|Broomhedge Gospel Hall, built in 1935.||Notice Board at
Broomhedge Gospel Hall.
Halfpenny Gate Road, Broomhedge.
Lord’s Day Services:
Sunday School: 10.30am
Lord’s Supper: 11.30am
Gospel Meeting: 6.30pm
The Assembly at Broomhedge was formed about 1890 and met in at least two different locations before the present hall was built during the period 1932-1935, for the sum of £150. Many of the founder members had been converted as a result of the preaching of travelling evangelist David Rea (1845-1916) who was originally from Balteagh, near Portadown. Mr Rea kept notes relating to his gospel campaigns and these were edited by his son Tom and first published by John Ritchie, Ltd, Kilmarnock in 1917. A 1930 edition of The Life and Labours of David Rea, Evangelist has a section entitled Half-Penny Gate, Maze, 1879 and records that they went from Strandtown to the Halfpenny Gate and obtained ground for a tent but were unable to secure lodgings for themselves. Convinced that God wished them to preach to the people of this district, they rented an empty barn in which they placed a bed, table, seats and a few cooking utensils. The writer goes on to record that the Lord commenced to work in power and many precious souls were saved. After they left, James Stewart and W J Chapman of Lisburn, carried on the work. Today gospel services and the day-to-day work of the Broomhedge Gospel Assembly are led by a group of unsalaried overseers.