Air photograph of the Giant's Ring, taken in May 1984
Printed by Textflow Ltd., Belfast
It is now four years since the publication of our last journal; in that time a number of significant events have taken place in Lisburn. Primarily, in historical terms, the Irish Linen Centre has opened in Market Square, which gives a picture of the industry from the sowing of the flax seed to the finished product. We watch its development with interest.
Ballance House, near Glenavy, the birthplace of John Ballance, sometime Prime Minister of New Zealand, continues to expand and explore the links between Ulster and New Zealand.
The Society, in 1993, celebrated its 25th birthday with a special lecture and dinner in Castle House. Our guest lecturer was Miss Rosalind Saville, Director of the Wallace Collection in London, who gave a talk on the Sevres Porcelain in the Collection. This had added significance in that the lecture took place in the House which Sir Richard Wallace had built for himself in Lisburn in 1880 and whose restoration the South Eastern Education and Library Board had so magnificently just completed.
The growth of the Society in 1994 entailed moving from Room W6 in the College to the Central Hall in Castle House, a move which, in an historical context, seems more appropriate; the Society is indebted to Dr K. Baird and Mr. A. McReynolds, successively Principals of the College.
Miss Sharon Adams relinquished her position as Secretary of the Society in 1993 after a sustained period of faithful service; Mrs. Peggy Farr continues the good work Mr. Fred Rankin also relinquished the Chairmanship in 1994; his place was taken by Mr. Griffith Black. Finney O'Sullivan continues to act as outings secretary and produces delightful surprises which have made these events so popular. The Society wishes to express its thanks to these and other members whose voluntary work helps the Society to function.
In September 1994, Ivan Cameron passed away peacefully; Ivan had been a very active member of the Society almost from the beginning. We are also the poorer through the passing in March 1995 of Harry Refausse, who had been a founder member of the Society. Harry's ancestors arrived in Lisburn with the Williamite army over 300 years ago; throughout his life he continued to uphold the Anglican faith in both Derriaghy and Lisburn Cathedral.
Barrie Hartwell is Senior Research Officer in the Department of Archaeology and Palaeoecology, School of Geosciences, Q.U.B.
Robin Charley is a member of a well-known Dunmurry family, whose ancestors have lived in the area for almost 300 years.
Dr. Patrick Rogers, who died in 1969, was a member of staff at St. Malachy's College, Belfast
William Kerr, a regular contributor to the Journal, lives in retirement in Derriaghy, where he continues to keep abreast of developments in the Local (and Wider) Historical fields.
Eileen Black is Assistant Keeper in the Art Department at the Ulster Museum; over the years she has contributed a series of articles on Drumbeg to the Journal; the present article is, as the title suggests, a 'Summing Up'.
Tony Merrick is a member of staff with Hearth, a company set up by the Ulster Architectural Heritage Society to restore old buildings. He has written extensively on old Belfast and old Holywood, where he lives.
The world of printing has changed dramatically in the past few years. When the Society brought out its first publication in the mid 1970s hot metal type was still in use, now we are using desk top publishing but have discovered that not all systems are compatible and to resolve a very considerable problem we must thank Dr Kathleen Rankin who gave much valuable time and advice.
On another front Judith Cinnamond with a small group of ladies from the Historical Society raised valuable funds for this Journal by providing a catering service to other organisations.
Eve Cochrane as in the past, again provided a very necessary typing facility.
Our thanks for assembling the articles for this journal go to Ian Gailey, whose quiet persuasion worked wonders with our authors.
|THE PREHISTORY OF THE GIANT'S RING AND BALLYNAHATTY TOWNLAND,||by Barrie Hartwell|
|CHARLEY FAMILY HOUSES IN DUNMURRY,||by Robin Charley|
|A PROTESTANT PIONEER OF CATHOLIC EMANCIPATION,||by Rev. Patrick Rogers|
|THE VIKING ORIGINS OF THE VISCOUNTS CONWAY AND KILLULTAGH,||by William Kerr|
|LISBURN PARLIAMENTARY REPRESENTATIVES IN THE 17th CENTURY, (1663-1700),||by Trevor Neill|
|DRUMBEG 1860 - 1910: A SUMMING UP,||by Eileen Black|
|LISBURN'S CHARTER OF 1662,||by the late WILLIAM SINCLAIR CORKEN|
|SOME NOTICES OF ROUND TOWERS IN THE KILLULTAGH DISTRICT,||by Tony Merrick|
|THE CRUMLIN METEORITE,||ed. by Trevor Neill|
|COUNTY ANTRIM ROOTS?||Request for genealogical information|
|BOOK REVIEW; ORDNANCE SURVEY MEMOIRS, Vols. 8 & 21 60|