Culcavy is a small industrial settlement one mile west of Hillsborough and developed originally as a distilling centre using the nearby Lagan Navigation Canal to receive raw materials. In the 19th century, distilling was replaced by a woollen industry which was later superseded by linen weaving. In the near future it is proposed to have a small industrial estate in Culcavy.
The little town of Dromara, sometimes obliquely described in a travel book of many years ago, "Ballynahinch is a market town near to Dromara", nestles in the hilly country which finds its heights in the beautiful Dromara Mountains with Slieve Croob as their highest peak. Originally this was Magennis territory but it passed into the possession of the Downshire family who provided it with a market house.
The beauty of the countryside, long appreciated by the discerning traveller, is being discovered by more people every year. Its relative "unknownness" is traceable to the fact that while it is the centre of everywhere it was by-passed by road and rail transport going to the larger towns around. Because of that many were encouraged to believe that the professionally recognised routes were the only ones available. Those who are prepared to go off the beaten tracks will appreciate the beauties of the magnificent panoramic scenery to be seen, especially from the Rib and Windy Gap roads which meander over the mountains to Castlewellan and beyond. As many of the holdings are small, farmers are often workmen in other capacities as well. This is a constant reminder that Dromara was once the centre of flax growing and of the mills which prepared the flax for use in the linen factories of the Province. The demise of the linen industry meant that there was no longer a single industry providing employment for large numbers of people. Many Dromara people were compelled to leave the area, some went to Belfast, to Britain, and many to countries around the world.
The district is well favoured by its churches. Two of them are of particular historical and architectural value. There is the ancient church of St. John (Church of Ireland) cruciform shaped now - the transepts were added in 1894 and reconstructed in 1811. In recent years the building has been restored and new features added which enhance its appearance and add greatly to its comfort. The first distinctive feature to impress the visitor is the fine clock tower. The very pleasant interior has a peculiar attractiveness in its simplicity. Two items are at once noticeable, the fine organ built by Megahey of Cork in 1907 - it was electrified and re-built in 1957 - and the James Pollock Memorial Window, installed and dedicated November 1974 in memory of his 60 years as organist of the Church, 1912-1972.
The other church of architectural merit is First Dromara Presbyterian Church, "The big meeting house". It was built in 1826 and is a typical barn church of the period. Sited on Artana Hill it overlooks the countryside with its hills and valleys, villages and towns, away to Black Mountain and Cave Hill as they tower over Belfast itself. Much work has been done to the fabric and furnishing of the edifice. The interior has been remodelled and modern pews installed. Like St. John's, First Dromara Presbyterian Church has beside it a church hall, the one dating from 1957, the other from 1974.
Drumbo boasts the stump of one of the three round towers known to exist in Co. Down looking like the ruin of a windmill behind the Presbyterian Church. This church with its blackstone facade was built in 1882.
The Housing Executive are committed to the erection of further dwellings in Drumbo, but at present the number is uncertain. It is unlikely that there will be significant private development in the village.
Drumbeg has been described by the Parliamentary Gazetteer in 1846 as "Rich in those features of landscape which possess beauty without grandeur, picturesqueness without power. Villas are so numerous both within and immediately beyond the limits as almost to melt into one another, and form a pervading or general feature of the charming scenery." This to-day could still adequately describe the parishes and hamlets on the Southern boundary of Belfast except that there are fewer picturesque villas (country retreats) than in past days. St. Patrick's Parish Church tower dates from 1798; the spire from 1833 and the remainder of the Church from 1870. The bells date from 1685.
The only further development of this village will be a limited extension of the existing private housing.
To the north of the Borough Dundrod is on the route from Lisburn to Antrim and Belfast Airport. It is on the low ground below Tullyrusk and the Be Hill and the buildings comprise of a church, church hall, school and Post Office.
It is not expected that there will be any growth in the area in the near future.
Dunmurry, situated along the main Belfast/Lisburn Road, has expanded considerably as a result of new private and public housing development. the area is surrounded by open landscape including a golf course to the north, the lower slopes of the Antrim Hills to the west, Moss Side to the south and the Logan Valley to the east. The area is close to the Lagan Valley Regional Park which is a valuable amenity beside such a large area of population. The River Lagan flows through a lovely stretch of countryside here and overlooking the area is the attractive Collin Mountain with its famous Collin Glen. Close to Dunmurry is the village of Derriaghy, another attractive little village. The parish church is of interest with church registers dating from 1696.
Edenderry is a village which grew up around the mill. The mill building of early 19th century is on the site of a much older bleach-green. The red-bricked terraces of the mill workers overlook the Lagan and the mill. Near Edenderry is the prehistoric Giant's Ring, an ancient monument of great size and simplicity. It is a great circular banked enclosure with a diameter of over 600 feet with the remains of a dolmen in the centre.