|Christ Church, Derriaghy||Christ Church, Derriaghy|
Rev. John Budd
|Rev Helen MacArthur Curate|
Derriaghy Road, Lisburn
Rector: Rev. John Budd
Telephone: 9061 0859
Holy Communion: 9.15am (2nd and 5th Sunday
Morning Prayer: 11.00am
Holy communion: on 1st Sunday
Family service: on 3rd Sunday
Evening Prayer: 6.30pm
Holy communion: on 3rd Sunday
Web site: www.connor.anglican.org
Christ Church Choir, Derriaghy
Rev. John Budd - Rector of Christ Church, Derriaghy and Pat Maxwell - Organist and choir mistress, pictured with Derriaghy’s Christ Church Choir. L to R: (front) Junior Choir - Conor Randall, Bryony Randall, Jessica Teague, Jessica Prentice, Matthew Budd and Harriet Budd. (second row) Laurel Randall (Secretary), Margaret Hanthorne, Rev. John Budd - Rector, Mildred Leathem and Pat Maxwell - Organist and choir mistress. (back row) Muriel Briggs, Betty Mackinnon, June Belshaw, Peggy Gibson, Irene Graham, Ashley Beattie, Stanley Graham and Gerry Fell. The choir maintain its four-part choral tradition, leading worship at morning and evening services each Sunday. Junior Choir members specialise in songs of the world church which they contribute each month to the family service. Choir members are at the centre of the popular parish concerts produced in recent years in conjunction with the daughter parish of St. Andrew’s, Colin. These concerts have uncovered a wealth of musical and comical talent within Derriaghy parish, notably among the gentlemen.
|The old stables were converted into a Parochial Hall in 1949; a new parochial hall was opened in 1966.||The old school built on the opposite side of the road to the church was erected in 1888 in memory of Miss Mary Charley. The building on the right is the infant school, built in 1897.|
| The Church which
| Notice Board at
Christ Church, Derriaghy.
Brief history as recorded in a book ‘Lisburn’s Rich Church Heritage’ by John Kelly
There have been churches in Derriaghy for many centuries. The earliest documentary evidence of a church is in a document from Pope Innocent III in 1204, which named the Church of Erderacheth. We know very little about these churches before the 17th century. The present church, consecrated in October 1873, replaced a church built about 1696. It was given the name Christ Church; it cost £3,600 to build and seated 500 people. A school was built beside the church in 1830, and schools built on the opposite side of the road in 1888 and 1897 returned to the church in 1965. The choir and organ were situated on the gallery until 1904 when the organ chamber and two-manual hand blown organ was installed and a chancel, sanctuary and choir stalls added. In 1949 the old stables were converted into a Parochial Hall. The Canon Quin Memorial Hall, built on the site of the old 1830 school, was dedicated in December 1957. During the ministry of the Rev. Norman Barr a new parochial hall was opened in October 1966. The vicarage was sold in October 1991 and a new rectory was opened in September 1992. The present Rector, the Rev. John Budd, was instituted in January 1997. The curate, the Rev Helen MacArthur, was made Deacon in June 2008 and was ordained Priest in June 2009.
The above brief history is taken from a book written by the Rev. W. N. C. Barr - Rector (1961-1990) and published in 1973 to mark the Centenary of the consecration of Christ Church, Derriaghy. To see his Mr. Barr’s book in full, click on: Christ Church Derriaghy, A Short History of the Parish
Another full history of the church is shown on this web site: Click on: Christ Church Derriaghy (300 Years of uninterrupted Worship)