNEGARVY, the 28th of Nov. 1641.
" A brief relation of the miraculous victory gained there that day over,' the first formed army of the Irish, soon after their rebellion, which broke out the 23d of October, 1641.
"Sir Phelemy O'Neil, Sir Connor Maginnis, their general then in Ulster,
and Major-General Plunkett, (who had been a soldier in foreign kingdoms)
having enlisted and drawn together out of the counties of Armagh, Tyrone,
Antrim, and Down, and other counties in Ulster, eight or nine thousand men,
which were formed into eight regiments, and a troop of horse, with two
field-pieces; they did rendezvous on the 27th of November, at and about a
house belonging to Sir John Rawdon, at Brookhill, three miles distant from
Lisnegarvy, in which they knew there was garrison of five companies, newly
raised, and the Lord Conway's troop of horse. And their principal design
being to march into and besiege Carrickfergus, they judged it unsafe to pass
by Lisnegarvy, and therefore resolved to attack it next morning, making
little account of the opposition that could be given them by so small a
number, not half armed, and so slenderly provided of ammunition, (which they
had perfect intelligence of by several Irish that left our party and stole
away to them) for that they were so numerous and well provided of ammunition
by the fifty barrels of powder
And Sir Arthur Yerringham (governor of Newry) who commanded the garrison, and Sir George Rawdon, and the officers foreseeing if, their two divisions on both sides of the town should fall in together, that they would overpower our small number. For prevention thereof, a squadron of horse, with some musketeers, was commanded to face one of them that was marching on the north side, and to keep them at a distance as long as they could; which was so well performed, that the other division which marched by the river on the south side, came in before the other, time enough to be well beaten back by the horse, and more than two hundred slain of them in Bridge-street, and in their retreat as they fled back to the main body.
"After which expedition, the horse returning to the marketplace, found the enemy had forced in our small party on the north side, and had entered the town, and was marching down Castle-Street, which our horse so charged there, that at least 300 were slain of the rebels in the street, and in the meadows behind the houses, through which they did run away to their main body; whereby they were so much discouraged, that almost in two hours after, their officers could not get any more parties to adventure upon us ; but in the main space, they entertained us with continued shot from their main body, and their field pieces, till about one of the clock, that. fresh parties were issued out and beaten back as before, with the loss of many of their men, which they supplied with others till night; and in the dark they fired all the town, which was in a few hours turned into ashes ; -and in that confusion and heat of the fire, the enemy made a fierce assault. But it so pleased God, that we were better provided for them than they expected, by a relief that came to us at night-fall from Belfast, of the Earl of Donegall's troop, and a company of foot, commanded by Captain Boyd, who was unhappily slain presently after his first entrance into the town. And after the houses were on fire, about six of the clock, till about ten or eleven, it is not easy to give any certain account or relation of the several encounters in divers places in the town, between small parties of our horse, and those of the enemy, whom they charged as they advanced, and hewed them down, so that every corner was filled with carcases, and the slain were found to be more than thrice the number of those that fought against them, as appeared next day, when the constables and inhabitants, employed to bury them, gave up their accounts. About ten or eleven o'clock, their two generals quitted their stations, and marched away in the dark, and had not above 200 of their men with them, as we were informed next morning, by several English prisoners that escaped from them, who told us that the rest of their men bad either run away before them, or were slain ; and that their field-pieces were thrown into the river, or into some moss-pit, which we never could find after; and in this their retreat, they fired Brookhill house, and the Lord Conway's library in it, and other goods, to the value of five or six thousand pounds, their fear and haste not at all allowing them to carry any thing away, except some plate and some linen; and this they did in revenge to the owner, whom they heard was landed the day before, and bad been active in the service against them, and was shot that day, and also had his horse shot under him, but mounted presently upon another; and Captain St. John and Captain Burley were also wounded, and about thirty men more of our party, most of whom recovered, and not above twenty-five or twenty-six were slain. And if it be well considered, how meanly our men were armed, and all our ammunition spent before night, and that if we had not been supplied with men, by the timely care and providence of the Earl of Donegall, and other commanders from his Majesty's store at Carrickfergus, (who sent us powder, post, in mails, on horseback, one after another) and that most of our new-raised companies, were of poor stript men, that had made their escape from the rebels, of whom they had such a dread, that they thought them not easily to be beaten, and that all our horse (that did the most execution) were not above 120, viz., the Lord Conway's troop, and a squadron of the Lord Grandison's troop, (the rest of them having been murdered in their - quarters in Tanragee) and about 40 of a country troop, and a company from Belfast that came to us at night. It must be confessed that the Lord of Hosts did signally appear for us, who can save with or without any means, and did by very small means give us the victory over his and our enemies, and enough of their arms to supply the defects of our new companies, and about 50 of their colours and drums. But it is to be remembered with regret, that this loss and overthrow did so enrage the rebels, that for several days and weeks after, they murdered many hundreds of the Protestants, whom they had kept prisoners in the counties of Armagh and Tyrone, and other parts of Ulster, and tormented them by several manners of death. And it is a circumstance very observable, that much snow had fallen in the week before this action, and on the day before it was a little thaw, and a frost thereupon it in the night, so that the streets were covered with ice, which proved greatly to our advantage; for that all the smiths had been employed that whole night to frost our horses, so that they stood firm, while the brogues slipt and fell down to our feet. For which, and our miraculous deliverance from a cruel and bloody army, how great cause have we to rejoice, and praise the name of our God, and say with that kingly prophet- "If it had not been the Lord himself who was on our side, when men rose up against us, they had swallowed us up quick, when they were so wrathfully displeased at us. Yea the waters of the deep had drowned us, and the stream bad gone over our soul; but praised be the Lord who has not given us over a prey unto their teeth : our soul is escaped even as a bird out of the snare of the fowler: the snare is broken and we are safe. Our hope standeth in the name of the Lord, who made Heaven and Earth."-Amen.
In 1662, the inhabitants of the town of Lisburn, on account of their loyalty to Charles the 1st and 2d, were (by the same patent which erected the church of Lisburn into a Cathedral for the united diocese of Down and Connor) empowered to return two Burgesses to Parliament forever, the Sheriff of the county of Antrim, upon all summonses to elect a Parliament, being obliged to send his precept to the Seneschal of the Manor of Killultagh, (done at this day) who was made the returning officer, notwithstanding the inhabitants were not a corporate body.*
* Harris's Manuscripts, Dublin Society.
The following is a true translation (from the Latin) of the LISBURN CHARTER,* dated 27th October-14 Charles II.
* The original lies in an iron box in Lord Hertford's office, Lisburn.
" Charles II. by the grace of God, of England, Scotland, France, and Ireland, King, Defender of the Faith, &c. To all to whom these our present Letters shall come Greeting.
WHEREAS we understand that the cathedral church of Down and Connor, in
our province of Ulster, within our kingdom of Ireland, being at present not
only ruinous and laid waste, but also were founded in inconvenient places
and extreme parts of the several dioceses of Down and Connor, by means
whereof, not only the service of God was much neglected, but the necessary
meetings and assembly of the bishops and clergy .
AND WHEREAS WE retain a sense of the many Losses which the Inhabitants of the said Town of Lisburne, alias Lisnegarvie, have sustained for their allegiance towards us and our Royal Father of Glorious Memory. KNOW YE THEREFORE that WE of our special grace, certain knowledge, and mere motion, for us our heirs and successors, Do Give and Grant to the dwellers and inhabitants of the said Town of Lisburne, alias Lisnegarvie, That they and their successors for ever hereafter, can, and may, from time to time, elect and choose two fit and proper persons to be Burgesses to attend and sit in every parliament hereafter to be summoned, appointed, and held within our said kingdom of Ireland. And that such persons so hereafter to be appointed to sit and attend in Parliament, as Burgesses for the said Town, can, and may freely, lawfully, and without fear, treat and consult of such matters and things which to them there shall be set forth and declared, and thereupon to render their votes and suffrages as any other burgesses, of any other ancient Borough within our said kingdom of Ireland, might, or could do, or heretofore was accustomed to do. AND FURTHER WE will, and by these Presents for us, our heirs and successors, with the advice and consent aforesaid, and according to the tenor of our aforesaid Letters, Do strictly enjoin and command, that whenever a Parliament hereafter to be summoned in our said kingdom of Ireland, the Sheriff of us, our heirs and successors of our county of Antrim aforesaid for the time being, by virtue of a writ directed to him for the electing of knights, citizens, and burgesses for such Parliament, shall make and send his precept to the Seneschal of the Manor of Killultagh for the time being, (within which Manor the said Town is situate) for the making such election in and for the aforesaid town of Lisburn, alias Lisnegarvie, in the same form as such precept to any ancient Borough, in such case, was accustomed to be sent; which Seneschal, also, we strictly enjoin and command that such precept to him to be directed, in all things to execute, and to cause such election to be made, and to return in such manner and form as in any other Borough of our said kingdom of Ireland, usually, or anciently was made, or now ought to be done, notwithstanding that the Inhabitants of the said Town are not Incorporated, and any law, statute act, ordinance, or any thing whatsoever made to the contrary thereof, in any wise notwithstanding. Willing, moreover, and granting that these our letters Patent, or the Involvement thereof, shall be in and by all things firm, good, valid, sufficient, and effectual in the law against us, our heirs and successors, as well in all the courts of us as elsewhere, -wheresoever within our said kingdom of Ireland, without any other confirmation, license, or tolleration from us, our heirs or successors, hereafter to be procured or obtained. Notwithstanding the ill naming, or ill reciting, or not reciting the said cathedral church, and notwithstanding any defect in the certainty of the premises, and any other thing, cause, custom, or statute, in any manner to the contrary notwithstanding. Altho' express mention of the true yearly value or certainty of the premises, or either of them, or of any other gifts or grants, by us or by any our progenitors, heretofore being made in these presents, any statute, act, ordinance, or provision; or any other thing, cause, or matter whatsoever, to the contrary of the premises in any wise notwithstanding. In witness whereof, we have caused these our letters to be made patent, witness our aforesaid Lieutenant. General of our said kingdom of Ireland, at Dublin, the 27th day of October, in the 14th year of our reign."
In 1707, this town was burned to the ground by an accidental fire. The Castle, a noble edifice, built by the Earl of Conway, (who died in 1690) shared the same fate as the other houses, and was never rebuilt. The ruins, and the place immediately surrounding, have an antique appearance, viewed from Bridge-street. Mr. Ward's house (next the market-house) was the first built after the fire. It has the following inscription.
About 50 years ago, and recently, many new houses have been built in Lisburn, three and four stories high, and well slated. The majority of the houses in Castle-street are, in appearance, equal to some of the best in Dublin. Lord Hertford's mansion, opposite the castle gardens, is a noble one, the rere of which is a most delightful view. Of late years, some public-spirited shopkeepers have made such improvements, as to give their shops an appearance almost equal to some of the principal in Belfast. Among those who have thus shown a taste for improvement, may be mentioned, Mr. Crossley, proprietor of the Hertford Arms Hotel, Mr. Greeves, Mr. John Moore, Mr. Chapman, &c.
In the buildings recently erected, a taste for their better laying out
and execution is very perceptible. Vast improvements have been conferred
upon the town, since the accession of Lord Hertford's present highly
esteemed land-agent, Dean Stannus, whose evident wishes and zealous
exertions for its welfare and prosperity, are so conspicuous and apparent,
as to be universally felt and acknowledged. Recently many old houses and
cabins have been pulled down, and replaced by neat comfortable brick and
slated houses ; and various fountains have been erected for the greater
convenience of the poorer classes ; these, with many other improvements,
both useful and ornamental, call forth every honest heart's gratitude and
admiration. Indeed the greater portion of the improvements that are now
perceptible, are the growth of the last few years : nor are they confined to
Lisburn in particular, but the most splendid tokens of taste, utility, and
perseverance in improvements pervade the whole estate.
The equable motion of reflected sounds seems to be rendered doubtful by an unusual and wonderful kind of Echo, of which I have received an account from my friend, the Rev. Philip Skelton, a person in the highest degree worthy of credit. These are his words:---
' The town of Lisburn, in the county of Antrim, is built upon a hill of no great elevation, and has two rows of brick houses, extending from east to west. Between these, at about the middle of the entire extent, there stands a row of buildings, which is much shorter than the others ; right over-against this hill, towards the north, there stretches another parallel to the former, and somewhat higher. There is a spot in the south quarter of the latter declivity, from whence one may see, at right angles, the nearest row of the before-mentioned houses, which, however, bides from the view the second and third that are placed behind it. If, from this place, with the face turned towards the town, you shall pronounce, with a loud and distinct voice, a verse of ten, or even a greater number of syllables, provided the air be still, and you listen in silence, all those syllables will, in a time proportioned to the distance, in distinct order, and as is usual in your very tone of voice, be returned to your car. A little after, the repeated sounds will begin from the second range of houses, and they will all with distinctness be reverberated secondarily, but in more than double the interval of time from the first syllable to the last, and as it were delayed. After these two reverberations, Echo, as if more loquacious here than elsewhere, in a much more lengthened and, as I might say, affected tone, will answer you a third time, in the same syllables, from the third range of houses.'
N. B.-The person who has extracted the above, has made ineffectual inquiry in Lisburn, respecting this extraordinary Echo. It is supposed by the various alterations which have lately been made in the town, the Echo is lost.
PLACES OF PUBLIC WORSHIP.
THE places of worship are-1. The Cathedral. 2. Presbyterian Meeting-house. 3. The Society of Friends' Meeting house. 4. Chapel of the Wesleyan Methodists. 5. Methodist Refuge Chapel. 6. Roman Catholic Chapel.
About ten years since, two spacious galleries were erected, and the cathedral is now capable of accommodating a thousand persons. We suppose the cost of erecting this fine building (including the late improvements) must have exceeded £2000. The congregation is very numerous and respectable; the majority of the population in and about Lisburn, are members of the Established Church. The living of Lisburn, alias Blaris, is a rectory in the gift of the Marquis of Hertford. The parish contains twenty-six townlands. The present rector is the Rev. Snowden Cupples, D. D. Curates, Rev. T. Thompson and Rev. R. Bridge.
Of the monuments erected within the walls of the Cathedral, the following are the most remarkable :
This edifice, to which you enter from Market-square by a good wrought-iron gate, was built in the year 1768. It is a large building, well lighted with twenty-three windows, and has three fine galleries. The expense of building was between £800 and £900. Within the last ten years the galleries have been enlarged, and the house is now capable of accommodating upwards of a thousand persons. The cost of this, with other improvements, exceeded £250. The Presbyterian congregation of Lisburn consists of more than five hundred families.
The house opens for divine service on Sundays at twelve o'clock; and for the last eight or nine years, there has been also preaching at six o'clock in the evening of the same day. There is also a religious lecture given every Wednesday evening, and a prayer-meeting held every Thursday, at seven o'clock, p. m. It is the particular practice of the Presbyterian pastors, to visit their hearers through the week, at their houses. They also preach in schools, and other places in the country districts, during the week. The average amount of stipends received by the minister of the Lisburn congregation, is about £150 per annum; which, with the Royal Bounty of £100, makes £250, as the annual income-a sum moderate enough for the duties and services performed, and the outlay necessary.
In the succession of ministers belonging to this congregation, we find some who have eminently distinguished themselves for their labors, learning, and talents. Doctor William Bruce has been remarkable, as belonging to a family that has produced seven ministers in regular succession, from the Reformation to the present day. Doctor Bruce is now the minister of the first Presbyterian congregation of Belfast, and principal of the Academy, and has acquired considerable reputation as an author. The Rev. James Morgan possesses talents of a very superior order, and is one of our ablest champions of Christianity ; he has published several excellent sermons, upon various subjects.
The late Rev. Andrew Craig was minister of this congregation for the long period of fifty-five years. In 1824, after forty-two years active service, the Rev. Mr. Morgan was appointed as an assistant to Mr. Craig. Upon this occasion a deputation from the congregation, consisting of Alexander Williamson, George Whitla, Esqrs. and Surgeon Musgrave, presented to the Rev. A. Craig a very handsome piece of plate, value thirty guineas, bearing the following inscription, and accompanied with a suitable address :
Presented to the Rev. ANDREW CRAIG,
The Rev. gentleman returned a very suitable answer.
In the spring of 1829, the Rev. Alex. Henderson succeeded Mr. Morgan, that gentleman having been called to Belfast. He is an exemplary clergyman, an excellent preacher, and a man of sterling Christian worth.
SOCIETY OF FRIENDS' MEETING-HOUSE.
This is a plain, neat, commodious edifice, the entrance to which is by a long confined passage, from the main street of the town. Had this building, as well with the Presbyterian Meeting-House, been placed in a parallel line with the front street, and not built so far in the rere, they would add much to the beauty and symmetry of the town. The lower part of this building escaped the fire of 1707, and is still remaining. Wherever the Quakers have formed settlements, their persevering industry and undeviating integrity have been highly advantageous to the commerce, the manufactures, and the agriculture of the surrounding country. The people are so much benefitted by their labor, and improved by their example, that a debt of gratitude is due by society at large to this invaluable community.
William Edmunson was the first zealous Quaker preacher who settled in Ulster. About the year 1651, he married, left Cromwell's army, passed over from England to Dublin, and from thence to Antrim, where he took a house, in which his wife and his brother resided with him. Shortly after this period he revisited his native country, where, having heard the celebrated George Fox expounding, with his usual eloquence, the principles of the Quaker religion, he was convinced by the cogency of his arguments, and adopted his opinions, as perfectly consonant to the spirit of Christianity. On his return to Antrim, in the year 1653, be astonished the officers at the custom-house, in Carrickfergus, by refusing to take the oaths required by law, on the entry of his goods, " because," said he, " Christ hath forbidden men to swear,"
A. D. 1634, William Edmunson removed from Antrim to Lurgan, (ten miles from Lisburn.) He was scarcely settled in his new habitation, when he found himself enabled to form a regular periodical meeting of ` the Friends' under his own hospitable roof. This was the first religious assemblage or congregation established in Ireland by the Quakers.
It will reflect eternal credit on the Quakers of Ireland, that from them issued the first censure, passed by any public body, on that abominable traffic, the SLAVE TRADE. This took place at the National Meeting, held in Dublin in 1727, thirty-one years before a similar resolution was passed by the yearly meeting of Friends in London.
CHAPEL OF THE WESLEYAN METHODISTS.
THE ground on which this place of worship is erected, was granted for
ever by Edward Gayer, Esq. of Derriaghy, vested in seven trustees It was
built in the year 1772, and cost about £500. The exterior is plain, though
not inelegant. The interior is lightsome, well ventilated, and handsomely
fitted up. About the year 1780, the Rev. John Johnson, the then resident
preacher, gave £150 (upon certain conditions) towards enlarging the house
thirty-six feet longer, so that it is now sixty-six feet in length, and
thirty-six in breadth. Under the tasteful superintendence of Mr.
A Sunday-school has been lately established, and is attended by about fifty children; the members of the congregation acting occasionally as teachers. Public worship is held in this house at eleven o'clock, a. m. every Sunday; also at seven in the evening. A sermon was preached formerly every Thursday evening, but it has been recently changed to Monday. We think the old-appointed time suited the purposes of piety better. The eucharist is administered once a quarter, on the second Sunday in the month. A prayer-meeting is held here every evening in the week, (except on Saturdays ;) and occasionally the members have meetings at one another's houses, for the purposes of prayer, exhortation, and Christian communion.
The present preachers are, the Rev. Michael Burrows and the Rev. Edward Johnson.
Methodism was introduced into Lisburn by the Rev. John r Wesley, in about the year 1760, when he preached in a small house in Bow-street, since which period it has made a very g rapid proress. The average number of members in attendance at this house is 300.
THE METHODIST REFUGE CHAPEL.
This place of worship is erected on a site opposite the chapel just noticed. It is a neat building, and is occupied by a dissenting branch of the Wesleyan Methodists.
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHAPEL.
This is a neat handsome building, in a retired part of the town, and was erected about the year 1794, by subscription from all denominations. Since its erection, owing to the increase of its members, there has been an aisle and two galleries added. T he Roman Catholics have recently built a good dwelling-house for their clergyman, (in the vicinity of the chapel,) aided by general subscription. The Marquis of Hertford granted the ground, with a donation of £20. It is owing to justice to state, that the Rev. Mr. Smyth, the R. C. clergyman, has uniformly distinguished himself, by his philanthropy, in attending and giving advice to the sick poor of all denominations, his vast medical knowledge enabling him to be a physician of bodies as well as souls.
Whatever be the cause, this sect of Christians residing here, (and indeed in the surrounding districts,) have always been remarkable for their peaceable conduct and moral behaviour, being greatly divested of that antipathy to Protestants, and that bigotry and intolerance which distinguish those of Dublin, Cork, and other large cities.
From the great scene exhibited in the variety of religious opinions, practice, ceremonies, forms, discipline, doctrine, differences, schisms, &c. characterizing the believers in Christ, and the witnesses of the faith among all churches, assemblies, sects, and denominations of Christians, we would fain turn our eyes, and wrap our souls in the contemplation of that glorious privilege and inheritance which. all value and enjoy equally,-even our common Christianity-the blessed Gospel -the light of life, through our Lord and Saviour, the Sun of Righteousness ! Standing on the pillar of faith and the rock of salvation, with the Bible in one hand, and Magna Charta in the other, we would contemplate the great gulph betwixt the nations that know GOD, and the nations that know him not; we would contrast the civil and religious position and state of the Christian in our own country, with the civil and religious position and state of the Infidel in his country; and, with the soul of a Christian, the heart of a freeman, and the uplifted hand of a Briton, we would bless THE LAND WE LIVE IN! We would hail the day-star of regeneration, and the broad sun of philanthropy flinging its floods of glory over our political and religious atmosphere, and no longer mourn with the poet
" Oh for a lodge in some vast wilderness-----
We would hail the dawn of that morn when Christians would practise the principles they profess; we would pray Christ to quicken his kingdom-to hasten the time when the wolf shall lie down with the lamb, and the earth be filled with the knowledge of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea!
MALE FREE SCHOOL.
THE Lisburn Male Free School is built on the south side Of the town, contiguous to the Dublin road. It is, upon the whole, a very handsome structure, with a neat cupola. It is forty and one-half feet, by twenty-four, well lighted with four arched windows in front, each ten feet high, also an arched window over the front door, and two windows in the rere, each eight feet high. The site and grounds of the school-house, and master's House, was the gift of the Marquis of Hertford, who liberally contributed to both. The bell for the cupola, which weighs forty-three pounds, was presented by the late Rowly Hall, Esq., of Lisburn, in 1822.
The school-house, yard, front gates of wrought-iron, and other appendages, cost £387 7s. 7d. A few yards from the School stands a neat house for the master, the erection of which exceeded £95. Mr. William M'Cann is the present master, and has filled this situation for the long space of fourteen years, with every credit to himself, and advantage to his pupils.
This excellent institution was opened on the 29th of May, 1810, by Mr. John Crossley Jun., and the Rev. Thomas Cupples, who for some time labored under many difficulties, the principal of which was the want of a suitable place to educate the objects of their care, the children. of the poor. Another was the want of means to defray the expenses incurred by the institution. They, nevertheless, did not permit these barriers to deter them in the prosecution of their laudable and praiseworthy undertaking-they not only devoted their time and attention to the instruction of the children of the poor, but purchased the requisites indispensable for the institution, and defrayed all expenses attending it for better than a year, after which they presented their benevolent townsmen with a report of the Free School, soliciting their aid for its support and establishment ; and it is gratifying and creditable to find, that after the second report was submitted to the inhabitants, a subscription of £74 14s. was made in favor of the institution, which enabled the conductors to go on, under the Divine blessing, to impart to the children a religious and useful education, which has been the means, in a great degree, of abolishing those pernicious amusements formerly practised on the Lord's day. The Sabbath is now no longer esteemed by them as a day for sport or diversions; nor is the name of the Supreme any longer profaned by their vain oaths or wicked exclamations. The conductors applied for, and obtained, the use of the court-house; this privilege enabled them to impart to a greater number of children the blessings of education. When considering the noble work which is going on in so many schools of this kind in England and elsewhere, our souls glow with the delightful hope, that so many refreshing fountains are opened through our own land, from which the streams of knowledge are spreading holy desires, good counsels, just works, correcting the manners, reforming the habits, purifying the hearts of the rising generation ; and if we for a moment consider the tendency of these to promote the happiness of the lower classes, what lover of Ireland would not exult in the progress of this glorious cause, the education of the poor?
We rejoice to give publicity to the liberal legacy of £100 to the Lisburn Free School, and also £100 to the Female School, by the late George Whitla, Esq. The interest of this sum is appropriated to the purchase of clothing for the most needy of the children in attendance. From the report of this School for the past year, (1833) it appears that the funds are rather low, from many of its most zealous supporters having been called off the stage of time. The number of children on the roll has increased, within the last ten years, from 170 to 230. The yearly subscriptions average from 40 to £50
THE FEVER HOSPITAL.
This is a fine brick building, on an elevated site contiguous to the Dublin road, and forms a pleasing ornament at the entrance of the town. When the contemplated avenue is laid off, and the local appendages completed, the appearance of this edifice, in point of scenographic beauty, will be quite unique. This charitable Institution, for the reception of fever patients, was built by subscription in 1832-3. The cost was £600. The grounds were the gift of the Marquis of Hertford, who also, with his usual liberality, gave £250 towards its erection.
To a reflecting and compassionate mind, no kind of charity can appear so
urgent, so important, or so vitally requisite as the two institutions which
we have just noticed. It would appear a very singular thing, (if one did not
see it often,) that any kind of public edifice, whether for religious
worship, for education, for the common poor, or for the purposes of
commerce, should have ever been established, either by individuals or
states, until hospitals for the sick poor were first erected. In behalf of
those two excellent institutions we would raise our humble voice, and
cheerfully devote our pages (worthless as they are) to their service. In the
spirit of genuine philanthropy and Christianity-by the love of Him who ' had
not where to lay his head,' we would appeal to all those who possess (as
stewards of a merciful providence) " this world's wealth," in behalf of the
afflicted objects of those most interesting charities. Could we express as
strongly as we feel- could we imprint on other hearts the deep concern and
conviction of our own, -then would our language not be feeble, nor our
readers unmoved; nor would we be without the satisfaction of being
instrumental in helping to kindle up a regenerated ardor for the continuance
of that support which the inhabitants of Lisburn have always liberally given
in the best of causes-the cause of HUMANITY.
This building stands in an airy place, on the N. W. side of the town, and was erected at the cost of Lord Hertford, in the year 1832, when the cholera (that army of disease) was committing such dreadful ravages over the country. On the occasion of this awful visitation, the usual kindness and paternal watchfulness of the Marquis of Hertford, were particularly evinced. His Lordship, without any application on the subject, gave directions that no expence should be spared in adopting every precautionary measure against its attacks-that preventive medicines, blankets, warm clothing, and other necessary articles should be distributed throughout the whole estate, and hospitals built wherever needed, entirely at his sole cost. These directions agreeing so minutely with the philanthropic feelings of Dean Stannus, were largely and extensively acted upon ; and never did his Lordship's bounty arrive so opportunely, or produce happier effects.
THIS handsome edifice is situated on Prospect-hill, a short distance from the town. It has an elegant avenue, and neat porter's lodge. This institution was established in consequence of a bequest from John Hancock, father of the late John Hancock, of Lisburn; the sum being increased by subscriptions from the society, enabled them to erect the present building, on a piece of ground granted them by the liberality of the present Marquis of Hertford's grandfather. John Gough, the great arithmetician, was head master of this school many years. There are at present forty-three children, who are clothed, boarded, and educated.
THIS most excellent and commodious concern, the New Corn-Market, is conveniently situated on the S. W. side of the town, by the Dublin road. It was laid out and built in the year 1826. The Marquis of Hertford very liberally gave £600, the remainder was subscribed by the Manor. In the centre is a large weigh-house, and a spacious area for corn on market days, besides a number of sheds on either side for the sale of potatoes.
THE Shambles were erected in the year 1796, on a rivulet in Smithfield, by the late Marquis of Hertford, but have recently been considerably improved, by the front row of shops being taken down, and a neat palisading fitted up in their stead at his Lordship's expense. This alteration adds materially to their respectable appearance, and was planned by Dean Stannus. The Meat Market usually gives a very excellent supply on Tuesdays and Saturdays.
THE DIAPER AND DAMASK MANUFACTORY.
THAT the Diaper and Damask Manufactory of Lisburn, the property of the Messrs. Coulson, is the most eminent in the world, is universally acknowledged; and now that arts and manufactures have arisen to such a height of excellence, Irishmen in general, and the inhabitants of Lisburn in particular, should be proud to contemplate and exult in the assertion.
The introduction of the Damask manufacture on an extensive scale in this country, was first accomplished by the late W. Coulson, Esq. father of the present highly-respected proprietors, who established it here in 1776. The astonishing beauty of this table-linen, whether we look at the splendor of the designs, elegance of execution, or durability of texture, has spread its fame over the entire of the civilized globe. Never in any country was this elegant branch of the linen business carried on with such spirit, or brought to the same unrivalled perfection. There is one loom in this establishment which has thirty-thousand pullies attached to it. Besides the distinguished honor of having supplied with its produce their late Majesties, His Royal Highness the Duke of York, and most of the crowned heads of Europe,-goods have been finished expressly for the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, his Grace the Duke of Wellington, the Duke of Norfolk, the Marquises of Hertford, Donegall, and Downshire, and all the principal nobility and gentry of the empire. The armorial and other devices of each, whether emblematic of rank or achievements, are, when required, tastefully and minutely drawn in the pattern of the work, so that family traditions can thus be handed down to posterity in a style hitherto unknown and unattempted. Indeed, as founders of a new type for the celebration of particular events in damask folio, the Messrs. Coulson rank among the first artists ; and their being the printers as well as publishers of these individual histories, which their customers have had such handsome editions of, gives increased celebrity to their name. Among the many distinguished foreign personages who have visited this famed establishment, and honored it with their especial approbation, the following may be enumerated :-The Persian Ambassdor, His Imperial Highness the Archduke Michael of Russia, the Crown Prince of Sweden, Duke Montebello, Peer of France, &c.
Many of the nobility of England and Ireland have also paid special visits. Lord John Russel, Lord Ebrington, &c. &c. have been among the recent visitors.
The damask is forwarded to various foreign parts, including France, Russia, America, East and West Indies, &c. as well as to the British markets.
Of the incalculable advantages derived by Lisburn, from the number of individuals which this establishment keeps in constant employment, we cannot speak too highly. It holds out that best stimulus to industry-the certainty of reward ; thus fostering and strengthening the spirit of independence. Many grown-up boys who, perhaps, would otherwise be in idleness, are received as apprentices, and paid for their work ; the weekly sum they thus earn is a considerable relief to their parents.
Upwards of five hundred workmen, residing in and contiguous to Lisburn, are daily employed, in addition to many persons who reside at Newtownards, and the districts immediately adjoining Lisburn, viz. Drumbo, Trooperfield, Blaris, and Sprucefield ; at the latter place the Messrs. Coulson have a bleach-green, for finishing their own manufactures.
The kindness and solicitude evinced by the Messrs. Coulson, for the
welfare and happiness of those in their imploy, are well known. Those
gentlemen are the friends of their workmen, not an individual of whom, with
whose character and general conduct they are not acquainted ; and such as
behave with sobriety, industry, and morality, are suitably rewarded. To
those who have grown old in their service, a free house is granted, and a
small weekly pension allowed. It may be remarked, how very different, and
how much improved would be the condition of the laboring classes, were this
course universally adopted. That proprietors of large establishments, where
a great many individuals are employed, have it within their power to make
their workmen a happy, prosperous, and contented people, or a wretched,
distressed, and turbulent one, is a fact beyond disputation. If due regard
was paid by employers to the moral state and physical comforts of the
employed, much of the penury, ignorance, and disaffection which exists (we.
are grieved to say) so especially among the lower classes of our countrymen,
would be almost totally done away with. One. word more in reference to the
above. It has been so often asserted, tbatit is now proverbial. 'The Irish
are naturally a most idle and lazy
THE LINEN HALL,
WHERE the weekly sales are made, is a large square court, surrounded by a piazza of brick, and most conveniently situated, and continues to be well attended by merchants. It was erected many years ago at the expense of the late Marquis of Hertford. That which particularly contributed to the rise of the town of Lisburn, was the settlement of many French Protestant refugees here, (after the repeal of the edict of Nantz) who had been bred to the Linen Manufacture.* Mr, Lewis Crommelin obtained a patent in 1690, which was afterwards renewed in the reign of Queen Anne, for establishing a manufacture of Linen; and also many other grants, one for £60 per annum for a French minister. In consequence of this he settled in Lisburn, and many of his countrymen also. The virtuous conduct and civilized manners of these good people were of great advantage to the place; and their skill and industry set an example to those who were concerned in the same business, which soon had the effect of raising the quality of their manufacture to a degree, of excellence unknown till then; and the linen and tambrics made in this neighbourhood, and sold in Lisburn market, have, until this day, kept up their superior character. The most eminent Linen Merchants of the County Antrim are established in this town. The Messrs. James Nicholson Richardson and Co. are well known to the commercial world. They have a very extensive concern here, which employs a number of hands. Also Messrs. Jonathan and James Greer Richardson, who carry on the Linen business very extensively; we believe their numerous sales are chiefly confined to the English market, where the character of their cloth, in particular, is much appreciated.
AT the junction of the three main streets stands the market-house, a fine well-proportioned building. This useful edifice, with its handsome cupola and clock, was erected, and is kept in repair, by the Marquis of Hertford, for the accomodation of the inhabitants. It has of late undergone many improvements : a wrought-metal railing and entrance gate now surrounds it, which adds much to its appearance. A gymnasium has recently been fitted up in the lower part of the house, and a lending library (under the care of Miss Magdeline Stewart) has the convenience of one of the apartments.
Over the market-house is a spacious, and elegant assembly-room where a ball was formerly held very fortnight. As the Lisburn ladies have been long proverbial for beauty, what a splendid and fashionable display must have then adorned the room ! Will the days ever come, when the sound of the song and the dance shall make these walls to ring again ! Will the bewitching forms-the soul of symmetry-and the neat foot and ancle, ever again appear in the mazy dance, when the daughters of Lisburn resembled so many sylvan goddesses, ' tripping it along on light fantastic toe!' Oh ! will the heaven's blush at close of day be ever again eclipsed by the virgin blushes, 'mid beauty's brilliant throng ! will the minstrel's magic ever again break forth in floods of glory, and will the soul of music ever again fling its enchantments over the lovely and the loved! Is the day far distant, when the poet and the child of song shall string the lyre with a heart of joy, and ravish the listening ear with the numbers of an Amphion, or the strains of an Orpheus ! W ill the day soon come, when the bards of Erin shall no longer hang their harps on the willow by the banks of the limpid Lagan, or string them in silence, sorrow, and solitude, for crushed genius and neglected merit 1
* It is curious that the names of only three of these refugees are now in existence, viz., De Lacherois, Crommelin, and Goyer. Some of the descendants of the latter person are residing in Lisburn at the present day.
THIS is a suitable building, situate in Castle-street, and is venerable for being erected on the identical site of that place of worship formerly occupied by the French Hugonot Refugees, after the repeal of the edict of Nantz, their minister being the Rev. Saumerez Dubourdieu (Mr. Peter Goyer acting as clerk.) Is has only recently been rebuilt, at the sole cost of the Marquis of Hertford, and is now an excellent court-house. A bench of magistrates, usually consisting of Robert Williamson, James Watson, John M'Cance, Henderson Black, and Edward Johnson, Esqrs. hold a court of petit sessions here every Tuesday, when all actions for wages, &c. cases of assault, trespass, felonies, and other misdemeanors, are heard and decided. Defendants have the privilege of appeal, in some cases, from this court to the general quarter sessions of the county ; in other cases there is no appeal, as appeals front convictions of justice only he when expressly given by the statute. Mr. Francis Hale O'Flaherty acts as register to the justices.
The manor court is also held here every third Wednesday, by the seneschal, William Gregg, Esq. when all actions under the sum of £20 are heard and determined. Appeals from decrees pronounced here, lie to the judges of assize. The cases of attachments are tried as records, in the same manner as at the assizes. The following are practitioners in this court : Messrs. Pennington, O'Flaherty, and Magee, Mr. Wm. Dillon, Jr. Regr. The appointment of seneschal is vested in the Marquis of Hertford. On the resignation (from ill health) of our late respected Seneschal, the Rev. Snowden Cupples, D. D., the Manor presented him with an elegant piece of plate, value 50 guineas, as a small testimony of their esteem and gratitude for his uniform attention to his arduous duties, during a period of twenty-two years.
The consistorial court of Down and Connor is held here every second Monday. It takes cognizance of all actions for slander, legacies, divorces, accounts of executors and administrators, tithes, &c. The judges are, the Worshipful Snowden Cupples, D, D. the Vicar-General, the Worshipful Edward Cupples, L. L. B. Surrogate. Henry J. Higginson, Esq. A. M. is D. Register. The proctors practicing in this court are, Messrs. Dillon, Stephenson, Pennington, and Magee. The grand jury for the manor of Killultagh assemble here twice a year, being summoned by the seneschal, and hold a court leet. They present sums for repairs of bye-roads, hedges, &c., make regulations for the town, and order nuisances to be abated and removed. Their money presentments, when confirmed by the Seneschal, are levied off the manor, with the county cess. Their Secretary is Mr. Francis H. O'Flaherty. Treasurer, William Whitla, Esq.
This house also accommodates a dissenting branch of the Wesleyan Methodists, as a place for worship on Sundays; the voices of praise and thanksgiving on these occasions forming a curious contrast to the boisterous pleading of the proctors on the Wednesday following.
And here also the Lisburn Debating Society (which, by the bye, has died a natural death) formerly held their literary loquacious meetings, when the eloquence of a Cicero or a Demosthenes echoed within its walls. Truly, Monsieur Courthouse, you are accommodating to a French degree. You have religion for your sister, and law for your brother! Farewell to the sanctified spot where both the law and the gospel are administered!!!
THE Post-Office is kept by Mr. Samuel Gamble, at his residence (an excellent house) in Castle-street, the most convenient part of the town for a public office ; and it is no more than justice to say, that the most admirable regularity, care, and attention have always characterized the proceedings and management of this department, during the long period the present postmaster has held the situation.
As a productive system of finance, and a public convenience of the highest utility, the Post-Office, in its present improved state, must be considered as one of the most interesting establishments in any country. In civilized nations, even amongst the ancients, it appears that the interests and feelings of mankind very early pointed out the necessity of some regular mode of communication between distant places. After the fall of the Roman Empire, however, no posts seem to have existed in Europe until about 1475, when Louis XI. established them for the conveyance of state information throughout France. In England, letters were conveyed by special messengers, until a system of postage was established in the reign of Elizabeth, which was conducted by individuals for their own profit. Things continued in this state until 1643, when Charles I. ordered his postmaster for foreign parts to run a post between London and Edinburgh; and similar regulations were soon after made for Ireland, by Chester and Holyhead. The system was much improved during the protectorate of Cromwell, when regular packet-boats were established between Chester and Dublin, and Milford and Waterford. The rates of postage at that time were, for every single letter within eighty miles of London, two-pence; beyond that distance, to any part of England, three-pence; to Scotland, four-pence ; and to Ireland, six-pence.* In 1711, a postmaster-general was appointed for all the British dominions; but in 1782, when the independence of Ireland was acknowledged, its post-office became a separate establishment, and continues to be so, notwithstanding the Union. The introduction of mailcoaches has not only greatly improved the system of the postoffice, but has been attended with the greatest advantage to the general interests of Ireland. Previous to their introduction, the state of the roads was such, that it commonly took five or six days to perform a journey from Dublin to Lisburn; and it is said that persons in those days deemed it a matter of more serious importance to undertake a long journey through Ireland, than many do at present to undertake a voyage to America. The first mail-coaches commenced running from Dublin to Belfast and Cork, on the 5th of July, 1790. A regular improvement in the state of the roads has continued from that to the present, and they are now allowed to be among the best in Europe.
*In about 1796, the postage from Dublin to Belfast or Lisburn was five-pence ; if the present high rate of nine-pence was reduced to that standard, the revenue would not lose a farthing, because a much more numerous correspondence would take place among all classes.
THE CASTLE GARDEN.
THE favourite place of recreation for the inhabitants (especially the ladies) is the castle garden. It is a large pleasure ground on the one side of Castle-street, and formerly belonged to Earl Conway's noble castle, which was burned in 1707.
There is an excellent terrace, affording a most agreeable promenade, and
commanding a very beautiful landscape view. These grounds have been
elegantly laid off, with walks, shrubberies, &c. and are always kept in the
best order.. The fine lofty plantations (beautifully foliaged in almost all
seasons) along the sides of the centre grand walk, give a majesty and
sweetness to the whole. We may call this delightful spot the Mountjoy-square
of Lisburn Dean Stannus has here made many excellent as well as tasteful
improvements. Formerly a blank ugly wall inclosed it from Castle-street,
over which some huge trees projected, and darkened the street so much at
noon-day, that one was reminded of "the valley of the
'Days of my youth ! when every thing was innocence and peace-when my
sorrows were light, and my joys unsophisticated-when I saw a glory in the
sky, and a power on the earth, which I shall never see again,-how
delightful, yet how sad is your recollection ! Here's then to the days gone
THE County of Antrim Infirmary is a fine spacious brick edifice, having
twenty-four windows in front, and is situated in an airy part of the town.
This institution was established at Lisburn in the year 1767, pursuant to
act of Parliament. Its object is to provide medicines, or medical or
surgical aid, for the poor of the county, both male and female. This is
effected in two ways, either by dispensing medicine or advice, or both, to
extern patients ; or by receiving them into the house, when the case
requires the immediate care and superintendence of the surgeon. The number
of extern patients annually relieved, amounts, on an average, to 850 with
medicine, and 400 with advice; and the interns to 290. The house
The sum expended for this Institution in the year 1833 exceeded £500-that received toward its support, including the Marquis of Hertford's annual subscription of £46 3s. 1d. and Mrs. Whitla's subscription of £21, as governess for life, amounted to £180 19s. 9d.
The duties of the surgeon are skilfully and attentively discharged by William Stewart, Esq. M. D. aided by William Thompson, Jun. Esq. M. D. whose professional abilities and humanity eminently distinguished them.
On the N. E. side of the town stands the Female School, a very handsome, commodious edifice, with four arched windows in front. The avenue (to which you enter by a neat metal gate) is tastefully laid off in a garden-like manner. Attached to the School is a dwelling-house for the use and occupation of the mistress. This excellent institution, for the education of poor female children, was established by Miss Hawkshaw, who is patroness, in the year 1821; the Marquis of Hertford having granted the ground, and paid the cost of building, &c., estimated at £400. The number of children in attendance exceeds two hundred. We must not forget mentioning the benevolent legacy of £100 for the use of this school, bequeathed by the late George Whitla, Esq., of Lisburn. This sum is placed out at interest, which goes to clothe some of the most needy of the children.
THE INFANT SCHOOL.
THIS is a neat building, standing a few paces from the one just noticed. It was built by subscription in 1833, aided by a donation of £50 from Lord Hertford. The Rev. Thomas Thompson was one of its most active founders ; and in the welfare of this, as well as the Boys' School, uniformly takes the most lively interest. This Institution is for the education of poor children, whose age does not exceed seven years, and is supported by the ladies of Lisburn.
FREE HOUSES FOR DESTITUTE WIDOWS.
THESE handsome houses opposite the school just noticed, were built, at the expense of the Marquis of Hertford, in 1832; the cost exceeded £120.
CHARITABLE SOCIETY FOR PROMOTING INDUSTRY.
THIS excellent institution was formed about fifteen years since, by the late Rev. Thomas Higginson, the then Curate of Lisburn, under the denomination of the Lisburn Philanthropic Society-subsequent to that period, its benevolent labors have been crowned with the most important effects. About twelve months since, a change took place in the course previously pursued by the Society, and it was deemed advisable, that the system of giving aid by money should be abandoned, and a new plan adopted, viz., the distribution of the funds in rations of meal, coals, &c., and the employment of the funds, as far as practicable, for the promotion of industry. The plan has been acted upon with success. The subscriptions for this Society, including Lord Hertford's very munificent annual donation of £92 0s. 2d., with the interest of Rev. John Carleton's,* and Messrs. Herron and Shanks's legacies, also £20 yearly from William Whitla, Esq., amount to nearly £500 per annum.
HERTFORD ARMS HOTEL AND POSTING ESTABLISHMENT.
THIS is a suitable and commodious building, standing in a central part of the town, (opposite the market-house.) Every accommodation desirable to the traveller is afforded by this establishment, which is on an extensive scale. The public spirited proprietor is Mr. John Crossley, who has recently made many excellent improvements about the concern, and been at considerable expense in the posting department.
*In 1818, the late Rev. John Carleton bequeathed a sum of £2000 in trust, to distribute the interest thereof annually among the poor householders in the parish of Lisburn, who were not considered as common beggars.
Since Mr. Crossley's entrance into business, he has always evinced the liveliest desire and attention towards the accommodation of the public, and has spared no expence to make this concern worthy that respectable patronage which it has so long obtained. The Killulta Hunt dine together here three times during the season. A four-horse coach leaves this Inn for Belfast every morning at ten o'clock, a. m. and returns at six same evening.
On Sundays, a coach starts at eight o'clock, a. m. returns at eleven, a. m. starts again at five, p. m. and comes home at eight, p. m. The fare from Lisburn to Belfast by these, and all other conveyances in town, is only sixpence, which for the distance (nearly seven miles) is certainly not immoderate.
KING'S ARMS HOTEL AND POSTING ESTABLISHMENT.
THIS concern has been established nearly a century, and is the oldest in Lisburn. It is on an extensive scale, and always remarkable for affording the best of fare to the traveller. That respectable character, for accommodation and utility, which so long secured this establishment public patronage, has been still maintained by its present public-spirited proprietor, Mr. George Moore, for nearly thirty years, whose courtesy and attention has uniformly acquired him the esteem of all those with whom he has had any dealings. Mr. Moore has recently made considerable additions and improvements about the concern.
Two four-horse coaches leave this Inn for Belfast, one at nine and the other at ten o'clock every morning of week days, returning at five and six, p. m. and on Sundays a coach starts at eight, and returns at eleven, a. m. starts again at five, and returns at eight, p. m.
There are several minor Inns in Lisburn which afford as good accommodation as any of the kind in Ireland. The proprietors are always obliging, and, generally speaking, quite INN-dependent men. Jaunting-cars, and other conveyances, start every morning from Lisburn to Belfast, from Mr. Lawson's, Mr. Boomer's, Mr. Mooney's, and Mr. Savage's, so that one can seldom be at a loss for a conveyance, and at a most trifling expence. Much of this accommodation is owing to the enterprising spirit of the late Mr. John M'Coy, who first tried the experiment (some twenty years ago) whether any public carriage could exist without the advantage of conveying the mail, and in opposition to it; he plainly proved it could be done; but being killed by a fall from his own coach, be left others to reap the advantage of his attempt; and no man in his station was ever more and deservedly lamented.
POOR WIDOWS' FREE HOUSES.
THE late Mr. James Williamson was the benevolent founder of those beautiful little dwelling-houses, a short distance from town, on the new Belfast road. They were erected in 1820, by a legacy of £100 bequeathed by that individual. The ground was given by Lord Hertford, with a donation of £40.
HILLDEN is very pleasantly situated in the vicinity of Lisburn, and is the seat of a Thread Manufactory, the property of Mr. William Barbour. It was established by his father, the late Mr. J-- Barbour, a native of Scotland, who had the merit of founding this branch of trade on the Hertford estate. Hitherto, to the great discredit of our country, Ireland has been a depot for Scotch thread; but in consequence of the spirited example set by Mr. Barbour, we are no longer dependent on a foreign market for a supply of this useful article. Here upwards of two hundred thousand hanks of native yarn are spun annually into threads of all classes. Upwards of three hundred persons are employed at this concern in preparing, coloring, dying, bleaching, and making threads. There is also a manufactory of reticules. Whether, therefore, we regard this factory in its relation to the trade of Ireland, or as an establishment conducing to the improvement and prosperity of the Hertford estate, in either of these relations it has a just claim to public notice.
The dwelling-house here is a very fine structure, and which, with the bleach-green, form a very picturesque feature in the surrounding beautiful landscape. Mr. Barbour has recently built several houses in this neighbourhood for the use of his workers.
LISBURN FLOUR MILLS.
THIS is a very extensive concern, the property of Mr. Samuel Kennedy of Lisburn, and remarkable for the excellent quality of the flour which it produces. Mr. K. has expended many hundred pounds on this property in various repairs and improvements, although he has no lease; but the characteristic conduct of Lord Hertford in all such cases, fully justifies the confidence reposed in the honor and justice of his family.
PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION BAKERY.
A PUBLIC BAKERY was established in 1832, by the gentry of the town, for the purpose of preventing monopoly, and supplying the inhabitants with bread, superior in quality and quantity than was hitherto supplied. This establishment bakes, on an average, twenty bags of flour in 'a week. The fitting up of this concern cost upwards of £180.
ON an island formed by the canal and river Lagan, in the immediate vicinity of the town, there is an extensive Vitriol Manufactory, the property of the Messrs. Boyd. A lofty brick chimney overtops the works, carrying off any noxious gases. The dwelling house is a neat structure. It is surrounded by wall in the castellated style; and from the county Antrim side of the river, has somewhat the appearance of a fortress.
THIS handsome seat is situate to the eastward of Lisburn, immediately
adjoining the town ; in its neighbourhood is the ancient burying-ground of
Kilrush, on the banks of the Lagan. It is the residence of Mrs. Casement, to
whom it belongs. The dwelling-house is large and commodious, and all around
it characteristic of taste and neatness. The grounds are well laid out, and
are kept in good order. Within the last few years, considerable improvements
have been made. The flower-garden has very justly gained universal
admiration, and reflects credit on the refined taste of the owner. A
picturesque view of the town and river in the distance, is obtained from the
road leading to this villa. Although the bounds are very circumscribed, it
is said to be the largest holding in perpetuity on Lord Hertford's estate.
THIS Hunt, which is at present in a very prosperous state, was established in 1832, the Marquis of Hertford having, in the kindest manner, given to the members the privilege of hunting over some of the best ground in the north of Ireland, on his Lordship's estates in Antrim and Down. At a meeting held at the Hertford Arms, Lisburn, on the 28th February, 1832, the following gentlemen being present :-Mr. Gregg, Mr. Whitla, Mr. Birney, Mr. Murray, Mr. C. Boyd, Mr. J. Boyd, it was unanimously resolved, That a Hunt be established at Lisburn, denominated, ' The Killulta Hunt,' to be maintained by an annual subscription of the members.
The members meet on the first Tuesday in each month, at one o'clock, at the Hertford Arms Hotel, Lisburn, to appoint the places of meeting for the hounds during the month, and to transact the general business of the Hunt. The places of meeting of the hounds are named by each hunting member in succession.
The hounds hunt two days in the week, viz. Wednesday and Saturday.
On the north side of the town, an excellent kennel has been erected, having a stream of water running through the yards. The huntsman, besides a liberal salary, is also accommodated with a comfortable dwelling-house, garden, and stable connected with the kennel. We believe the erection of these premises cost £250.