|Ballymagarrick Gospel Hall.||Ballymagarrick Congregation|
Comber Road, Lisburn. (near Carryduff).
Lord’s Day Services:
Sunday School: 3.00pm
Lord’s Supper: 11.30am
Gospel Meeting: 7.00 pm
Brief history as recorded in a book ‘Lisburn’s Rich Church Heritage’ by John Kelly
Prior to the erection of the first building known as Culcavey Mission Hall gospel meetings were held in an old school building belonging to the Hillsborough Linen Company as far back as 1919. Some time later a Sunday school was started in the Halftown Orange Hall and later a gospel meeting and prayer meeting followed. A wooden hall was erected in 1930 but by the mid 1950s it was beginning to show signs of decay, so it was given a front and a back of brick, leaving the timber hall in between.
In the 1960s a donation of £500 was made by the Sir John Laing Fund to complete the building work commenced in the previous decade. A new hall was in effect built and linked with the brick front and back walls. During the building work, meetings were held in a tent loaned by a Mr Glasgow of Newtownards. Further renovation work was carried out in the 1980s.
In 1997 Mr John Beggs bequeathed his adjoining property, which provided a spacious car park. In 2006 work commenced on a new extension offering a minor hall, crèche, larger kitchen, storage and modern toilet facilities. It was completed in August 2008. Refurbishment of the main building in 2009 will include a new ceiling, platform improvements, up-graded of seating, modern lighting and audio-visual facilities including a loop system
For a detailed history of Ballynagarrick Gospel Hall, visit the churches website at: www.ballymagarrickgospelhall.org.uk