|Pastor Clifford Morrison||Carr Baptist
Church, Carr, Lisburn.
The present church was built in 1999.
The original church built in 1978 is now the church hall.
|At the Induction Service of Pastor Clifford Morrison in Carr Baptist Church last Friday evening (17th April) are L to R: (front) Mr Robin McCluskey (Elder), Mr Victor Scott (Elder), Pastor Clifford Morrison, Mrs Margaret Morrison, Mr Robert Graham (Elder), Myles Cordner (Church Secretary). (back row) Pastor Walter Entwistle, Pastor Jim Smyth, Pastor Jackie Hughes (Ballykeel Baptist), Pastor Ian Grant, Pastor Sam Carson, Pastor Freddie McClaughlin and Rev Alistair Smyth (Carryduff Presbyterian).|
321 Comber Road, Carr, Lisburn.
Pastor: Clifford Morrison
Telephone: 3888 2144
Lord’s Day Services:
Family Service: 11.30am
Gospel Service: 6.30pm
|Notice Board at Carr Baptist Church.||The welcoming sign at Carr Baptist Church.|
The late Pastor Shields from the Milltown Church was an outstanding evangelist and during his pastorate at Milltown he conducted several tent missions, one of the most successful being at Carr at the farm of the Maxwell family. The family were members of the Milltown Church and walked there every Sunday - a distance of 10 miles. At the beginning of the century, the family felt exercised to erect a Baptist witness at Carr, and new hall at the Carr was opened on 31st December 1904. It cost £60.
Pastor Shields continued to overview the work at Carr from 1904 to 1933. In 1933, he was succeeded by Pastor R. W. Graham, who took up the role of a Pastor at Milltown and Carr. Pastor Currie Brennan succeeded him in 1962. In 1968 the late Eddie McClusky came to live in Carryduff and after a short period took over the leadership of the outstation at Carr, but still the work remained part of Milltown.
In 1972, the Milltown church suddenly found itself on the edge of a huge development area in South Belfast with the construction of the Belvoir Housing Estate. Pastor Derek Baxter who had the oversight of Milltown felt the need for the formation of a fully-fledged Baptist Church at Carr.
With between 20-30 each Sunday, this task seemed impossible, but the outcome was a formation service held on 13th April 1972, when 22 foundation members formed the new Baptist Church at Carr.
In 1977 the present site was purchased from a neighbouring farmer and a new church was completed and opened for worship on Saturday 22nd April 1978.
Pastor Huston was called to the Pastorate in September 1996, and again the pastorate became vacant in 1998. Pastor Richard Garnham was inducted on 31st August1999, and during his ministry a new building was erected at Carr. The original church, built in 1978, is now the church hall. Pastor Clifford Morrison, currently Pastor of Portadown Baptist Church was inducted at the new Pastor of Carr Baptist Church at an Induction Service on Friday 17th April 2009 in succession to Pastor Richard Garnham who moved to Moira Baptist in September 2008.
For a more detailed history of Carr Baptist Church, click on: www.carrbaptist.org.uk
Brief history as recorded in a book ‘Lisburn’s Rich Church Heritage’ by John Kelly
The late Pastor Shields from the Milltown Church conducted several tent missions, one of the most successful being at Carr on the Maxwell family farm. The Maxwell family felt exercised to erect a Baptist witness at Carr, and a corrugated iron hall was opened in 1904 at a cost of £60. In 1972, Pastor Derek Baxter, who had the oversight of Milltown felt the need for a fully-fledged Baptist Church at Carr and the formation service was held in April 1972, when twenty-two foundation members formed the new Baptist Church. In 1977 the present site was purchased and a new church was opened in April 1978. During the ministry of Pastor Richard Garnham, a new building was erected at Carr and the original church, built in 1978, is now the church hall. The present pastor, Clifford Morrison, previously of Thomas Street Baptist Church, Portadown, was inducted on 17th April 2009, in succession to Pastor Richard Garnham, who was called to Moira Baptist Church in September 2008.