Big thank you from

St. Colman’s Church Dromore

The Very Rev Patrick J Murray Parish Priest St. Colman’s Church, Dromore. Inside St. Colman’s Church, Dromore

The Very Rev Patrick J Murray
Parish Priest

St. Colman’s Church, Dromore.

"Inside St. Colman’s Church, Dromore”

Maypole Hill, Dromore.

Parish Priest: The Very Rev. The Very Rev Patrick J Murray

Telephone: 9269 2218

Mass Times















(*Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament Saturday
10.00 am - 11.00 am)

Website: St. Colman’s web Site


The present, majestic Parish Church of Dromore replaced a much smaller Mass House built on a site granted by the Church of Ireland Bishop Percy, to provide for those attending the ‘Mass Forth’ on his demesne. The older building was located about thirty yards to the south of the present church. Fr. Edward Greenan P.P. had overseen the building of it in 1782. This church was substantially renovated in 1829 at a cost of £350. The planning of the present church of Saint Colman began forty years later. The Dominican Bishop of Dromore, Dr. Leahy, laid the foundation stone on 27th October 1871. The architect was Timothy Hevey of Belfast and it was designed after the style of early English Gothic. Built in black stone, with freestone dressings, the walls are supported with courses and buttresses. The church consists principally of a nave, with two side aisles and dividing arches. A fine square tower and spire were included in the original building – the main entrance to the church, a recessed door with an impressive hooded moulding, being located at the base of the tower. After a period of two years in construction, the church was completed in the autumn of 1873 at a cost of almost £17,000. It was officially opened and dedicated on 28th September 1873. The Bishop of Dromore, Dr Leahy conducted the Dedication ceremony and the sermon was delivered by the Rev Thomas Burke, a prominent Dominican preacher at the time.

A Catholic school erected in 1862 was soon to be replaced by the present St. Colman’s Church. When the church was opened in 1873, the new school hosted a reception for guests afterwards. The present St. Colman’s Primary school was opened in September 1969 and the old school premises were reconstructed as parish function rooms.

A house for priests was built close to the old Catholic Church sometime during the period when Fr John Sharkey was Parish Priest (1844-1859). It was replaced by the present imposing Parochial House built in 1911 while Fr. John O’Hare was Parish Priest.

The church was tragically attacked by arsonists in January 1993 and following expensive repair the church was rededicated in November 1993. Sadly it was attacked again in March 1994. This time £30,000 worth of damage was caused after petrol was poured through windows and a fire started. A fire attack was also made on the Parochial House in July 1993.

The present Parish Priest, the Very Rev Patrick J Murray, was installed at St Colman’s, Dromore, on Sunday 27th August 2006, replacing the Very Rev Patrick G Conway who retired a few days earlier. Fr. Murray’s Parish area also includes St. Colman’s Church, Dromore

Compiled from an article written by Fr. Andrew McMahon, published by the Dromore Diocese Historical Society in 2004.