Harmony Hill Presbyterian Church, Lambeg,
opened in May 1965.
Rev. David Knox
Rev. Harold Gray
Harmony Hill, Lambeg.
Minister: Rev. David Knox
Telephone: 9266 2878
Minister Emeritus: Rev. Harold Gray
Assistant Minister: Rev Clarke Deering
No evening services in July
Web site: www.harmonyhillchurch.org
Worship began in the Presbyterian Hall on 21stFebruary 1954. This hall, sited in Lambeg village, was originally used for offices by the local bleaching company. Later it was converted into residential accommodation. First Lisburn, during the ministry of Rev. J. C. C. Breakey, took over a room on the premises for a Sunday School for the children of the area, and purchased the property in 1929. Prominent among the teachers were the Fisher family. In 1952 the Church Extension Committee appointed the Rev. V. Molgaard as stated supply. On his resignation in 1955 the congregation was under the care of Rev. Professor R. J. Wilson and Mr. John Nelson, a lay agent, who had worked with the Qua Iboe Mission and with Church Extension causes at Rathcoole and Garnerville. Mr. Nelson continued to work with the new minister, Mr. David Hugh Alexander Watson (lic. Ards). Mr. Watson was ordained and installed at a service in 1stLisburn on 20th September 1956. He had the oversight of Lambeg and Seymour Hill, Dunmurry. He had as assistant the Rev. Jose Roncero, a Spaniard, who later went to Australia as a Minister. His successors as assistants were Rev. R. N. Brown and Rev. John W. Morrow, who eventually became minister of Seymour Hill, Dunmurry, when the two centers were separated.
The congregation of Lambeg outgrew its home in the village hall. This hall, owned by 1stLisburn, was transferred for a nominal sum to the Church Extension Committee. The foundation stones for the Harmony Hill Presbyterian Church were laid on 19th September 1964, and the building was opened by the Rt. Rev. Dr. James Dunlop, Moderator of the General Assembly, on 29th May 1965. A manse was purchased in the same year and a church hall opened in 1971.
The bell in the tower has engraved on it 1874 and a crown, harp and shamrock. The bell is from Clogher Presbyterian Church, Co. Mayo. The church was erected, and declared an established congregation by the Moderator of the General Assembly, the Rt. Rev. Dr. Wm. Boyd, on 18th February 1968. The first elders were ordained and installed on 17th November 1968 by the Presbytery of Dromore.
The Rev. D. H. A. Watson resigned on 24 June 1975 when he accepted a call to Kilsyth Parish, Church of Scotland, and the Rev. William Harold Gray of Woodvale Church, Belfast, was installed on 23rd January 1976. Mr. Gray retired in October 1991 and is now the Minister Emeritus in Harmony Hill.
The present minister, the Rev. David Knox, previously in Downpatrick was installed in Harmony Hill in May 1992. The Rev. Karen Campbell, who was appointed Assistant Minister in Harmony Hill in September 2004, left on Sunday 25th March and was installed in First Islandmagee on Thursday 19th April 2007. Karen was succeeded by the Rev Clarke Deering from Rosslea (Co Fermanagh), who commenced his duties as the new Assistant Minister on Sunday 3rd June 2007. John Blair was appointed full time Outreach Co-ordinator in September 2006. John’s main duties include responsibility for the Base ‘Drop In’ Centre (located in the basement of the church), which opened in January 2007.
A full history of the church by S. & B. Wallace (Published 1993) is shown on this web site, click on: "Forty Years On" Harmony Hill Presbyterian Church Lambeg.
Brief history as recorded in a book ‘Lisburn’s Rich Church Heritage’ by John Kelly
Worship began in the Presbyterian Hall on 21st February 1954. This hall, sited in Lambeg village, was originally used for offices by the local bleaching company. In 1952 the Church Extension Committee appointed the Rev V Molgaard as stated supply and on his resignation in 1955 the congregation was under the care of the Rev Professor R J Wilson and Mr John Nelson. Mr Nelson continued to work with the new minister, Mr David Hugh Alexander Watson who was ordained and installed at a service in First Lisburn on 20th September 1956. He had the oversight of Lambeg and Seymour Hill, Dunmurry. The congregation of Lambeg outgrew its home in the village hall and the present church was opened on 29th May 1965 and a manse purchased in the same year. The church was declared an established congregation in February 1968. The church hall was opened in 1971. The Rev Harold Gray, who was installed in January 1976, retired in October 1991 and is now Minister Emeritus. The present minister, the Rev David Knox, was installed in May 1992. A new entrance and vestibule area was dedicated in March 2006 and new windows presented. John Blair was appointed full time Outreach Co-ordinator in September 2006 with responsibility for the Base ‘Drop In’ Centre (located in the basement of the church), which opened in January 2007. The Rev Clarke Deering was appointed Assistant Minister in June 2007.