Big thank you from

Crumlin Presbyterian Church

Crumlin Presbyterian Church built in 1715. Notice Board at Crumlin Presbyterian Church.
Crumlin Presbyterian Church built in 1715 Notice Board 

Main Street, Crumlin.

Minister:Rev. Brian Kennaway

Telephone:9442 2430

Sunday services:


Evening: 7.00pm

Presbyterian Church in Ireland Website:


The Presbyterian cause here was first located at Glenavy and when Ballinderry built its own meeting house in 1713 the Glenavy meeting-house was abandoned in 1715 in favour of a new centre at Crumlin.  It was sometimes known as Lower Kilmacaret.

The first minister called here was Mr. Thomas Crawford (lic. Belfast) son of the Rev. Andrew Crawford of Carnmoney.  He was ordained on 10th January 1724 and had a long ministry till his death on 15 July 1782.  His successor Mr. John Gibson (lic. Killyleagh) was ordained on 18th February 1783 and died after only 13 years on 18th July 1796.

The next minister, Mr. Nathaniel Alexander, was a licentiate of the Antrim Non-Subscribing Presbytery and a man of much ability.  Ordained on 3rd September 1799 he conducted an Academy in Antrim with success.  He was appointed Moderator of the General Synod of Ulster for 1817-1818 but later in 1830 he withdrew his congregation from the Synod, and with them joined the Remonstrants.

Those members who adhered to the orthodox faith then made out a call to Mr. Alexander Colquhoun Canning (lic. Derry), and he was ordained on 9th October 1838. He “commanded the confidence and respect of all who knew him” and stayed here his entire ministry till his retirement in 1888.  His death occurred on 24th May 1896.  He was followed in nearly every respect by his son, Mr. John Alexander Canning (lic. Templepatrick) who after his ordination on 28th May 1889 spent 40 years in Crumlin till his death on 22nd January 1929.

The sixth minister to be called was Mr. Francis Rankin Moore Bryars (lic. Dungannon).  He was ordained on 3rd September 1929 and died here on 16th May 1964.  His successor was the Rev. Robert Neville Brown originally from the Tyrone Presbytery.  Mr. Brown had been ordained as assistant to the Rt. Rev. Dr. W. A. A. Park of Ballygilbert when he was Moderator of the General Assembly. He was after that installed as ordained assistant in First Lisburn from 1962-63, and then installed in Crumlin on 1stDecember 1964.  He resigned this charge in 1971 on taking up duty as a Lecturer in Biblical Studies in Stranmillis Teachers' Training College.

The Rev. Hugh Dennis McKillen of Clontarf was then called and installed on 11th May 1972.  He resigned on 15th June 1976 having accepted a call of the Whitehouse congregation, Belfast.

The present minister, the Rev. Brian Kennaway (lic. Belfast South), formerly ordained (1stJan. 1976) assistant in Glengormley, was installed on 15th March 1977.