|St John’s Parish Church, Moira, consecrated in 1723.||Notice Board at St John’s Parish Church, Moira.|
Rev. Canon Roderic West
Rector: Rev. Canon Roderic West
Telephone: 9261 1268
Curate: Rev. Joanne Megarrell
Telephone: 9261 7346
Youth Ministry Co-ordinator: Simon Henry
Lay Reader: Bertie Logan
Parish Office Telephone: 9261 7136
9.00am Holy Communion
10.00am Morning Worship in the Parish Centre
with Sunday School and crèche
11.30am Morning Prayer
6.30pm Evening Prayer
|Simon Henry Youth Ministry Co-ordinator||Bertie Logan
St John’s Parish Church Choir
Mrs Irene Cunningham - Organist (4th from left), Bertie Logan - Lay Reader, the Rev John Alderdice (guest speaker), the Rev Canon Roderic West - Rector and the Rev Joanne Megarrell - Curate, pictured with St John’s Parish Church Choir at the 2006 Harvest Thanksgiving Service.
HISTORYThe Parish, which was originally part of Magheralin Parish, was established in 1721; prior to this, people had met in the local school for worship. A portion of land opposite Moira Castle was given by the Hill family, later the Marquises of Downshire, as the site for the Church.
The Rawdon Family made a significant contribution towards the cost of constructing the Church. The building work began in 1722 and the Church was consecrated the following year.
The architectural lines blend with the 18th century houses of Moira from which it stands apart. The Georgian elegance of the Church is enhanced by the tall copper-clad spire, which replaced the original slate steeple, which was blown down in a freak storm in 1884. Of interest within, is the ancient reredos with the creed inscribed in gold letters on Irish linen; the inner west door and communion rails are said to have come from the Castle.
In the 1950s, the possibility of a parochial meeting place was investigated, as needs of various parochial organisations grew. Several options were considered, and the location of the Parochial Hall was finalised in 1954, when Mr W. Martin donated land in the centre of the village. Work, however, did not begin until 1960. The Parochial Hall was officially opened on 24th June 1961.
In February 1998, a car bomb caused significant structural damage to the Parochial Hall and it was subsequently demolished. Much thought was put into the replacement as the needs of the church had outgrown the original building. The new Parish Centre, greatly enlarged to enable the church to continue to flourish and develop, was opened on 26th October 2002.
Followed a programme of repairs and refurbishment carried out to the 285 year old church building, the Rt Revd Harold Miller, Bishop of Down and Dromore led a service of re-dedication on Friday 14th November 2008. The repairs and refurbishment of the Parish Church included: stripping off and replacing the pebble dashing on the exterior of the building including the tower; carrying out structural repairs to strengthen the spire/tower repairing and refurbishing the windows; replacing some of the quoin stones replacing the decorative sandstone at the main door provision of an emergency exit door interior redecoration; and provision of disabled access by lowering the driveway at the main doorway and surrounding area.
The Rev Canon Roderic West was instituted as Rector in June 1995. He was appointed Canon of Dromore Cathedral in April 2005 and on Sunday 23rd November 2008 he was installed as Chancellor on the Chapter of Dromore Cathedral. The Rev Joanne Megarrell was ordained and came to Moira as Curate in June 2003. Johnny Beare, who was appointed as Youth Ministry Co-ordinator in June 2005 was succeeded by Simon Henry in December 2006.
Brief history as recorded in a book ‘Lisburn’s Rich Church Heritage’ by John Kelly
The parish, which was originally part of Magheralin parish, was established in 1721; prior to this, people had met in the local school for worship. The Hill family gave the site for the church and the Rawdon family made a significant contribution towards the cost of constructing the church, which was consecrated in 1723. The Georgian elegance of the church is enhanced by the tall copper-clad spire, which replaced the original slate steeple blown down in a freak storm in 1884. Of interest within, is the ancient reredos with the creed inscribed in gold letters on Irish linen; the inner west door and communion rails are said to have come from Moira Castle. In 1954 Mr W Martin donated land in the centre of the village and the parochial hall was opened in June 1961. In February 1998, a car bomb caused structural damage to the parochial hall and it was subsequently demolished and the new Parish Centre was opened in October 2002. Following a programme of repairs and refurbishment the church was re-dedicated by Bishop Harold Miller on 14th November 2008. Work, which commenced in September 2007, included replacing the pebble dashing; repairs to the spire/tower, refurbishing windows, quoin stones and decorative sandstone; provision of an emergency exit door and disabled access and interior redecoration. The Rev Roderic West, who was instituted as Rector in June 1995, was appointed Canon of Dromore Cathedral in April 2005. The Rev Joanne Megarrell was appointed Curate in June 2003. Canon West and Miss Megarrell are assisted by Simon Henry (Youth Ministry Co-ordinator), Bertie Logan (Lay Reader) and Barry Harrison (Parish Reader).