Big thank you from

Young man loses arm in accident


Clarehill Plastics A 21-YEAR-old man has lost an arm in a tragic accident at a manufacturing company in Moira.

The man was rushed to hospital last Thursday after getting his arm trapped in a piece of machinery at Clarehill Plastics plant.

He was engaged in maintenance of the equipment when his arm got caught at the Clarehill Road factory just before fpm. Firefighters were called to cut him free and he was then taken to the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast where it is believed he underwent an operation.

Clarehill Plastics managing director Brian McCann said an investigation into the incident was still live but confirmed the man was currently recovering in hospital.

He described him as an 'incredible individual' who has worked with the company for three years and said he was in good spirits. Mr. McCann said the man had been maintaining one of the machines when the accident occurred.

This incident is currently under investigation but nothing of this kind has ever happened before at the plant," he said. "We are doing all we can to help with the investigation so that nothing like it will ever happen again.

"We have been in daily contact with the man. He is currently at the Royal Victoria Hospital and I have visited him as have a number of the other directors.

"We are all very shocked by the accident.

He is an incredible, competent young man and is bearing up incredibly well."

Mr. McCann said the company was working with Health and Safety experts to ensure this type of accident could not happen again.

A spokesperson for the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service said: "Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS) received a call to an incident at Clarehill Plastics, Clarehill Road, Moira on Thursday January 6, 2011 at 12.57 hours. "A 21 year old male had his arm heavily trapped in machinery. Two fire appliances from Lurgan Fire Station attended, along with Ambulance Service. The man was released from the machinery by paramedics, and assisted by Firefighters, and was taken to hospital by Ambulance."

A spokesperson for Health and Safety Executive said they had sent officers to investigate.
The spokesperson said: We are aware of the incident and we are currently investigating."

Ulster Star