Sloan Street Presbyterian Church, Lisburn,
built in 1900.
Rev Andrew Faulkner
Sloan Street, Lisburn.
Minister: Rev Andrew Faulkner
Telephone: 9266 3837
During July and August the evening service is held in the Church Hall.
Kirk Session of Sloan Street Presbyterian Church, Lisburn. L to R: (front) Paul McCarroll,
Nelson Small, Ivan Wiggam and Gary Wilson. (back row) The Rev. John Keefe - Minister, James McDowell - Clerk
of Session, Robin McCulla, Jim Hamilton, James Martin, Dr. Brian Craig
and Kenneth Irvine.
In 1860 the General Assembly gave approval to the forming of a new congregation in Lisburn. Services were held in a Hay Loft in Castle Street, led by the Rev. John Powell, a minister without charge from the Presbytery of Dublin. He had formerly been minister of Carlow. A staunch Protestant, his intolerance of the doctrines of the Roman Catholic Church became widely known. His utterances had been resented by the Roman Catholic people of Carlow and they threatened to boycott the merchants belonging to the Presbyterian congregation unless they would have him removed. So strong was the pressure that Mr. Powell hurriedly resigned in 1855 and was issued with credentials by the Presbytery of Dublin. He came North and started a classical academy in Lisburn and consequently he was available to take services there.
In 1861 the new congregation proceeded to make out a call to a minister. It was found that the majority favored Mr. David John Clarke (lic. Down). Within the congregation there were also those who were equally anxious to call Mr. Powell. Those who were offended by his rejection seceded with Mr. Powell and began holding services in a carpenter's shop, fitted up for the purpose. When he had organized a congregation Mr. Powell applied to the original Secession Synod for admission and was installed in 1861. In 1863 a Mr. Sloan kindly offered a site for a meeting-house of the new congregation. This was accepted and in due time a building was erected. In 1880 Mr. Powell resigned owing to ill health and on 8th August 1880 the Rev. John William Gamble of Cootehill Original Secession congregation was installed. In 1887 he and the congregation of Lisburn (Sloan Street) were received into the General Assembly and a new church was built in 1900. Mr. Gamble died on 23rd January 1921 in the seventy-seventh year of his age.
The next minister was the Rev. James Morrow (lic. Limavady). He resigned in 1930 on receiving a call to Warrenpoint, after a ministry of nine years. His successor was the Rev. Wilbur W. Pyper of Killymurris who was installed on 3rd July 1930. He accepted a call to Belfast: Agnes Street on 21st March 1932. The Rev. Andrew Fullerton of Aughnacloy was called to succeed Mr. Pyper and he was installed here on 27th July 1932, to exercise a fine ministry until he retired on 30th September 1951. He died on 28th December 1951.
Mr. James McAllister (lic. Ballymena) was called to succeed him. Ordained on 28th November 1951, it was during his ministry that extensive renovations were carried out in the church, and a new Church Hall was built. He accepted a call to Megain Memorial Church, Belfast, on 15th April 1964 to be followed by Rev. James Walker Neilly, formerly of Tobermore. A new manse (23 Clonevin Park) replaced the former one (Belsize Road) at this time. After his installation on 16th September 1964 Mr. Neilly accepted a call to Immanuel Church, Belfast, on 20th June 1973.
The next minister - the seventh - was Rev. David Johnston of Donacloney. He was installed on 15th November 1973 and amid much regret accepted a call to Orangefield congregation, Belfast. He resigned on 18th May 1976.
Rev. William John Keefe, formerly of Upper and Lower Clonaneese was installed in Sloan Street on 2nd December 1976. During his ministry several auxiliary rooms were added to the rear of the meeting-house in 1992 and in 2001 a new church hall was erected and improvements made to the original church hall complex.
ANDREW Faulkner, previously assistant minister of Hill Street Presbyterian Church, Lurgan, was ordained and installed as the new minister of Sloan Street Presbyterian Church on Wednesday April 18. The former Fort Hill College teacher succeeds the Rev John Keefe, who retired in January 2011.
The Service of Ordination and Installation was conducted by a commission of the Presbytery of Dromore and the act of Installation was conducted by the Rev Andrew Thompson (Moderator) and the Rev John Davey (Clerk).
Brief history as recorded in a book ‘Lisburn’s Rich Church Heritage’ by John Kelly
When the new congregation of Railway Street called Mr David John Clarke to be the first minister, rather than the Rev John Powell who had been conducting services in a hay loft in Castle Street, Mr Powell and his supporters began holding services in a carpenter’s shop, fitted up for the purpose. When he had organised a congregation Mr Powell applied to the original Secession Synod for admission and was installed in 1861. In 1863 a Mr Sloan offered a site for a Meeting House of the new congregation of Sloan Street and the present church was built in 1900. In 1877 the congregation joined the General Assembly. During the ministry of the Rev James McAllister, extensive renovations were carried out to the church, and a new church hall was built. In 1964 a new manse at Clonevin Park replaced the former one on the Belsize Road, now the Masonic Hall. The present minister, the Rev John Keefe, was installed in December 1976. During his ministry several auxiliary rooms were added to the rear of the church in 1992 and in 2001 a new church hall was erected and improvements made to the original church hall complex.