|St. Mark’s Church, Ballymacash, opened in 1975.||Notice Board|
Rev. Canon George Irwin
Glenavy Road, Ballymacash, Lisburn.
Rector: Rev. Canon George Irwin
Telephone: 9266 2393
Holy Communion: 9.00am
Morning Service: 11.00am
Evening Service: 7.00pm
Web site: www.connor.anglican.org
Brief history as recorded in a book ‘Lisburn’s Rich Church Heritage’ by John Kelly
Canon Joseph Atkinson Stewart was responsible for the building of the Chapel of Ease in Ballymacash in 1892 having earlier provided substantial financial support to the Mission Hall in which services had previously been held. He moved from Pond Park House to Killowen House (now better known as Killowen Hospital) on the Ballymacash Road and provided employment for a great many people resident in the immediate locality.
The first sod for the new building was cut on 23rd September 1973; the foundation stone laid on 2nd February 1974 and the new church and hall was opened on 26th September 1975.
The minor hall, known as the Canon Jones Hall, was erected in 1986 and a new kitchen and committee room created in 1994. The Rev Canon George Irwin was instituted as Rector in December 1988. Mr Kenneth Gamble was appointed assistant in September 2004 and was ordained to serve as curate assistant in June 2007. Ricky Taylor was appointed Youth Pastor in May 2006. Work on an extension to the rectory was completed in January 2007. Plans have been drawn up for the re-roofing of the church and parochial hall. The bell from the old church (now the Lisburn Reformed Presbyterian Church) is soon to be erected at the present St Mark’s Church - a significant link with the past.
A full history of the church by Mr Brian Kelly (Published 1991) is shown on this web site: Click on: A Tale of two Churches St Mark's Church Ballymacash