Rev. Ian Gilpin
|Moira Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Church, the building dates to 1738.|
Meeting Street, Moira.
Minister-in-charge: Rev. Ian Gilpin
Telephone: 9187 2265
Second Sunday in month: 11.30am
Last Sunday in month: 11.30am
|Pictured during a Presbytery visitation in March 2009 are L to R: (seated) Rt Rev Robert McKee (Moderator of General Synod), the Rev Ian Gilpin (Minister-in-charge and Clerk of Bangor Presbytery) and Rev John Herron (Moderator of Bangor Presbytery). (back row) Lorraine Wilkinson, Joan Agnew (Secretary), Trevor Agnew (Elder), Geordie Wilkinson, Bill Wilkinson, Tom Wilkinson and Lisa Wilkinson.||Notice Board at Moira
(Non Subscribing) Church.
This congregation was in existence by 1692, when it attempted to secure its first minister. Having espoused Non-Subscribing or “New Light” principles the congregation was placed in the Presbytery of Antrim in 1725, but returned to the General Synod of Ulster and was assigned to the Presbytery of Armagh in 1731. The present building dates to 1738, financial assistance being granted by the General Synod in 1731 as the congregation had been “lately deprived of their Meeting House”. This new Meeting House however passed under the control of the Seceeders (a separate Presbyterian denomination) in 1747 and was not restored to the small Synod of Ulster congregation until approximately 1770. In 1829 the congregation of Moira once again joined the Non-Subscribers and withdrew from the General Synod to join the new Remonstrant Synod of Ulster. In 1910 the name “Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Church of Ireland” was adopted by the denomination. Although small in number this congregation has showed great strength of fellowship for over 300 years and maintained its liberal Christian witness. The fact that a small hall was built in 1999 is an indication of the confidence for the future. The Rev. Ian Gilpin has been minister-in-charge of the vacant charge since September 1991.
The above history of First Presbyterian (Non-Subscribing) Church, Moira, was compiled by the Rev. Dr. J. W. Nelson.