|Rev. David Porter Minister||Second Dromara Presbyterian Church.|
Second Dromara Presbyterian Church elders: L to R: (seated) Rev David Porter, Denis Easton, Les Carson and Edwin Kinghan. (back row) Richard Kernoghan, Herbert Chambers, Allan Marshall and Wilby Hanna.
Second Dromara Presbyterian Church Choir
Begney Hill Road, Dromara.
Minister: Rev. David Porter
Telephone: 9753 2203
July and August: 11.00am.
Evening Service as announced.
Presbyterian Church in Ireland Website:
This congregation was established to meet the needs of many Presbyterians who were unable to attend the First Congregation by reason of distance. The first minister was Mr. John Murdoch (lic. Down 1844). He was ordained here on 31stMarch 1845 and on 17th November 1852 he was suspended and disannexed from his congregation for intemperance. He emigrated to the U.S.A. He was followed by a man who bore a name that was to be a household one all over Ulster, Mr. William John Patton (lic. Ards). He was ordained here on 29th June 1853 and had a long and fruitful evangelical ministry of over 41 years until his death on 31stJanuary 1895. His voice continued to be heard in two books, which had a very wide circulation, “Pardon and Assurance” and “How to Live the Christian Life”.
The ministry of Mr. John Logan (lic. Dublin), ordained on 30th August 1895, saw extensive renovations carried out to church property. He resigned on 13th August 1907 when called to Naas. Mr. William John Gregg (lic. Ards) who followed, was ordained on 21stFebruary 1908 after having been minister in Albertbridge Road Congregational Church, Belfast, for some years. He resigned from Second Dromara on 2nd May 1921 and was for six years in New Zealand. He returned and was installed on 28th June 1927 in Argyle Place, Belfast.
The fifth minister to be called was Mr. Samuel Gibson McConnell (lic. Belfast) who was ordained on 19th October 1921. His ministry here ended with his removal to Castlecaulfield on 10th April 1933. He put the entire Presbyterian Church in his debt with his painstaking revision of his father’s Fasti of the Irish Presbyterian Church 1613-1840 The minister who followed was Mr. John Henry Whyte (lic. Ahoghill) who was ordained on 2nd October 1946 and who resigned to go to Cookstown (Molesworth) on 19th November 1952. His successor was Mr. Ernest Edward Hamilton Porter (lic. Armagh) who was ordained on 25th March 1953 and who after ten years accepted a call to First Broughshane on 13th August 1963.
The eighth minister was Mr. James Oscar Bridgett (lic. Ards) whose stay was short. After three years, ordained on 29th January 1964, he resigned on 29th November 1967 on a call to First Kilrea. The Rev. James Johnston of Newtownstewart was then called and installed on 28th November 1968. During his ministry a new manse was built. Mr. Johnston resigned on being called to the united congregations of Carnlough and Cushendall and was installed there on 6th October 1978.
The congregation’s choice then fell on Rev. Robert James Mattison (lic. Dromore) who had been ordained as assistant under the Home Mission in Pomeroy on 12th December 1978. He was installed in Second Dromara on 29th February 1981. Mr. Mattison resigned in 1991 to take up the position of Presbyterian Chaplain at the Maze Prison and was succeeded by the Rev. William Lee Elliott who was installed here in December 1991. Mr. Elliott resigned in September 1996 and later became minister of Richill Evangelical Presbyterian Church.
The Convenor of the Vacancy for over 4 years was the Rev David Knox, minister of Harmony Hill Presbyterian Church, Lambeg. From November 1998 to December 2000, the Stated Supply minister was the Rev. Douglas Armstrong, who had retired as minister of Greenisland Presbyterian Church.
The present minister, the Rev. David Porter, previously minister of Movilla Church Extension Charge, Newtownards, was installed in Second Dromara on 3rd January 2001. During his ministry the attractive but uncomfortable box pews were replaced, the floor replaced, heating and lighting upgraded and the interior doors were increased in height by 9 inches to facilitate funeral arrangements. To improve visibility in the gallery area the angle of the gallery was increased and the wooden paneling at the front of the gallery was replaced with glass paneling. A powerpoint video projection system was installed and the sound system upgraded. The work was completed at a cost of just £168,000 due to voluntary labour in removing the old pews and flooring etc. The church was re-opened for worship on Good Friday 6th April 2007 and the first Sunday service held on the 8th April. A re-opening and Dedication Service was held on Wednesday 9th May2007. The Rev David Porter led the service and the Moderator of the General Assembly the Right Rev Dr David Clarke dedicated the Church and memorial gifts of thirty pews and a new door.
Brief history as recorded in a book ‘Lisburn’s Rich Church Heritage’ by John Kelly
Second Dromara congregation was established to meet the needs of many Presbyterians who were unable to attend First Dromara Church by reason of distance. The first minister, Mr John Murdoch, was ordained here in March 1845. The next minister was the Rev William J Patton who was known worldwide for his books, Pardon and Assurance and How to live the Christian life. The ministry of Mr John Logan, ordained in 1895, saw extensive renovations carried out to the church property and during the ministry of the Rev James Johnston a new manse was built. The present minister, the Rev David Porter, was installed on 3rd January 2001. During his ministry the pews and floor were replaced, heating and lighting upgraded and the interior doors increased in height to facilitate funeral arrangements. To improve visibility in the gallery area the angle of the gallery was increased and the wooden panelling at the front of the gallery was replaced with glass. A powerpoint video projection system was installed and the sound system upgraded. The work was completed at a cost of just £168,000 due to voluntary labour and the church was re-opened on 6th April 2007 and a Re-opening and Dedication Service was held on 9th May 2007.