Church of the Ascension,
Annahilt consecrated in July 1856.
|Rev. Canon Robert Howard Rector||
Glebe Road, Annahilt
Rector: Rev. Canon Robert Howard
Telephone: 9263 8218
Morning Prayer: 10.00am
Evening Prayer: 6.30pm
1st Sunday of month: 10.00am
2nd and 4th Sunday of month: 8.30am
3rd Sunday of month: 10.00am
5th Sunday of month: 6.30pm
Organist Timothy Wilson (left - second row)
and the Church of the Ascension Choir pictured
on Sunday 21st May at a Festival of Flowers
Service celebrating 150 years of continuous
worship in the church. L to R: (front row) Ian
Dunn - Rector’s Warden, Derek Capper - Diocesan
Reader, the Rt. Revd Harold Miller - Bishop of
Down & Dromore, the Revd Canon Robert Howard -
Rector and Miss Patricia Halliday - People’s
|Church of the
Brief history as recorded in a book ‘Lisburn’s Rich Church Heritage’ by John Kelly
There has been a church on this site since the Eighth
Century. The original church was dedicated to St. Moliba and was
probably destroyed in 1641. A new church built on the same site
was consecrated on 29th June 1741 (St. Peter’s Day) and the
tower was added in 1768.
The present church was consecrated on 29th July 1856 and the deed of consecration states that the previous church was condemned by William Fullerton, Architect to the Ecclesiastical Commission. In 2001 a new stained glass window was dedicated to celebrate the Christian life and witness over the years.
Derek Capper was appointed diocesan reader in 1991. The Rev Canon Robert Howard was instituted as rector of the grouped parish of Annahilt and Magherahamlet on 4th February 1994. He was installed as Prebendary of Dromara on the Chapter of Dromore Cathedral at a service of installation in Dromore Cathedral on 24th March 2006.