|St. Joseph’s Church, Hannahstown.|
Parish Priest: The Very Rev. David Delargy
Telephone: 9061 4567
Priest in Residence: The Rt. Rev Monsignor John J Murphy
Telephone: 9264 8244.
Sunday Mass: 7.30pm Vigil; 10am.
A small church was erected by Fr Hugh O’Donnell at Hannahstown in 1797. Thirty tears later it was replaced by St Joseph’s, on a site given gratuitously by John McCance, a liberal-minded Protestant landowner of the district. Bishop Crolly, thanking him for his generous and disinterested benefaction at the dedication of the church, appealed, as he often did, to his Catholic congregation to shun all bigotry and intolerance and practise at all times the virtue of charity.
The church was later extended and renovated in 1998 and a new parochial house was built.
The above history of St. Peter’s and St. Joseph’s Church is taken from a book entitled Down and Connor – A Short History, by Ambrose Macaulay