|Rev. Elizabeth Hewitt Minister||Moira Methodist Church, built in 1822.|
Main Street, Moira.
Minister: Rev. Elizabeth Hewitt
Telephone: 9445 2494
Sunday service: 10.30am
Brief history as recorded in a book ‘Lisburn’s Rich Church Heritage’ by John Kelly
Methodism in Moira can trace its origins back to a visit by John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, in 1756 when he was invited to preach on the lawn before the castle by the Earl of Moira. The present building dates from 1822 and one of the people who played a large part in the development of Methodism in Moira was Anne Lutton, whose life and work are commemorated on a plaque in the church.
In 1981 there was a redesign of the interior of the church. A central aisle replaced side aisles. Pews, pulpit and wainscotting installed at the time came from Carlisle Memorial Church in Belfast, which had recently closed. These improvements were dedicated at a reopening service on 12th December 1981.
The present minister, the Rev Elizabeth Hewitt, began her ministry at Moira and Maghaberry in July 2005. In addition to her role as minister of Moira and Maghaberry she became minister of Glenavy and Craigmore in July 2007, in succession to the Rev Leslie Spence.