FROM the earliest days Of Lisburn there were many men who gained local fame and some that secured fame and fortune in other lands.
In a book. 'Some Recollections of Hugh McCall's published for private circulation in 1899 just two years after his death, John Hancock son of the philanthropist, who in 1760 erected the Quaker School is recalled.
An extensive linen merchant Mr. Hancock, in the famine year of 1800, when the price of wheat was 130/- the quarter and the retail price of oatmeal was 10/- the sieve of 20lbs., imported from Philadelphia 200 tons of Indian meal the first example of that article ever seen in Ulster.
He also brought over 500 barrels of American flour, and both were sold at cost price to the more distressed families of Lisburn.
Among the Ulstermen who did much to build up the progress and add to the prosperity of Canada, the members of the Workman family must take a high place.
Benjamin Workman taught school in Lisburn. Sailed for Montreal in 1820 and in time became the proprietor of the Gazette pub in that city The next eldest, Alexander Workman, became mayor of Montreal, another brother William was a leading banker in the same city and a fourth, Thomas sat in the Dominion Parliament for many sessions.
Sir James Macauley Higginson who resided at Brookhill distinguished himself in the Army. Secretary to Lord Metcalfe, a Governor of Canada, he was afterwards appointed as Governor of the West Indian colony and later of Mauritius.
In the educational world Lisburn has had its famous men, and one of the most prominent was Mr. Benjamin Neely. Among his pupils were Thomas Spence, A. T. Stewart, Brigadier General Nicholson, Sergent Armstrong, Major Crossley, Colonel Garrett, Surgeon General lames Graham and Colonel Joseph Beatty.
Seven to a house
The number of houses in Lisburn and the suburbs in 1778 was 654. The population about 4,500.
Famous son of Lisburn
NAPPER Tandy, a prominent United Irishman and hero of 'the Wearing of the Green' was a son of James Tandy, a linen manufacturer who lived in Bridge Street, Lisburn. He was born in 1740 and died in France in 1803.
PIPER'S Hill received its name in 1641. During the battle of Lisburn the head of a piper of one of the regiments was blown off and rolled down the hill - hence the name
IN the year 1579 Castle Robin on the White Mountain was re-built by Sir Robert Norton. Earlier a stronghold of the O'Neill's stood on the same site.
First coach in 1790
THE first mail coach commenced to run between Belfast, Dublin and Cork calling at Lisburn in 1790.