Big thank you from

Tommy lays a wreath to remember lost friends

Tommy Jess, second from right, at the recent memorial service. Pic by Gordon Ridgewell. US1210- Tommy Jess and his wife at the Lapwing HMS Memorial in Saffron Walden. Pic by Gordon Ridgewell. US1210-
Tommy Jess, second from right, at the recent memorial service. Pic by Gordon Ridgewell. US1210- Tommy Jess and his wife at the Lapwing HMS Memorial in Saffron Walden. Pic by Gordon Ridgewell. US1210-

EVERY March 20th brings vivid memories of lost friends flooding back to old sailor Tommy Jess. And last weekend was no exception when he travelled to Saffron Walden, as he does every two years, to mark the anniversary of the sinking of HMS Lapwing by a German torpedo.

However, this year was particularly poignant for the local man as the memorial marked the 65th anniversary of the sinking and Tommy, who listened sadly as the names of all those lost were read out during the service, laid a wreath on behalf of the three remaining survivors of the tragedy. He was also very moved recently to receive a letter from the Embassy of the Russian Federation, who are creating a medal to honour those from the UK who served on the Russian Convoys during the war. Tommy was hailed a hero when he returned to Dromore in 1945 after surviving the torpedo attack, but the 87-year-old can still recall clearly the hours following the attack and the struggle for survival on a life raft in the icy sea.

Tommy Jess. US11-557JCBefore the war he worked at Mackey's engineering company in Belfast and whilst the staff were out on strike one of his colleagues suggested enlisting as something to do to ease the boredom.

While his friends joined the army and air force, Tommy was the only one to join the navy for one simple reason - he liked the uniform!

He left his family behind in 1942 and began his naval training. He came home to Dromore on leave several times and always found it hard to go away again.

"Many times I came home and wished I wasn't going back because I knew what I was going back to," he said.

In 1944 Tommy was on board one of the ships which escorted the American troops to Omaha Beach for the D-Day invasion. "We saw a lot of action and a lot of bodies too," Tommy simply said.

After surviving the horrors of the D-Day landings, little did he know that a greater horror was yet to come.

After D-Day his ship, HMS Lapwing, became part of the Russian Convoy, escorting ships through the treacherous, submarine-infested waters off the Russian coast.

The Lapwing left Greenock on its last voyage, into Russian waters on March 11, 1945 and at 10.58am on March 20 a German submarine torpedoed the ship, knocking the captain unconscious.

Tommy recalls: "We knew there were submarines in the area but we didn't think it would happen to us. When the torpedo hit I was blown about 10 yards down the deck and all I had was skinned knuckles. We got the order 'every man for himself' and in less than ten minutes there was no ship left."

Tommy and some of his ship mates managed to climb onto a life raft. He remembers watching the ship vanish into the icy waters and feared that they would all be dragged under with it.

"The raft was attached to the ship with a rope. We were so scared that we would be pulled down. I was the only one with a knife so I got it out and cut the rope."

Over the next two hours, Tommy drifted in and out of consciousness. He remembers 16 people on the raft but by the time they were rescued only six remained. "It was snowing and I remember seeing the rescue boat coming through the haze but I blacked out just after that and don't remember being rescued. "Our worst enemy was the weather. Some of the men had been clinging to a rope on the raft and their hands had frozen around the rope so they had to break their fingers. It was an awful experience."

The survivors from HMS Lapwing were rescued by HMS Savage. Once on board the survivors were examined by the ship's doctor, who said they would only have survived another 20 minutes in the freezing conditions. In a bid to bring them round they were put under hot showers and as Tommy recalls: "They poured brandy down our throats."

Before returning home, the six survivors had their photograph taken, a poignant reminder of the trauma they endured together. The six then parted company.

Tommy Jess (Back Row, third from right) and the other raft survivors not long after being picked up off the coast of Murmansk. Back Row (Left to Right) Stoker Hector Shorthouse, Able Seaman Albert Simpson, Able Seaman Thomas Jess, 0rdinary Seaman Leonard Vincent. Front Row, left to right, Petty 0fficer Donald MacKinnon, Engine Room Artificer Stanley Jones. US07-712SP

Tommy, who is one of just three remaining survivors, has pledged to continue attending the memorial services, which are held every two years, as long as he is able.

Ulster Star