|Holy Trinity, Drumbo.
The church was consecrated in July 1791.
|Rev. Robert Neill Minister|
Holy Trinity Church, Drumbo.
Ballylesson Road, Drumbo.
Minister: Rev. Robert Neill
Telephone: 9082 6225
Morning Prayer: 11.30 am
Evening Prayer: 6.30 pm
Web site: https://www.downanddromore.org/drumbo/
Holy Trinity Church, Drumbo dates from 1791. The Round Tower beside the Presbyterian Church in the village of Drumbo marks the site of the early Celtic monastery, which, after the Reformation in the 16th century, became the site of the parish church until the late 18th century. The local population had by then moved downhill to the Lagan valley and the churchwardens decided to build the new church in the townland of Ballylesson on a prominent site belonging to one of the churchwardens, James Beers, the actual site being chosen by the great Wills Hill, the first Marquis of Downshire. The old site at Drumbo village was taken over by the Presbyterian Church, who built a new church there in 1882.
The architect, Charles Lilly, was suggested by Lord Downshire, for whom he had already carried out several commissions in other parts of County Down. Six bells were purchased for the new church and the total cost, including the bells, was £1251.5.0 ½; the account for this sum survives in the Public Record Office. The church was speedily built and ready for consecration by William Dickson, Bishop of Down and Connor, on 24th July 1791. A copy of the Deed of Consecration is framed and hangs in the church.
For a detailed history of the church, click on: Holy Trinity Church, Drumbo
Brief history as recorded in a book ‘Lisburn’s Rich Church Heritage’ by John Kelly
Holy Trinity Church, Drumbo dates from 1791. Six bells were purchased and the church was consecrated on 24th July 1791. The only original part of the church is the porch and tower, which houses the bells. A robing room was added in 1825 and two transepts in 1863/4. In 1874 the roof was replaced with one of a much steeper pitch. At this time, the original box pews were replaced with the present pitch pine pews and the original nave windows were also replaced. An organ was installed in 1893 replacing an earlier harmonium and around the turn of the century a tile carpet was laid in the sanctuary. In 1981 chandeliers were installed in the nave and in each transept and the sanctuary walls were painted red. The recent repainting has retained this rich crimson colour and with enhanced high-level lighting, the sanctuary is a blaze of colour. Two new bells were installed in 1977 making a full peal of eight bells. The church hall was opened in 1991. When Christ Church, Belfast closed in 1994 the baptismal font was acquired. With help from the Heritage Lottery Fund, major restoration was carried out and all work was completed in May 2005. The present rector, the Rev Robert Neill, was instituted here in September 1998. Mr Neill was installed as a Canon of Down Cathedral on 25th September 2007 and appointed Prebendary of Talpestone.