|Ballycairn Presbyterian Church, built in 1926.||The Rev. Victor Sinclair pictured in Ballycairn Presbyterian Church.|
|Rev. Victor Sinclair Minister Emeritus||Notice Board|
Ballylesson, Ballycairn, Edenderry.
Ballylesson Road, near Shaw’s Bridge.
The convenor of the vacancy at Ballycairn is the Rev Robert Love,
minister of Taughmonagh Presbyterian Church.
Sunday services: Morning: 11.30am (each Sunday)
Evening: 6.30pm (First Sunday each month)
Presbyterian Church in Ireland Website: www.presbyterianireland.org
The first Ballycairn church was situated near Drumbo village on the left hand side of the Mealough road to Leverogue.
The first minister was the Mr. Adam Montgomery who was ordained on 23rd June 1830, and died on 16th May 1888 in the eighty-fourth year of his age while still discharging the duties of his sacred office. For many years Mr. Montgomery was the Clerk of the Belfast Presbytery.
The next minister was the Mr. George Duncan, (Iic. Strabane), who was ordained here on 21st November 1888 and died on 13th July 1908.
The third minister was the Rev. Samuel James Clarke, (lic. Down), and formerly minister of 2nd Newtownstewart and later of Ballyblack. He was installed on 27th October 1908. He retired from active duty on 3rd February 1931. He died on 3rd August 1947. During his ministry the new Ballycairn church was built and opened in 1926. It is situated between Ballylesson and Shaw’s Bridge.
The fourth minister was the Rev. William John Latimer, a son of the Rev. Dr. W. T. Latimer of Eglish, author of A History of the Irish Presbyterians. Mr. Latimer was previously minister of Carnone and of Moneydig. He was installed here on 16th April 1931. He retired on 31st March 1949. He died on 31st August 1949 as a result of an accident.
The fifth minister was the Rev. Marshall McCreery, (lic. Belfast), who was installed here on 30th June 1949. He had previously been minister of Clare, Tandragee (1935-37) and then was missionary in Manchuria for 12 years. He retired on 31st August 1974 and died on 27th July 1981.
The sixth minister the Rev. Victor Sinclair who was installed here on 10th April 1975. He was previously ordained (16th January 1974) assistant in Rosemary Church, Belfast. During Mr. Sinclair’s ministry the new extension was added. It was opened on Sunday 1st July 1984 by the Rev. Cowper Lynas, Acting Moderator of Belfast South Presbytery. Mr Sinclair, now Minister Emeritus of Ballycairn, preached the final sermon in his active ministry at an emotional farewell service in Ballycairn Presbyterian Church on Sunday 1st April 2007. The convenor of the vacancy at Ballycairn is the Rev Robert Love, minister of Taughmonagh Presbyterian Church.
Brief history as recorded in a book ‘Lisburn’s Rich Church Heritage’ by John Kelly
Before the church was built in 1830, the members of Ballycairn met in a field near Drumbo village. The first minister, Mr Adam Montgomery, was ordained in 1830 and died in June 1888 while still in office. His successor, the Rev George Duncan, realised that the proximity of Drumbo Church and a decrease in the local population meant there was no longer any need for two churches in the district so he had a church hall erected in Ballylesson. During the ministry of the Rev Samuel James Clarke, the present Ballycairn Church was built and opened for worship in 1926. Mr Clarke was succeeded by the Rev W J Latimer. In 1949 the Rev Marshall McCreery, a former missionary in Manchuria was installed and during his ministry the new church hall was opened in 1969. The Rev Victor Sinclair was installed in April 1975 and during his ministry the new extension comprising the choir and minister’s rooms was added. Mr Sinclair preached the final sermon of his ministry in Ballycairn on 1st April 2007 and the convenor of the vacancy is the Rev Robert Love, minister of Taughmonagh Presbyterian Church. Ballycairn is notable for electing the first woman elder in Ireland: Mrs Mary Montgomery, a daughter-in-law of the founding minister of Ballycairn, was ordained on 5th December 1929 and served the church faithfully for many years.