|St. James’s Parish Church, Lower Kilwarlin.||Notice Board at St. James’s Parish Church, Lower Kilwarlin.|
|Rev. David Pierce Rector|
Kilwarlin (Lower) - St. James’s Parish Church
Lany Road, Lower Kilwarlin, Hillsborough.
Rector: Rev. David Pierce
Telephone: 9268 3299
Sunday services: 10.00am
Morning Prayer: 1st, 4th and 5th Sunday
Holy Communion: 1st Sunday
Family Service: 3rd Sunday
panel at St. James’s Parish Church,
Brief history as recorded in a book ‘Lisburn’s Rich Church Heritage’ by John Kelly
The grouped parishes of Upper and Lower Kilwarlin are in a rural area located on the outskirts of Hillsborough, around fifteen miles from the south side of Belfast. There are around 110 families in both churches. The buildings are examples of typical Anglican country churches. St James’s Church was built in 1840 when Richard Mant was Bishop of Down. During his period as bishop he was the prime mover behind the foundation of the Church Accommodation Society. Having travelled widely throughout the diocese he noticed the poor state of repair of many of the churches. By the time he died at the age of 72 he had built and consecrated thirty-eight churches whilst a further seven were consecrated by his successor. The present rector, the Rev David Pierce, was instituted as rector of St James and St John’s at a service in St James Parish Church in March 2000.