|The Church on the Hill, Maghaberry|
|Rev. Elizabeth Hewitt Minister||Noticeboard at the Church on the Hill|
Maghaberry Road, Maghaberry.
Minister: Rev. Elizabeth Hewitt
Telephone: 9445 2494
Sunday Worship: 11.30am (10.30am from January 2006)
Maghaberry Methodist Church, which has been renamed ‘The Church on the Hill’, now caters for the Methodist Church and the Church of Ireland with a united service (with Aghalee Parish) and Kids Club held every Sunday at 10.30am.
Around 1877, Methodism began a work in Maghaberry under the New Connection Methodist Church. The Rev Edward Thomas was in charge of the initial work and under his ministry two local ladies, Miss Balmer and Miss Davidson, were highly instrumental in raising funds for the establishment of a small church and an attached dwelling at Maghaberry crossroads. On 18th March 1886 the premises were transferred under lease to local Trustees from the Sir Richard Wallace estate. In 1909, the conference of the Methodist New Connexion Church meeting in Leeds transferred their property in Ireland to the Methodist Church in Ireland. Over the years the building became known as the Black House probably because of its drab appearance. The building was refurbished, externally rendered to become white and reopened for worship on 30th May 1982.
The new church hall was built and opened in 1986 to facilitate expanding youth work. The present church was opened in November 2003 and the present minister, the Rev. Elizabeth Hewitt, began her ministry in Maghaberry Methodist Church in July 2005. Miss Hewitt now has pastoral oversight of Maghaberry, Moira, Glenavy and Craigmore congregations. Maghaberry Methodist Church, which has been renamed ‘The Church on the Hill’, now caters for the Methodist Church and the Church of Ireland with a United Service (with Aghalee Parish) and Kids Club held every Sunday at 10.30am.
Brief history as recorded in a book ‘Lisburn’s Rich Church Heritage’ by John Kelly