|Ballinderry Parish Church||Notice Board.|
|Rev. Canon Ernest Harris
|Dr Fred Ruddell
Ballinderry Road,Upper Ballinderry.
Rector: Rev. Canon Ernest Harris
Telephone: 9265 1310
Morning Prayer: 11.30am
Evening Prayer: 7.00pm
Web site: www.connor.anglican.org
he rector, the Rev Canon Ernest Harris and organist
Robert Yarr (front) pictured with members of Ballinderry
Parish Church Choir. L to R:
(front row) David Elwood - People’s Churchwarden, Elizabeth
Tuft, Jackie Hunsdale, Betty Totten, Sandra McKerr, Wilma
Biggerstaff, Mildred Devlin, Joan Crossey, Myrtle Carson,
Susanna Tuft, Patricia Harris, Florence Kidd and John
Hunsdale - Rector’s Churchwarden. (second row) Elizabeth
Neiland, Margaret Yarr, Carol Elwood, Patricia Dawson,
Lyndsey Devlin, Josephine Kelly, Patricia Yarr, Daphne
Davidson, John Tuft and Bill Thomas. (back row) Timothy
Elwood, Alan Yarr, Cecil Davidson, Stanley Biggerstaff,
Eddie Kidd and Bob Yarr.
Brief history as recorded in a book ‘Lisburn’s Rich Church Heritage’ by John Kelly
Ballinderry is derived from Baile an Doire - the town of the oak wood. The Middle Church served as the parish church until the present church was built in 1824, (the date on the tower), during the incumbency of the Rev James Stannus. It cost £2,200 to build. The Marquis of Hertford gave £1,000, and the late Board of First Fruits, the remainder in the form of a loan. It is built in the later English style of architecture, with a tower and spire 128 feet high. A chancel and vestry were added later. The stained glass window was erected in 1862 by Thomas Walkington of Oatland Cottage, Ballinderry, in remembrance of his father and mother and in pious memory of his ancestor Edward Walkington, Bishop of Down and Connor in 1695. At the front of the gallery is a large painting of the royal coat of arms of Charles II, which was brought from the Middle Church in 1859 and may have originally hung at Portmore Castle in the 17th century. There were at least two other churches within the parish boundaries, one at Templecormac and the other at Moygariff, but they fell into decay.
The present rector, the Rev Canon Ernest Harris, was instituted in March 1990. Mr Harris was installed as Prebendary of Cairncastle as a member of the Chapter of St Saviour Connor in February 2006. Dr Fred Ruddell was appointed Diocesan Reader in 1996. From January to June 2009, during the final year of his training for the ministry, Johnny McLoughlin will assist at Ballinderry Parish.