Borough Supplement Saturday, 27 June, 1964
A school was kept by Mrs. Sweeney in the year 1812 at a house in Chapel
Hill. Francis McNamara was a pupil there, he emigrated to Barbados and
rose to wealth and eminence as a sugar planter.
New Street Names
It was resolved in 1860 that the street or trackway along the canal, from
the bridge to the corner opposite the Island, be named Hancock Street and
from thence to the Inland-gate be Canal Street.
Echo That Was
A very remarkable echo existed in Lisburn in the year 1778. It is supposed
that by the various- alterations that have been made in the town the echo
has now been lost.
Cost of Canal
The construction of the Lagan Canal between Belfast and Lough Neagh was
commenced in 1754. It was completed to Blaris in 1768 at a cost of
(including the Union Locks) of some £60,000.
The work was finally extended to Lough Neagh and opened in 1794 at a
further cost of over £60,000.
Bigger Than Belfast
In the year 1690 Lisburn consisted of about 400 houses and a population of
2,000. Belfast, at the same time, possessed 300 houses and a population of
On August 6, 1856, the town's night-watchmen were reduced from
five to four.
THE BATTLE OF LISNEGARVEY
They rendezvoused at Brook-hill House
"A brief Relation of the miraculous Victory gained there that day
over the first formed Army of the Irish; soon after their Rebellion,
which broke out the 23rd of October, 1641
"Sir Phelemy O'Neille, and Sir Conn Maginnis, their General then in
Ulster, and Major-General Plunket (who has been a soldier in foreign
kingdoms), having enlisted and drawn together, out of the counties
of Armagh, Tyrone, Antrim and Downe, and other counties in Ulster,
eight or nine thousand men, which were formed into eight regiments,
and a troop of horse, with two field-pieces"
They did rendezvous on the 27th of November, at and about a house
belonging to Sir John Rawdon, at Brook-Hill, three miles distant
from Lisnegarvey, in which they knew there was a garrison of five
companies newly raised, and the Lord Conway's troop of horse. And
their principal design being to march unto, and besiege
Carrickfergus, they judged it unsafe to pass by Lisnegarvey, and
therefore resolved to attack it next morning, making little account
of the opposition that could be given them by so small a number, not
half armed, and so slenderly provided of ammunition (which they had
perfect intelligence of by several Irish, that left our party and
stole away to them,) for that they were so numerous, and well
provided of ammunition by the fifty barrels of powder they found in
his Majesty's store in the castle of Newry, which they surprised the
very first night of the rebellion; also, they Had got into their
hands the arms of all the soldiers they had murdered in Ulster, and
such other arms as they found in the castles and houses, which they
had plundered and burned, in the whole province. Yet is so pleased
God to disappoint their confidence; and the small garrison they so
much slighted, was much encouraged by the seasonable arrival of Sir
George Rawdon, who, being in London on the 23rd of October, hasted
over by the way of Scotland, and, being landed at Bangor, and got to
Lisnegarvey, though late on the 27th of November, where those
new-raised men, and the Lord Conway's troop, were drawn up in the market-place, expecting hourly to
be assaulted by the rebels, and thus stood in that posture all the
night; and before sun-rise sent out some horse to discover their
numerous enemy, who were at mass (it being Sunday); but, immediately
upon sight of our scouts, they quitted their devotion, and beat
drums, and marched directly to Lisnegarvey, and before ten of the
clock, appeared drawn up in battalia, in the warren, not above a
musket-shot from the town, and sent out two divisions, of about six
or seven hundred a-piece, to compass the town, and plant their
field-pieces on the high-way to to, before their body, and with them
and their long fowling-pieces killed and wounded some of our men, as
they stood in their ranks in, the market place; and some of our
musketeers were placed in endeavouring to make the like returns of
shot to the enemy. And Sir Arthur Terringham (governor of Newry),
who commanded the garrison, and Sir George Rawdon, and the officers,
foreseeing, if their two divisions on both sides of the town should
fall in together, that they would overpower our small number. For
prevention thereof, a squadron of horse, with some musketeers, was
commanded to face one of them, that was marching on the north side;
and to keep them at a distance as long as they could; which was so
well performed, that the other division, which marched by the river
on the south side, came in before the other, time enough to be well
beaten back by the horse, and more than 200 slain of them in
Bridge-street, and in their retreat, as they fled back to the main body.
After which expedition, the horse,
returning to the market-place, found the enemy had forced in our
small party on the north side, and had entered the town, and was
marching down Castle-street, which our horse so well charged there,
that at least 300 were slain of the rebels in the street, and in the
meadows behind the houses, through which they did run away. to their
main body; whereby they were so much discouraged, that, in almost
two hours after, their officers could not get out any more parties
to adventure a second assault upon us; but, in the main space, they
entertained us with continued shot from their main body, and their
field-pieces, till about one of the clock, that fresh parties were
issued out, and beaten back as before, with the loss of many of
their men, which they supplied with others till night; and in the
dark they fired all the town, which was in a few hours turned into
ashes; and in that confusion, and heat of the fire, the enemy made a
fierce assault. But it so pleased God, that we were better provided
for them than they expected, by the relief, that came to us at
night-fall, from Belfast, of the Earl of Donegall's troop, and a
company of foot, commanded by Captain Boyd, who was unhappily slain
presently after his first entrance into the town. And, after the
houses were on fire, about six of the clock till about ten or
eleven, it is not easy to give any certain account or relation of
the several encounters in divers places of the town, between small
parties of our horse and those of the enemy, whom they charged as
they advanced, and hewed them down, so that every corner was filled
with carcases, and the slain were found to be more than thrice the
number of those that fought against them, as appeared next day, when
the constables and inhabitants, employed to bury them, gave up their
accounts. About tenor eleven o'clock their two generals quitted
their station, and marched away in the dark, and had not above 200
of their men with them, as we were informed next morning by several
English prisoners that escaped from them, who told us, that the rest
of their men were either run away before them, or slain; and that
their field-pieces were thrown into the river, or in some moss pit,
which we could never find after; and in this their retreat, or
rather their flight, they fired Brookhill house, and the Lord
Conway's library in it, and other goods, to the value of five or six
thousand pounds, their fear and haste not at all allowing them to
carry any thing away, except some- plate and some linen; and this
they did in revenge to the owner, whom they heard was landed the day
before, and had been active in the service against them, and was
shot that day, and also had his horse shot under him, but mounted
presently upon another; and Captain St. John and Captain Burley were
also wounded, and about 30 men more of our party, most of whom
recovered, and not above 25 or 26 more slain. And if it be well
considered, how meanly our men were armed, and all our ammunition
spent before night, and that if we had not been supplied with men,
by the timely care and providence of the Earl of Donegall and other
commanders, from his Majesty's store of Carrickfergus (who sent us
powder post in mails on horseback, one after another) and that most
of our new raised companies were of poor script men that had made
their escape from the rebels, of whom they had such a dread, that
they thought them not easily to be beaten, and that all our horse
(that did the most execution) were not above 120, viz., the Lord
Conway's troop, and a squadron of the Lord Grandison's troop (the
rest of them having been murdered in their quarters in Tandragee)
and about 40 of a country troop and company from Belfast came to us
at night. It must be confessed, that the Lord of Hosts did signally
appear for us, who can save with or without any means, and did by
very small means give us the victory over his and our enemies, and
enough of their arms to supply the defects of our new companies, and
about 50 of their colours and drums.
But it is to be remembered with regret, that this loss and
overthrow did so enrage the rebels, that for several days and weeks
after they murdered many hundreds of the Protestants, whom they had
kept prisoners in the counties of Armagh and Tyrone, and other parts
of Ulster, and tormented them by several manners of death. And it is
a circumstance very observable, that much snow had fallen in the
week before this action, and on the day before, it was a little
thaw, and a frost thereupon it in the night, so that the streets
were covered with ice, which proved greatly to our advantage; for
that all the smiths had been employed that whole night to frost our
horses, so that they stood firm, while the brogues slipt and
fell down to our feet. For which, and our miraculous deliverance
from a cruel and bloody army, how great cause have we to rejoice,
and praise the name of our God, and say with that kingly prophet,
`If it had not been the Lord himself who was on our side, when men
rose up against us, they had swallowed us up quick, when they were
so wrothfully displeased at us. Yea, the waters of the deep had
drowned us, and the stream had gone over our soul; but, praised be
the Lord, who has not given us over a prey unto their teeth; our
soul is escaped, even as a bird out of the snare of the fowler; the
snare is broken, and we are safe. Our hope standeth in the name of ,
the Lord, who made heaven and earth.' Amen!"
FROM the earliest days of Lisburn there were many men who gained
local fame, and some who secured fame and fortune in other lands.
In a book "Some recollections of Hugh McCall", published for private
circulation in 1899 just two years after his death, John Hancock,
son of the philanthrophist, who in 1760 erected the Quaker School is
recalled. An extensive linen merchant Mr. Hancock, in the famine
year of 1800, when the price of wheat was 130/- the quarter and the
retail price of oatmeal was 10/- the sieve of 20 lbs., imported from
Philadelphia 200 tons of Indian meal-the first sample of that
article ever seen in Ulster.
He also brought over 500 barrels of American flour, and both were
sold at cost price to the more distressed families of Lisburn.
Among the Ulstermen who did much to build up the progress and add
to the prosperity of Canada, the members of the Workman family must
take a high place.
Benjamin Workman taught school in Lisburn. He sailed for Montreal
in 1820 and in time became the proprietor of the Gazette, published
in that city. The next eldest, Alxendar Workman, became mayor of
Montreal, another brother William was a leading banker in the same
city and a fourth, Thomas sat in the Dominion Parliament for many
Sir James Macauley Higginson who resided at Brookhill
distinguished himself in the Army. Secretary to Lord Metcalfe, a
Governor of Canada, he was afterwards appointed as Governor of the
West Indian colony and later of Mauritius.
In the educational world Lisburn has had its famous men, and one
of the most prominent was Mr. Benjamin Neely. Among his pupils were
Thomas Spence, A. T.
Stewart, Brigadier-General Nicholson, Sergeant Armstrong, Major
Crossley, Colonel Garrett, Surgeon-General James Graham and Colonel
91 VOTERS IN 1833
A map dated 1833 shows Lisburn was then comprised of parts of
Glenmore, Knockmore and Largymore, and all of Lisnagarvey, Tonagh
and Old Warren. The number of voters registered that year was 91.
Population of Lisburn in 1831, exclusive of that part lying in
County Down was-males 2,427, females 2,711. Houses inhabited in that
year were 804, uninhabited 49 and being built 10. Families employed
in agriculture 129, in trade 575, and not in these two classes 471.
It is difficult to visualise what living in Lisburn would have been like
over 100 years ago, but these reminiscences of Lisburn in 1853 recalled by
Mrs. George Wilson (nee Geary) in 1900 vividly portray the conditions and
the characters of that era.
Mrs. Wilson recalled that nearly everyone lived over their shops in those
days. The street she knew best was Bridge Street, with the old worn bridge
over the Lagan, and at the foot of it two great holes which a child could
easily creep through.
"The green fields came close to Mercer Street with Mrs. Mussen's public
house at the corner", she wrote, "the Sloan's rdw of weavers' houses
adjoined and Magee's weaving factory. Then there was the bridge with
Watson's Inn and Miller's coal yard, and Brownlee's mill at the other
side. On the Ballynahinch Road there was only one dwelling with an
orchard. The owner's name was Brady, but afterwards the Rev. Mr. Powell
lived in it and kept a select Boys' School".
Chief trade in 1853 was muslin weaving, with tambouring and flowering done
by the women. Muslin agents lived in every street in the town, and Bridge
End Hill (now called Gregg Street) was full of weavers-the Crosseys,
Slavins, Crockards, D'ermins, Denvers etc. Eggs were cheap and plentiful
at fourpence a dozen, and oysters could be had for 1/9 a quarter, which
counted the shells. These were laid outside the door to let the neighbours
know how many were eaten for supper.
Space does not permit the full recollections of Mrs. Wilson but she told
of the great number of public houses in Bridge Street and the big trade
they did on market and fair days. Old Sam Johnston, the white-smith, lived
beside the gas works and there was also big Jemmy Lauderdale, a tinker, "a
terror at election times".
Looking at the Cross Row of those days Mrs. Wilson mentioned the first
house was Sands' bacon shop "where they used to set their chimney on fire
every week boiling pigs' feet". There were family grocers, a cloth and
drapery shop and a delf shop just before the large gate to the 'Cathedral,
with Phillips' Railway Tavern on the other side, and at the corner of
Castle Street was Mrs. Johnstone's millinery and drapery shop.
The old-fashioned barber's shop of Mr. Richard Murray was next in Castle
Street, and it was here the residents heard all the news. Newspapers were
fourpence each at that time and a great number of Lisburn men were
fighting in the Crimea. In the evening Mr. Murray sat on his window sill
and read the latest war news to a circle of listeners. At this time old
blind John Reid, the Lisburn bellman used to charge a penny an hour for
the loan of a paper. He wore a coat with a crimson collar and was a most
A few doors further on was a subscription bakery, and then a large
tenement house let out in rooms. Mr. Thompson's school for boys was two
doors above the small gate of the Cathedral, then there was McCloy the
painter and the Rev. Dr. Cupples-"a stout gentleman who went about chewing
figs all the time". The Rev. Mr. and Mrs. Fitzgerald lived next to the
Castle Gardens but this house is now gone. Mr. John Birney, one of the
town's leading lawyers, occupied a house which is now part of the Convent.
A Dr. Cupples lived in No. 44, with Mrs. Nicholson, mother of the Indian
campaign hero, next door. There followed a few small houses and then there
was Miss Hunter's school for young ladies.
After briefly mentioning the Low Road which had only a few small houses,
Mrs. Wilson recalls the other side of Castle Street with its large houses
and influential residents. The difference in the postal service then is
worth recording. One man, Hugh Conn delivered all the letters once or
twice a day and at the same time attended to his business in the damask
Turning the corner into Railway Street, the passerby in 1853 could not
have failed to be impressed by the shop of Dr. Musgrave. It had two big
windows with black glass in the lower half and coloured bottles above.
Next was John Kelly's carpenter's yard and then a Methodist Church at No.
10. The Orange Hall now stands in what was Mr. Hugh Kelly's garden. Only
one good housee was built beyond the railway station and that was Mr. John
Pennington's. Where the North Circular Road is, was a railway bank, and a
lane led from Dean's Walk to the Antrim Road. With the exception of two
little cottages, there was not a house between the Belfast Road and the
Dog Kennel on the Antrim Road, and the Pond in the Park was the sole town
"Bachelor's Walk had only one building on it", Mrs. Wilson wrote, "and
that was the old tower, with a garden door opening into it. The tower was
used as a tool house The walk was dark and lonely, bordered with two rows
of trees, and a river ran alongside. There were few who cared to walk
there after dark".
Hotel was lively place
Armstrong's Hotel was at the corner of Railway Street and three or four
whitewashed houses were on the ground now occupied by the Presbyterian
Church and the old Post Office. Wardsborough St. held the fountain where
all the people out of the entries and small houses had to send for water.
Between hard frosts and dry summers there were frequent water famines, and
then cans of water had to be bought from carriers who brought it from the
"Fairy Well" and the "Boiling Well"
THIS photograph was taken in 1914 just before the local
contingent of Royal Irish Rifles (Ulster Division) left
Lisburn for France.
Honours won by
Lisburn Servicemen in the 1914-18 war were:—V.C. (one),
C.M.G. (one), D.S.O. and bar (one), D.S.O (eight). M.C.
and two bars (one), M.C. and bar (three), M.C. (27).
D.F.C. (one), O.B.E. (one). M.B.E. (one), D.C.M. (13).
M.M. and bar (six), M.M. (33). M.S.M. (three), mentions
(68) and foreign decorations (six).
Milk carts with their bright cans were only a new institution in 1853, and
many of the town shopkeepers kept their own cows. They sold the milk but
customers had to send for it. Paraffin oil was almost unknown, and very
few had lamps. Mound and wax candles were burned, unless where there was
gas, and common "dips" were generally used in the kitchens.
Continuing up Railway Street there was Mrs. Handcock's sewing school, the
Friends' Meeting House and at the upper corner the "Hertford Arms" kept by
Mr. and Mrs. Lennon. There was lots of posting in those days and the hotel
was a lively place.
Mrs. Wilson, in her reminiscences, remembered people in Market Square best
of all, as they all kept shops.
"Mr. John McIntyre, a clever little man full of fun, had his cabinet
maker's shop next to the "Hertford Arms", and Miss McIntyre, his sister-a
well-known draper-lived next to him. She had a very nice shop and kept
everything of the very best quality. Mr. Hugh Seeds had his office and
dwelling house next door and Adam McClure his bakery and spirit store
"The best known establishment in the town came next", continued Mrs.
Wilson, "that was Miss Eliza Chapman's book and toy shop. The shop did
duty with the young people as a newsroom or club, and Miss Chapman knew
everyone and everyone knew her. Next door was Mr. Thomas Mussen's spirit
store called "The Pillars", then two chandlers' shops, and John Miller's
bakery and dwelling house".
Unfortunately Mrs. Wilson's reminiscences concluded at this point, but
they certainly provide a very descriptive insight into the past, one which
should make present day residents of Lisburn even more appreciative of the
town's development in the last century.
of the section of motorway between the Saintfield Road and Sprucefield at
the end of 1963 brought the first measure of relief to Lisburn's chronic
traffic problem by enabling traffic between Belfast and the South to
bypass the town altogether. Traffic counts show that the volume of traffic
entering and leaving the town has diminished by approximately 2,200
vehicles per day on the Saintfield Road and by approximately 500 vehicles
per day on the Belfast Road.
These reductions are not perhaps very great, but for much of the day
they do make the difference between relatively free flow and frequent
hold-ups. It is a matter of great satisfaction that work on further
sections of the motorway, to Moira and Lurgan, is actively progressing,
and about the end of 1965 these sections should be open, bringing a
substantial further degree of relief to the town.
Mr. Anthony Webb, Borough Surveyor,
takes a professional look at modern, Lisburn and believes that if
the current trend is followed the new borough will present an
altogether brighter, gayer and more prosperous appearance in the
I use the phrase "for much of the day" advisedly, for it is to be
anticipated that although the motorway diverts much of the long distance
commercial traffic which is spread out fairly uniformly throughout the
day, it will have much less effect on the peak hour flows, which we now
describe by the American term "commuter traffic." This is very largely of
local or near-by origin and will have to pass through the town to get to
or from the motorway. Indeed it is only reasonable to expect that with the
rapid growth in the number of private cars the problem of peak hour
congestion will get steadily or even rapidly worse.
An aerial view of Lisburn which
shows the Borough's central layout which has changed very
little during the past century.
Lisburn's traditional industry
was linen and this photograph shows two operators at work in
Thread from The Linen Thread
Co.. Hilden, is sent all over the world.
INNER RING ROAD?
A particularly warm welcome should therefore be given to the proposal for
an inner ring road. This was recently placed before the Council by Mr. R.
H. Bell, the borough planning consultant, after an intensive study of
Lisburn's traffic problem by one of his staff who has had consider able
experience on the other side of the Atlantic. This bold and imaginative
scheme has all the hallmarks of practicability, and it is to be hoped that
the new borough council will make its realisation one of their
It will of course, cost a great deal of money, but as it will be
essentially a road construction scheme for the relief of traffic
congestion, it does appear that a good case can be argued for substantial
assistance from the Road Fund. Even the making of detailed surveys and the
preparation of designs will involve heavy expenditure on the services of
consulting engineers and will consume a considerable amount of time. The
public has all too little realisation of the vast amount of technical work
which has to be done between the formulation of draft proposals
illustrated by a thumb-nail sketch, and the actual commencement of
Work has been progressing steadily for a number of years on the
widening and improvement wherever necessary of the existing road system
and this programme seems likely to continue for a good many more years to
meet the ever-growing demands of traffic. It is not long since the
Ballynahinch Road was widened and realigned, in part by the Ministry in
connection with the construction of the motorway and in part by the local
council. A badly needed scheme for the improvement of the Antrim Road is
in an advanced stage of preparation and other similar projects are in the
Coming back from major projects to minor, the construction during the
winter as an unemployment relief scheme, of a new bus stopping place in
Smithfield should materially reduce congestion in Castle Street and
together with the opening of the new Post Office, and the general improve
ment of shopping premises, gives something of a face-lift to the
NEW SWIMMING BATH
Not far away is the site of the proposed public swimming bath. This scheme
provides for a pool of I10 feet length by 42 feet in width with diving
stages up to five metres in height and facilities for the instruction, of
learners, with all necessary plant for heating and purification of the
water, dressing and clothes-storage accommodation for both sexes as well
as for handling classes from local schools. The building will be of
reinforced concrete construction and a notable addition to the
architecture of the town.
The rapid rate of recent growth in Lisburn is well illustrated by the
statistics of plans submitted to the Urban Council for its approval. In
the first 50 years from the establishment of the urban district in 1899 to
1949 the number of plans submitted to the council was 1,700, in the next
15 years from 1949 to the present day the number submitted was 1,800. In
suite a number of cases too the modern planners have represented schemes
both public and private, for the erection of estates comprising
considerable and sometimes very large numbers of houses.
During the past twelve months the council has completed its Manor Park
estate providing some 150 dwellings, while a few months earlier the
Housing Trust had completed the Roseville estate of similar size. The
Trust is now actively engaged on the construction of its Knockmore estate
on the north side of the Moira Road where 640 houses are being completed
at a very rapid rate, while preliminary work is progressing on the
preparation of the Old Warren estate on the south side of the Moira Road.
The detailed layout of this has not yet been completed, but from all
appearances the project will be at least 50 per cent, bigger than the
The council for its part expects at an early date to see work commenced
on the Hill Street site where some 200 dwellings are to be provided, and
the town's first slum clearance and redevelopment scheme is being prepared
to deal with an area of old property on the south side of Longstone
POPULATION SOON 20,000
The 1961 census gave the town a population of 17,691 compared with 14,781
ten years earlier. If the 20,000 mark has not yet been reached it is safe
to forecast that it very soon will be and the population inside ten years
may well exceed 25 or even maybe 30 thousand.
In the industrial field, too, the outlook is encouraging.
While Lisburn is historically a "linen town," "and that industry has
suffered a contraction in scale over the past few decades, several of the
factories which formerly specialised on the spinning or weaving of linen
have shown considerable enterprise in branching out into other lines and
are now busily engaged in the manufacture of synthetic textiles.
Furniture manufacture is another busy industry and recently two large
factories have been erected on the Ballinderry Road and occupied by
subsidiaries of American companies engaged in the light engineering
industry. The Ministry of Commerce proposes to develop for industrial
purposes a site on the Hillsborough Old Road, which while outside the
actual boundaries of the borough, will undoubtedly contribute its quota to
the prosperity of Lisburn.
Other industrial units on the perimeter of the town but not actually
inside it, include Bibby's big animal feed mills at Knockmore the adjacent
structural steel and sheet metal works of Messrs. Gambles and of course,
our old friends the Hilden Mills of the Linen Thread Company.
These developments, both domestic and industrial, have thrown a
considerable burden on to the local authority's public health services.
The town enjoys an excellent water supply drawn in part from an upland
catchment area, and in part from a group of wells bored to a depth of
approximately 400 feet in to the underlying greensand beds. In order to
meet the ever-increasing demand arrangements have been made to supplement
these sources by the purchase of water in bulk from the Stoneyford
reservoirs of the Belfast Water Commissioners. A link-up with the
Hillsborough Rural District Council also enables water to be obtained
through them from the Silent Valley in the Mourne Mountains, while a
similar link-up with the Lisburn Rural District Council enables water to
be obtained, if necessary from Lough Neagh.
During the past ten years many thousands of pounds have been spent on
the construction of new main sewers to augment the capacity of the
sewerage system to deal with the increasing flows, and further expensive
projects for trunk sewers and pumping stations are at present being
constructed. A firm of consulting engineers has been retained to report on
the measures necessary to modernise the the sewage disposal plant to
enable it to deal satisfactorily with the greatly increased quantities of
sewage likely to arise in the next few years.
The town is fortunate in the possession of a number of parks and open
spaces presented to the inhabitants by benevolent donors. These include
the Wallace Park of 26 acres, presented in 1884 by Sir Richard Wallace.
The Castle Gardens is a pleasant little park right in the centre of the
town, overlooking the river and close to the Cathedral; this was presented
by Sir John Murray Scott. On the County Down side of the town are the
extensive John Milne Barbour Junior Memorial Playing Fields, presented to
the townspeople by Mrs. Harold Barbour, while adjacent to the Union Bridge
is a children's playground presented by the same generous donor. At the
western end of the town, where there has been a great development of
post-war housing, is the Sir Milne Barbour Memorial Park with a
beautifully laid-out bowling green, and flower gardens.
During recent months the Council acquired an extensive tract of land on
the County Down side of the town, this was originally intended for housing
purposes, but under the policy which the Ministry of Health and Local
Government has adopted following the publication of the Matthew Report its
use for that purpose would not now be possible It is not unlikely
therefore that this land may ultimately be used for increasing the
recreational facilities to meet the needs of a rapidly growing population.
Finally a word should be said about a commendable development which is
entirely unofficial in character. Last year a local group was formed under
the auspices of the Civic Trust, and a scheme was prepared under expert
guidance for the redecoration and refurnishing of all the business
premises in Bow Street. The painters and decorators are actively at work
and the improvement in the appearance of those premises which have been
completed is most noticeable. It is to be hoped that this movement will
soon spread to other streets and that in future years the centre of the
borough of Lisburn will present an altogether brighter and gayer