|Christ Church, Lisburn.|
Rev John Pickering
Rev. Paul Dundas
Lisburn - Christ Church
Hillsborough Road, Lisburn.
Rector: Rev. Paul Dundas
Telephone: 9266 2163
Curate: Rev. Diane Matchett
Telephone: 9266 5897
Morning Prayer: 11.30am
Evening Prayer: 6.30pm
2nd Sun. Morning Prayer: 10.15am
Parish Communion: 11.30am
Worship during July and August will be at 10.30am.
1st Sunday: 8.30am
2nd Sunday: 11.30am
4th Sunday: 6.30pm
Saints Days as announced
Web site: www.christchurchlisburn.co.uk
Wesley Dickinson - Rector’s Warden and Ann Elliott - People’s Warden
Rev. Paul Dundas -
Rector of Christ Church, Lisburn and Richard Yarr -
of Music pictured with Christ Church
L to R: (front) Sylvia Creighton - Choir Secretary, Richard Yarr – Director of Music, Rev. Paul Dundas - Rector, Jean McIlveen and Maisie Meenagh.
(second row) Norma Walker, Margaret Little, Daphne Sloan, Pauline Graham, Natalie Thompson and Doreen Berry.
(third row) Betty Wilson, Ann Elliott, Maureen Doran, Muriel Sloan and Hilary Torney. (back row) Brian Littler, Eric Thompson, Eric Grangle, Tim Littler and Sam McIlveen. Missing from the photo: Renee Madden - Deputy Organist, Jean Briggs, Winifred Bell, Freda Scott, Ann Walker and Kelly Alexander.
Christ Church Choir, Lisburn, have a long tradition of four-part choral singing. Besides leading church worship, this award-winning choir fundraise for the church through ventures such as concerts and cake-sales, and have even taken part in ‘It’s A Knock-Out’ competitions. They also enjoy an annual weekend away, exploring their more social side. Mr Richard Yarr has been their Director of Music since 1992.
|Notice Board at Christ Church, Lisburn.||Stone panel above the church hall door at Christ Church|
In about 1840 there was a considerable increase in the population of Lisburn owing to the erection the Flax Spinning Mills and Threadworks. As the majority of the workers employed in these mills were professedly members of the Church of the Ireland, it was felt that an effort should be made to provide increased church accommodation in the town, by building a Chapel of Ease, in which free sittings would be provided for working people. Accordingly, a committee, composed of Captain Bolton, Messrs. William Caldbeck, David Beatty, and other gentlemen, was formed for the purpose. Application having been made to Dean Stannus, Agent of Hertford estate, for a suitable site, a field in the immediate vicinity of the town, on the Hillsborough Road, was placed at the disposal of the committee. The field offered was at that time in the occupancy of Mr. Parker Major, who, when waited upon by the Committee, generously surrendered his claim, and by handing over possession greatly facilitated the work which was in hand. In addition to the granting of the site, the Marquis of Hertford generously gave a donation of £400 towards the cost of erection.
Plans and specifications were prepared by the late Sir. Charles Lanyon. Two local builders, Messrs. Arthur Morgan and James Vernon, were appointed to build the edifice with seating for 500 worshippers, at a total cost of £4,800. The “New Church” as it then was called was opened for worship on 20th November 1842 and the special preacher was The Hon. and Rev. Henry Ward, Rector of Killinchy and son of the Second Viscount Bangor. The church is built of black stone, chiselled from a design of Mr. Laynon. The tower is a beautiful structure, 72 feet in height; it is of the ancient Gothic school of architecture, surmounted by castellated turrets.
During the first 21 years of its life, the “New Church” remained under the general control of the Cathedral of Christ Church, Lisburn, otherwise Lisburn Cathedral, as a Chapel of Ease, and its first Curate was the Rev. John Nash Griffin; followed in 1845 by the Rev. J. Hudson, whose incumbency was of a short duration. He was succeeded by the Rev. Hartley Hodson in 1846 who was appointed Rector of Derrykeighan in 1863.
After the Religious Revival of 1859, the North and south transepts and the gallery were constructed and the additions provided accommodation for a further 280 worshippers. At a special service on 10th June 1860, to mark the completion of the work, the special preacher was the Rev. John N. Griffin, the first Curate of the New Church, then Minister of Spring Grove, Middlesex.
A Deed of Endowment dated 15th September 1863, assigned a Pastoral District or Parish to the “New Church”. The church was consecrated on 24th September 1863 and the Rev. William D. Pounder, B.A. was appointed Perpetual Curate and Rector and held the incumbency for 21 years. In 1884 he was promoted to the Rectory of Lisburn
In 1864, the Nicholson Memorial Hall was erected for a Sunday School by Mrs. Nicholson in memory of her six children: James, Alexander, William, John, Lily and Charles. A statue in Market Square, Lisburn, commemorates one - General John Nicholson, of Indian Mutiny fame. On 31st October 1874, the Bishop of the United Diocese, the Rt. Rev. R. Knox, consecrated the Nicholson Memorial aisle. It was designed by Thomas Drew, and is a memorial to the late Mrs. Nicholson.
During the incumbency of the Rev. Canon Arthur Noble, M.A. (1961-82) a massive building and reconstruction and refurbishment programme was carried out involving expenditure of approximately £150,000. The old Nicholson Memorial Hall was completely modernised and a new minor hall, porch and games room were built and officially opened by Mrs. A. Noble and dedicated by the Lord Bishop of Connor, the Rt. Rev. A. H. Butler on 9th January 1976.
During the incumbency of the Rev. Canon Samuel McComb, G.O.E. (1982-2004) a further massive building and reconstruction and refurbishment programme was carried out on the church and its ancillary buildings, involving expenditure of over £1,000,000. In 1982 the porch of the church was rebuilt and enlarged, and is now known as ‘The Noble Porch’ as a tribute to the services of the Rev. Canon Arthur Noble, Rector. The church halls were renovated and on 3rd November 1995 the renovation of these halls were dedicated by the Lord Bishop of Connor, the Rt. Rev. J. E. Moore. The church was treated for the effects of dry rot and new pews and flooring were installed. In addition to these massive sums, the parishioners of Christ Church donated £26,000 i.e. half of the cost of its daughter church, St. Paul’s, Lisburn, which was opened in 1964. Over the years, the faithfulness and the generosity of the parishioners have been consistent and remarkable.
More recently the Parish built a spacious modern rectory on the traditional site adjacent to the Church. It cost £330,000 to build and was dedicated by the Rural Dean, the Rev. Peter Galbraith, on Sunday 16th October 2005. The key was passed by the young people from the church to the rectory and the key opening ceremony was performed by Dr. Samuel Semple, Samuel Bird and Emma Crowe.
Since 1863 the Parish has been served by 47 curates and 12 rectors. The present Rector, the Rev Paul Dundas, was instituted in January 2005 and the Rev Diane Matchett was ordained as Curate in June 2005 and was ordained Priest at a Service of Ordination in Lisburn Cathedral on Sunday 18th June 2006 and Brian Littler was commissioned Parish Reader in June 2006. The Rev John Pickering, formerly Rector of Drumcree Parish Church, was appointed senior minister in January 2008 in succession to the Rev Canon Dr Ken Cochrane, who left at the end of September 2007.
Compiled largely from the History of Lisburn and from research supplied (21st February 2006) by Dr. Samuel Semple.
Also https://www.lisburn.com/books/star_brochure/star_brochure2.htm “Flourishes in obedience to God’ Word, The Spiritual Borough.”
Brief history as recorded in a book ‘Lisburn’s Rich Church Heritage’ by John Kelly
The ‘New Church’ as it then was called was opened for worship on 20th November 1842. It cost £4,800 and seated 500 people. During the first twenty-one years of its life it remained under the general control of Lisburn Cathedral, as a Chapel of Ease. After the Religious Revival of 1859, the north and south transepts and the gallery were constructed and the additions provided accommodation for a further 280 worshippers. A deed of endowment dated 15th September 1863, assigned a Pastoral District or Parish to the New Church. The church was consecrated on 24th September 1863 and the Rev William D Pounden was appointed perpetual curate and rector. Reconstruction and refurbishment on the church and its ancillary buildings cost approx £150,000 during Canon Noble’s ministry, and over £1,000,000 during Canon McComb’s ministry. More recently the new rectory, erected in 2005, cost £330,000. Since 1863 the Parish has been served by forty-seven curates and twelve rectors; the present rector, the Rev Paul Dundas, was instituted in January 2005. Brian Littler was commissioned parish reader in June 2006 and in January 2008 the Rev John Pickering was appointed senior minister in succession to the Rev Canon Dr Ken Cochrane, who left at the end of September 2007.